Transfers with IU Interest

Just now, 5fouls said:

All together now, let's ask Mike how he knows we didn't prioritize Ledlum, even though we know Mike has never posted a single positive thing about the Hoosiers (e.g. he's not an IU fan).  

Beg to differ on that.Have former Indiana All-American I know well give me tickets to games.

3 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Who in the portal is scheduled to visit? We’re supposedly recruiting Cormac Ryan. Guess what, he’s in Chapel Hill today. Dalton Knecht? Just announced he’s stopping his recruitment. Think he commits without a visit?

So there are only two players left in the portal?

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah I would have hoped so, maybe Ledlum was afraid of the competition for minutes with two guys that are more talented than he is. We honestly have no clue what happened.

We have 80 minutes to give at the 4 and 5, and have 4 pretty good guys if we think Banks will play some small ball 4. It’s not exactly hard to see how that could push someone away. 

Agree. My bigger concern is why we haven't been able to get any true scoring wings or guards to visit? Seems like the staff tried with Timberlake, Knecht, Ellis and maybe a few more and haven't gotten any to even visit. 

• Like 4

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Yeah I would have hoped so, maybe Ledlum was afraid of the competition for minutes with two guys that are more talented than he is. We honestly have no clue what happened.

We have 80 minutes to give at the 4 and 5, and have 4 pretty good guys if we think Banks will play some small ball 4. It’s not exactly hard to see how that could push someone away. 

We need to get past the idea of position labels. Ledlum has the versatility to play inside out. Ledlum is more proven than any single player on IU’s roster next year, hell he just committed to a team with a better roster than IU. He’s not afraid of competition, clearly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Who in the portal is scheduled to visit? We’re supposedly recruiting Cormac Ryan. Guess what, he’s in Chapel Hill today. Dalton Knecht? Just announced he’s stopping his recruitment. Think he commits without a visit?

When all else fails, look winners.  Look for players from elite programs.  Look out West.

image.thumb.png.a97ffee813059f13f12fec9d26eaa310.png

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

So there are only two players left in the portal?

Who in the portal has IU targeted or made head way with in the way the staff had with Ledlum? For a program that supposedly is a big player in the NIL market and has a staff with a ton of NBA connections, kids aren’t lining up to play for IU like you think they would.

Just now, IndyResident16 said:

We need to get past the idea of position labels. Ledlum has the versatility to play inside out. Ledlum is more proven than any single player on IU’s roster next year, hell he just committed to a team with a better roster than IU. He’s not afraid of competition, clearly.

I don’t really need a lecture on getting past position labels, I have a firm grasp on modern basketball and what works and doesn’t. Labels are nothing more than calling things out for a conversation.

I disagree with your take on Ledlum’s game. He’s not a guy that will excel if he is primarily on the perimeter against quicker players - his success off of the bounce is largely because of his ability to take guys less quick than him off the dribble. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. My bigger concern is why we haven't been able to get any true scoring wings or guards to visit? Seems like the staff tried with Timberlake, Knecht, Ellis and maybe a few more and haven't gotten any to even visit. 

And that’s definitely a fair concern. You’d think seeing JHS propel into a potential lottery pick would be appealing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Beg to differ on that.Have former Indiana All-American I know well give me tickets to games.

Having former Indiana All-American giving you tickets is not the same thing as being/saying you are an IU fan.  If Kyle Macy gives me tickets to a UK v Tennessee game, I would probably go.  I wouldn't root for UK though.  

Just now, IndyResident16 said:

Who in the portal has IU targeted or made head way with in the way the staff had with Ledlum? For a program that supposedly is a big player in the NIL market and has a staff with a ton of NBA connections, kids aren’t lining up to play for IU like you think they would.

How the hell do we know who they are targeting because they haven't called me to let me know.  It is obvious that a lot of the things posted is always accurate. I went back and bumped two post from 4/9 that had tweets from a college basketball web site that stated Ledlum and Deloach  were both going to commit to IU in a couple of days. Shouldn't you know by now that everything you read is not always true.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I don’t really need a lecture on getting past position labels, I have a firm grasp on modern basketball and what works and doesn’t. Labels are nothing more than calling things out for a conversation.

I disagree with your take on Ledlum’s game. He’s not a guy that will excel if he is primarily on the perimeter against quicker players - his success off of the bounce is largely because of his ability to take guys less quick than him off the dribble. 

He’s a bully ball wing. Think Dylan Harper. His success off the bounce is attributed to his size and strength. 

How the hell do we know who they are targeting because they haven't called me to let me know.  It is obvious that a lot of the things posted is always accurate. I went back and bumped two post from 4/9 that had tweets from a college basketball web site that stated Ledlum and Deloach  were both going to commit to IU in a couple of days. Shouldn't you know by now that everything you read is not always true.

I’m straight asking, who is currently schedule to take a visit? Was it a secret when Sparks, Ware, and Ledlum showed up over night? 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Heard from who? I'm not trying to be difficult or a jerk, I just don't buy all of this noise. 

The kid committed like an hour ago, and all of the sudden people on Twitter and message boards know what the staff thinks?

Just some people I’ve connected with on the internet who has been spot on for awhile and I trust. They truly believed he was committing. Not sure if true or not 

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Having former Indiana All-American giving you tickets is not the same thing as being/saying you are an IU fan.  If Kyle Macy gives me tickets to a UK v Tennessee game, I would probably go.  I wouldn't root for UK though.  

Been to indiana games since 1974 can have a different opinion on the team.Results last 35 years haven't been up to standard.You can call it negative i call it facts.We just disagree on where the program is.That is fine.

Edited by Mike
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Just some people I’ve connected with on the internet who has been spot on for awhile and I trust. They truly believed he was committing. Not sure if true or not 

Gotcha and thanks for the reply. I don't mean this disrespectfully at all, but I don't think people on the internet know anything. 

That's been my point all along. I love what the "insiders" bring to these message boards and the Twitter people that claim to know things, etc.  I like following them and love what they bring. 

I believe the majority have contacts and are passing along what they hear. Absolutely. But, having been on the inside I truly believe those contacts don't really know anything. The people that really know things aren't running to tell random people that have somewhat of a connection. 

Again, saying this as having been on the inside of these things. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

IU doesn’t have a single player who averaged double figures last year returning. He absolutely fills a position of need; scoring. Our off-guard/wings for next year are Galloway, Gunn, Banks, and Newton who was hurt most of his senior year. We have 3 open scholarships. You could have recruited Ledlum and still taken 2 sharpshooters from the portal. IU needs bucket getters in the worst way possible.

College basketball rosters are a puzzle and the pieces have to fit Woody’s system. Like I said, you absolutely take Ledlum but the priority is to find a sharpshooter who can be a starter in his system, pulling defenses out of the paint. XJ and Galloway are primed to be the slashers to the rim, Ware and Malik will handle the paint. Hopefully Cupps, Gunn, Banks and Sparks can contribute off the bench…The only missing piece is the outside threat who can play the 3. 

• Like 1

Last time I checked there are still two weeks for guys to enter the portal. It amazes me how upset some people get over one player not choosing their favorite team.

If you’re fine shrugging off an obvious swing and miss by the staff, then more power to you. But don’t tell me how to act. This was clearly a player that the staff wanted and one that could significantly help next years team. 

• Like 3