Transfers with IU Interest

5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm fine with differing opinions and I don't mind debate at all.  Where I push back is when a poster puts forth an opinion as fact and tells everyone who disagrees that they "don't get it."  It's April.  I'm not at all concerned.  I won't be concerned if nothing has changed in two weeks either.  I think everyone would agree that IU is pretty thin at SF, at least in proven production, but a lot will change between now and November...I'd bet on it.

Certainly…It’s not November and as I’ve notated in prior messages that I’m optimistic we’ll get good players in the coming weeks.

Listen, we all want IU to win…and I don’t think anything I said now or prior was extreme as was mentioned in your previous post.

• Confused 1

Just now, Indykev said:

Pulling 2 5 stars and a couple of others in year 1. 2 4 stars and the #2 player in the portal so far for next year. We miss on the #53 rated player in the portal and now the staff can't recruit is dumbest shit ever written on this board. Think about how stupid that sounds!!!

Well, now that you put it that way 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ledies22 said:

I meant Woodson. How do you think Woodson has performed on the court during the season.

He's been a breath of fresh air from Archie although that isn't hard to do. I thought the team responded nicely to some early season adversity given some of the injuries but in the grand scheme of things, pretty uninspiring regular season given how bad the B10 was. Sweeping Purdue for the first time in a decade was enjoyable. That being said, IU was overmatched and outcoached in several games with a legit NPOY candidate and a first round guard. 

4 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I am sitting here trying to figure out why you are so emotionally distraught when we are 7 months away from season and for f***'s sake the roster isnt even set yet

The season may be 7 months away, but the window to shore up the roster shuts in 2.5 weeks. We're back to square one after missing out on several of our top perimeter prospects. I'm not sitting on my hands waiting for a rabbit to be pulled out of a hat. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

The lack of activity on wings can probably traced to two things:

1. Woody and Co think the current players on our roster are ready to step up and haven’t prioritized wing transfers to the degree we think they should’ve. (Hope this is the case)

2. The transfer prospects saw our offense last year. Opposing coaches just need to show the tape. What those tapes will show is Miller Kopp sitting in the corner and a 5 star in Tamar Bates basically producing nothing. The wing position under Woody has been the secondary option in both of his years here. Maybe Woody was a victim of his circumstances (injuries, the dominance of TJD, missed recruits, etc.). And our staff can say that they are going to change the offense until they are blue in the face, but until there’s tape on how they want the offense to look we are at a disadvantage.

Just calling a spade a spade. This is not a doom and gloom post and overall I’m optimistic. I’m not saying the offense CAN’T develop into this, but some need to align their expectations with reality. Selling this ‘vision’ is an uphill battle because right now, that’s all it is: a vision. Especially when other coaches can swoop in with tape of elite wings who’ve had success in their own programs. 

I’m going to ask an honest question….

If you are a wing who is a top transfer in the portal - a 3 level scorer with NBA aspirations - are you going to go to IU based on the way our offense has played the last 2 years?? 

Fair question. While JHS was technically a PG, he was a 3 level scorer and went from off draft boards to a late lottery/mid round pick. On the role player side, Galloway saw significant improvements on offense and Kopp improved on both sides of the ball.

But, everything still revolved around TJD - and rightfully so. I could see how that might make it tougher to sell to wings, even if the way the offense was run was dictated by having a generational post player.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Looking at the quality of shot we got, having XJ+Cupps+TG, adding rim protection... plus seeing that is basically the only spot we need... I can't imagine why a wing wouldn't give us a listen. 

But you’re still selling a vision. I guess, that’s my point. 

On the flip side, if I’m a PG who’s good in the pick and roll or an athletic big man: Hell yeah, I’m going to IU. I could actually see how those positions were effectively utilized. 

Again, I’m not saying it’s impossible. It’s just a harder sell. 

3 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

He's been a breath of fresh air from Archie although that isn't hard to do. I thought the team responded nicely to some early season adversity given some of the injuries but in the grand scheme of things, pretty uninspiring regular season given how bad the B10 was. Sweeping Purdue for the first time in a decade was enjoyable. That being said, IU was overmatched and outcoached in several games with a legit NPOY candidate and a first round guard. 

The season may be 7 months away, but the window to shore up the roster shuts in 2.5 weeks. We're back to square one after missing out on several of our top perimeter prospects. I'm not sitting on my hands waiting for a rabbit to be pulled out of a hat. 

