Transfers with IU Interest

5 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

Look, I know that everyone is chomping at the bits to land the next commitment, but early in the portal… Ledlum was considered to be the 7th or 8th best transfer available. Just a few days ago, I believe someone here posted that he was 53rd best available. My point is that he’s a decent fish in an increasingly large lake. There’s going to be others from major programs moving into the portal and we’ll be claiming them to be the next must have.

That being said, I do believe that the B1G has a major perception problem in hoops. They have to make changes that are more appealing to young men looking to showcase their abilities on the basketball court. I think Woodson has and will continue to make IU a destination, but the majority of the league lacks flash and/or any relative success aside from the Michigan teams, Purdue in the regular season, and an occasional run by Ohio State and Maryland team. IU sells prestige and tradition, but even we haven’t been consistent in the postseason in quite some time… although Woody and company are trending in the right direction.

Bingo. 

Big ten HQ does not care How it’s basketball program looks. 

its officiated like a game of prison/tackle basketball. They have failed to have a team make a successful run in march madness in years. And thats off the top of my head. 

short of either the suits at b10 HQ pulling their head out of their ass and realizing their basketball program has an officiating and image problem there is not much IU can do, short of pulling a UCLA and moving to the pac12 or something 

30 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

Look, I know that everyone is chomping at the bits to land the next commitment, but early in the portal… Ledlum was considered to be the 7th or 8th best transfer available. Just a few days ago, I believe someone here posted that he was 53rd best available. My point is that he’s a decent fish in an increasingly large lake. There’s going to be others from major programs moving into the portal and we’ll be claiming them to be the next must have.

That being said, I do believe that the B1G has a major perception problem in hoops. They have to make changes that are more appealing to young men looking to showcase their abilities on the basketball court. I think Woodson has and will continue to make IU a destination, but the majority of the league lacks flash and/or any relative success aside from the Michigan teams, Purdue in the regular season, and an occasional run by Ohio State and Maryland team. IU sells prestige and tradition, but even we haven’t been consistent in the postseason in quite some time… although Woody and company are trending in the right direction.

Didn't see this until now but mentioned something similar on BTB. Big Ten's style of play is doing no favors to programs like IU who don't (or traditionally don't) want to play bully ball. 

2 hours ago, IndyResident16 said:

If you’re fine shrugging off an obvious swing and miss by the staff, then more power to you. But don’t tell me how to act. This was clearly a player that the staff wanted and one that could significantly help next years team. 

You are acting like this is the first ever player any staff hasn't gotten in the history of the damn game. You wont even remember this kid in November. Do you remember Jacque Vaughn and Raef LaFrentz? Bob Knight missed on Vaughn to play a practice round of golf for an event he was playing in, in a couple of days. Missed on LaFrentz to go fishing. Both went to Kansas. You would have stroked out then the way you are acting in this thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Didn't see this until now but mentioned something similar on BTB. Big Ten's style of play is doing no favors to programs like IU who don't (or traditionally don't) want to play bully ball. 

If you watched us last season. Nothing but pick and roll, would you believe a new offense is coming if you were a wing player and a 7 footer just signed a head of you?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Indykev said:

You are acting like this is the first ever player any staff hasn't gotten in the history of the damn game. You wont even remember this kid in November. Do you remember Jacque Vaughn and Raef LaFrentz? Bob Knight missed on Vaughn to play a practice round of golf for an event he was playing in, in a couple of days. Missed on LaFrentz to go fishing. Both went to Kansas. You would have stroked out then the way you are acting in this thread.

I’m not acting like that at all but thanks for your input. 

4 hours ago, Indykev said:

Don't forget Eric Montross

• Like 1

Let me first say that overall I think our fan base is a big asset to the program. Saying that I also think we can be a huge detriment to it as well. We keep trying to come up with all of these excuses to why we haven't been successful the last 25 years. I think one reason is the fans and how we try to get in the way when it comes to recruiting. Someone brought up Hoosier Hysterics but I think their actions get in the way of recruiting because some players might not like getting hit up on social media by creepy older guys.

