Transfers with IU Interest

3 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

He had 18 shot attempts and 5 turnovers. I also never understood the obsession over this kid. Don’t get me wrong, you absolutely have to take him if you have an open spot. However, he doesn’t fill a position of need, which is a outside sharpshooter at the wing who can make FTs at a much better clip than 63%

IU doesn’t have a single player who averaged double figures last year returning. He absolutely fills a position of need; scoring. Our off-guard/wings for next year are Galloway, Gunn, Banks, and Newton who was hurt most of his senior year. We have 3 open scholarships. You could have recruited Ledlum and still taken 2 sharpshooters from the portal. IU needs bucket getters in the worst way possible.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hoosier82 said:

He had 18 shot attempts and 5 turnovers. I also never understood the obsession over this kid. Don’t get me wrong, you absolutely have to take him if you have an open spot. However, he doesn’t fill a position of need, which is a outside sharpshooter at the wing who can make FTs at a much better clip than 63%

Yeah...was under 30% from the arc last season.  Obviously the staff saw something they wanted, but I'm having a hard time buying into the theory that he was their number one target in the portal.  It's quite possible we look back and IU's #1 target hasn't even hit the portal yet.  From a pure potential standpoint, surely Ware was a bigger target.  He just happened to say yes a lot sooner.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Does there have to be noise? It’s clear the staff prioritized Ledlum. He was the first portal offer. The first kid the entire staff went to see. They got him on campus for an OV. If that isn’t “noise” I’m not sure what is? 

Have you seen the staff put that type of effort and energy into any other portal target? They wanted Ledlum. Bad. I don’t know why this has to be sugar coated to anything other than what it is, a big miss.

You don't get every player you want 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

I don’t care about “portal rankings”. I’m looking at a major miss for both wing depth and scoring versatility, something of which Ledlum checks both boxes.

I really wanted him, but if the plan was to play a lot of time with him at the 3 consider me glad we missed on him. 

• Like 8

Just now, IndyResident16 said:

IU doesn’t have a single player who averaged double figures last year returning. He absolutely fills a position of need; scoring. Our off-guard/wings for next year are Galloway, Gunn, Banks, and Newton who was hurt most of his senior year. We have 3 open scholarships. You could have recruited Ledlum and still taken 2 sharpshooters from the portal. IU needs bucket getters in the worst way possible.

Yup, and we need bucket getters way more then we need sharpshooters. 

6 minutes ago, NY hoosier said:

It does feel like UT made him feel like he was the priority and went the extra mile to make it happen. We didn't, that doesn't make us lazy or laid back, just outworked!

How do you know we didn't make him a priority

We did an in home visit and he came to campus.

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I really wanted him, but if the plan was to play a lot of time with him at the 3 consider me glad we missed on him. 

He’s a tweener that would have played a ton of minutes. I have serious reservations about both Reneau and Ware playing 30 mpg next year, let alone on the court together. Would have been long stretches with Ledlum paired with Reneau/Ware.

• Like 1

IU fans and people that do IU social media have a hard time understanding why a player would ever choose another school over Indiana, especially a school with little tradition like Tennessee.  As a result, we consistently fall for stuff like 'good visit' instantly turning into he's IU bound.

The reality is we're like the kid in high school with the pretty face. He doesn't understand why the girl leaves him for the average looking guy in English class.  It often means that the 'average' guy has other stuff the girl enjoys that may not be visible on the surface.   

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, NY hoosier said:

It does feel like UT made him feel like he was the priority and went the extra mile to make it happen. We didn't, that doesn't make us lazy or laid back, just outworked!

What are you basing this on? How often did we reach out vs UT? Nobody knows.

This is all based on ONE tiny bit of information in a longer recruiting process.

There is nothing beyond random internet conjecture to make this type of conclusion.

We know UT saw him today.

But does anybody know what IU did or has done through the entire process?

It's just insulting to insinuate our staff got out worked with only having 0.0001% of the actual facts in the recruiting process.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah...was under 30% from the arc last season.  Obviously the staff saw something they wanted, but I'm having a hard time buying into the theory that he was their number one target in the portal.  It's quite possible we look back and IU's #1 target hasn't even hit the portal yet.  From a pure potential standpoint, surely Ware was a bigger target.  He just happened to say yes a lot sooner.

We don’t know if he was the #1 target, but it has been publicly reported that the IU staff was on him before he entered the portal, due to Ivy League rules. Plus, he would have only used a scholly for one year

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This too. I really wanted him as a small ball forward, not a wing. At the wing I didn't love it as much. 

Yeah, and after we got Ware (who is a better get with a higher upside) I think it is possible our staff didn’t make him feel like a high priority anymore… because he may not have been.

If the staff viewed him as a 4 and we have Ware, Sparks, and Reneau then he’s suddenly not nearly as important as he was the day the season ended. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

How could you possibly know this? We get maybe 5% of the information of what is happening behind the scenes. 

Who in the portal is scheduled to visit? We’re supposedly recruiting Cormac Ryan. Guess what, he’s in Chapel Hill today. Dalton Knecht? Just announced he’s stopping his recruitment. Think he commits without a visit?

1 minute ago, IndyResident16 said:

He’s a tweener that would have played a ton of minutes. I have serious reservations about both Reneau and Ware playing 30 mpg next year, let alone on the court together. Would have been long stretches with Ledlum paired with Reneau/Ware.

Yeah I would have hoped so, maybe Ledlum was afraid of the competition for minutes with two guys that are more talented than he is. We honestly have no clue what happened.

We have 80 minutes to give at the 4 and 5, and have 4 pretty good guys if we think Banks will play some small ball 4. It’s not exactly hard to see how that could push someone away. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IndyResident16 said:

Who in the portal is scheduled to visit? We’re supposedly recruiting Cormac Ryan. Guess what, he’s in Chapel Hill today. Dalton Knecht? Just announced he’s stopping his recruitment. Think he commits without a visit?

I don’t think we have anything close to all the information available. Absence of things being reported is a lot different than an absence of things happening. 

• Like 1