I think that deadline is to enter (May 11th). The destinations do not have to be finialled before then. I could be wrong. Not sure.

• Thanks 1

Just now, tdhoosier said:

But you’re still selling a vision. I guess, that’s my point. 

On the flip side, if I’m a PG who’s good in the pick and roll or an athletic big man: Hell yeah, I’m going to IU. I could actually see how those positions were effectively utilized. 

Again, I’m not saying it’s impossible. It’s just a harder sell. 

Ehh.. I don't think so at all. All you have to do is show all the close outs that Kopp couldn't attack. 

1 hour ago, IndyResident16 said:

IU needed more than one piece in the portal dude. We had 5 open scholarships and 3, maybe 4 starting spots up for grabs. We landed a kid with high upside with motor issues to fill one spot. Where's the perimeter scoring? Perimeter defense? Athleticism? Shooting? Scoring? Where they at?

I left for a few hours and all heck broke loose. Maybe I missed it but when did the portal close???? I mean are you telling me the thousand or so in it can’t commit anymore and no one else can jump in now?? Hmm seems we are being a little hasty. I mean there are a ton of kids that declared for the draft that can come back and a lot enter the portal when they get feedback.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I left for a few hours and all heck broke loose. Maybe I missed it but when did the portal close???? I mean are you telling me the thousand or so in it can’t commit anymore and no one else can jump in now?? Hmm seems we are being a little hasty. I mean there are a ton of kids that declared for the draft that can come back and a lot enter the portal when they get feedback.

I'm not a huge fan of consolation prizes. 

Wake me up when our perimeter scoring and athleticism has been addressed. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

That is correct. After May 11th, what you see is what you get. Hope the staff has a plan, they need one. 

Not accurate. 5/11 is the deadline to enter the portal, it's incredibly far from any deadline for rosters to be finalized. 

Kids can commit whenever they want basically. There's also a reason a lot of the NBA draft entrants announce their entering the portal or keeping their eligibility open, because it means if they ultimately pull out of the draft then they are still in the portal. 

The 5/11 date almost literally means nothing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, BGleas said:

Not accurate. 5/11 is the deadline to enter the portal, it's incredibly far from any deadline for rosters to be finalized. 

Kids can commit whenever they want basically. There's also a reason a lot of the NBA draft entrants announce their entering the portal or keeping their eligibility open, because it means if they ultimately pull out of the draft then they are still in the portal. 

The 5/11 date almost literally means nothing. 

It is accurate. After May 11th nobody else can enter the portal. Whoever is in the portal after May 11th are your options to choose from. Not that hard to understand. Guys in the portal after 5/11 are likely their for a reason. We needed filets not table scraps this portal season. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

I'm not a huge fan of consolation prizes. 

Wake me up when our perimeter scoring and athleticism has been addressed. 

If you promise to quit posting how bad the staff is I’m sure someone will. Lol I don’t get the reason for the sky is falling attitude but it’s you life. Hopefully when we land more kids and fill out the roster we will realize it and it doesn’t get buried under all the 😢 posts about how bad we are. Id hate to miss who we land.

1 minute ago, IndyResident16 said:

It is accurate. After May 11th nobody else can enter the portal. Whoever is in the portal after May 11th are your options to choose from. Not that hard to understand. Guys in the portal after 5/11 are likely their for a reason. We needed filets not table scraps this portal season. 

Not true...

the deadline would be May 11th. Anyone who enters during this period will be able to become immediately eligible if it’s their first time transferring. Anyone who enters afterward will have to apply for a waiver, something that isn’t guaranteed by the NCAA. Grad students are exempt from this rule so veterans can move at any time.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier987 said:

I LOL at some of the posts on this message board. Let’s all accept mediocrity because we’re not Indiana of the ‘80s.

FYI - it’s OK if passionate fans think Indiana should be an easier sell to recruits than Tennessee or Arkansas. It’s a good point and Indiana (in terms of basketball) absolutely is. It what makes us still a top 10-15 job in the country. CMW would absolutely disagree with some of these posters that think otherwise. 

So what does IU have the sell that all of  these others school don't 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

But you're narrative/spin on the 5/11 date is absurd and couldn't be more wrong. Not that hard to understand. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1