In the last 25 years we have had 6 coaches, 4 AD's and 4 presidents but the one constant is the fan base. I think the actions of some of our fan base has hurt the program when it comes to recruiting. Just this year we had an idiot fan write TJD a letter criticizing him. You see one of the all time players in zIU history getting ripped it might make you second guess about coming to IU

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Let me first say that overall I think our fan base is a big asset to the program. Saying that I also think we can be a huge detriment to it as well. We keep trying to come up with all of these excuses to why we haven't been successful the last 25 years. I think one reason is the fans and how we try to get in the way when it comes to recruiting. Someone brought up Hoosier Hysterics but I think their actions get in the way of recruiting because some players might not like getting hit up on social media by creepy older guys.

In the last 25 years we have had 6 coaches, 4 AD's and 4 presidents but the one constant is the fan base. I think the actions of some of our fan base has hurt the program when it comes to recruiting. Just this year we had an idiot fan write TJD a letter criticizing him. You see one of the all time players in zIU history getting ripped it might make you second guess about coming to IU

To add to this.  Say a recruit schedules visits to both Indiana and Tennessee.  He's immediately followed on social media by 450 Vols fans and 15,000 Hoosier fans.  The recruit may not view that in the same way the fan base does.  

• Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Disagree...

We've struggled for the past 23 years because we've had Presidents starting with Brand and ending with McRobbie that could give 2 craps about the success of Indiana basketball and wanted to keep anyone even remotely associated with Bob Knight away from the program...

Our fanbase is our greatest strength. IU has been in the top 15 in NCAA basketball attendance for over 50 years straight, even in the face of going 28-56 in the early Crean years.

You always trot this tired argument out when there's a disappointment in recruiting, but it's just not true. Every passionate fanbase has their fair share of Tim Weavers. The cowardice disguised as bravado the internet and social media provides is a testament to that. Go to other fan forums. Even Peegs is mild in comparison. 

I'll be the first one to admit that a fishbowl like Bloomington isn't for everybody, but we've finally got a guy in place that can meld the past into the present, and a President and AD that are aware what IU basketball means, not just to the institution, but to the state as a whole. They don't want to erase our history as some did... They want to add to it... 

Give them time... 

I am not just talking about the fans being negative. It can be the over zealous fans who go to social media begging kids to come to IU. Also you only read the part of my post you wanted to because I said that our fan base for the most part is great.

47 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

IU’s fan base has kept the fire lit on a damp program. Especially the older generations that remember when IU men’s basketball was dominant. History is only relevant when it’s known. If anything, the fan base has helped the program.

New recruits could care less about scorned fans of the past. I’ve not heard one instance where a recruit said ‘no way man those fans are crazy. They said mean things on twitter when their team lost and for that reason I chose the sunshine pumpers’.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am not just talking about the fans being negative. It can be the over zealous fans who go to social media begging kids to come to IU. Also you only read the part of my post you wanted to because I said that our fan base for the most part is great.

I read the whole thing... I just think saying fans "get in the way" in recruiting is absurd... 

• Like 3

Just now, Inequality said:

IU’s fan base has kept the fire lit on a damp program. Especially the older generations that remember when IU men’s basketball was dominant. History is only relevant when it’s known. If anything, the fan base has helped the program.

New recruits could care less about scorned fans of the past. I’ve not heard one instance where a recruit said ‘no way man those fans are crazy. They said mean things on twitter when their team lost and for that reason I chose the sunshine pumpers’.

I am one of the older generation who has seen the greatness of IU basketball. Part of the problem is our expectations are still the same as when we had one of the greatest coaches of all time.  College basketball world is a lot different and today's kids has way more options than the kids of the 70's and 80's did.  Recruiting was more regional back then and RMK could pretty much get the best players from Indiana, Ohio and Illinois. Today those kids will look at the whole country as possibilities over just their region.

• Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

I read the whole thing... I just think saying fans "get in the way" in recruiting is absurd... 

I know a lot will say that but it is to.e for all of us to look in the mirror. It is funny we blame the administration, but they have changed. We blame the coaches, but they have all changed over the years. We blamed the AD's but they changed many times over the years. We now blame how the conference plays which is a problem. We never take blame on ourselves when it is warranted.  Yes I say this all the time because I feel it is Part of the problem, not the only problem.

7 hours ago, Indykev said:

If you watched us last season. Nothing but pick and roll, would you believe a new offense is coming if you were a wing player and a 7 footer just signed a head of you?

This.

I think if you can get Ware you must take him, but I never got how Ledlum fit into this line up once Ware committed based on the way the coaching staff said they wanted to play. I wanted Ledlum because the staff wanted him and they know more than me. But how would Ledlum’s role not diminish with Ware in the line up? I just don’t see the positive from his point of view.

Everything I read and saw placed Ledlum between a 3 and 4, but he veered more towards a 4.  Playing with just Malik would’ve been fine, BUT then add in another 4/5ish type of player???? 

I know that Ware is a different than TJD. I know that there’s a chance Malik will improve his ball handling and shot and be able to play away from the basket. BUT with a line-up of Ware, Malik and Ledlum I’d still think we’d have the same problems as last year. This is not 1 in - 4 out line up….we were trying to talk ourselves into it, but it’s not. Ledlum looks to be a great Swiss Army knife, but he is not the athletic slasher/shot creator on the wing we’ve been asking for. 

JMHO

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know a lot will say that but it is to.e for all of us to look in the mirror. It is funny we blame the administration, but they have changed. We blame the coaches, but they have all changed over the years. We blamed the AD's but they changed many times over the years. We now blame how the conference plays which is a problem. We never take blame on ourselves when it is warranted.  Yes I say this all the time because I feel it is Part of the problem, not the only problem.

What, exactly, do we as fans have to "look in the mirror" for?

Have you ever heard Gus Johnson call Assembly Hall "the Carnegie Hall of college basketball"?

That's because of the fans...

Did you hear DJ Carstensen tell another ref during a game that Assembly Hall was "a bucket list" place?

Did you see where we were Top 15 in NIL collectives?

All the fan support in the world couldn't have made up of the intentional piss poor management of the IU athletic department over the past 23 years... Actually it's a testament to the passion and support of our fanbase... 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I know our reputation from the national media isn't always the best either. During the games they broadcast at Assembly Hall they talk about how great our fans are, which is correct. On other outlets I hear them talking about how y realistic our fan base is.

I also have hear a local radio guy who went to IU ridiculing our fans on how we react to recruiting. He even brought up how sad it was when Deron Davis had his signing day at his school. It was all his friends and teacher but he said that there was one old guy their in his IU gear. He thought how sad it is for an old guy to show up there in his candy stripes hoping a 18 year old kid chooses your school.

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

What, exactly, do we as fans have to "look in the mirror" for?

Have you ever heard Gus Johnson call Assembly Hall "the Carnegie Hall of college basketball"?

Did you hear DJ Carstensen tell another ref during a game that Assembly Hall was "a bucket list" place?

Did you see where we were Top 15 in NIL collectives?

All the fan support in the world couldn't have made up of the intentional piss poor management of the IU athletic department over the past 23 years... Actually it's a testament to the passion and support of our fanbase... 

Still only reading part of my post. I never said we are the only reason or even the main reason but we are PART of the problem.

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Sports fans are the biggest a-holes that exist. They don’t see things objectively, their expectations aren’t realistic, they say stupid crap in the heat of the moment and they place blame anywhere they can assign it.  

Every fanbase that I’m a part of has these fans. Every one. Our fanbase is just bigger, thus it’s magnified. UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, etc. all deal with this to varying degrees. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1