Transfers with IU Interest

Just now, 5fouls said:

Galloway committed in July before his Senior year.  I would not consider that to be 'late' by any means.

Leal as well.  Anyone that commits before their Senior season in high school kicks off is not late.

TJD committed in late November, so right on that borderline of the start of the high school season.  

Zeller was an edge if the seat commitment, so I'll accept that.

I need to look up the timing for guys like Bryant and Johnson, though I do recall Bryant having a Final 2 out there for a while.

Blackmon is a case study all his own and should not be used for validation one way or the other.

What I took your question was how long after the first contact with a player did that kid commit, not when they committed 

Just now, 5fouls said:

Galloway committed in July before his Senior year.  I would not consider that to be 'late' by any means.

Leal as well.  Anyone that commits before their Senior season in high school kicks off is not late.

TJD committed in late November, so right on that borderline of the start of the high school season.  

I need to look up the timing for guys like Bryant and Johnson, though I do recall Bryant having a Final 2 out there for a while.

Blackmon is a case study all his own and should not be used for validation one way or the other.

Blackmon absolutely fits, TJD the same. Those two recruitments were "no one knows at all" until the very end. 

Everyone that thinks that Romeo didn't do much for us... Romeo was a HUGE reason we got TJD. Even when TJD knew Romeo was likely going pro. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Shouldn't have to do that. If you can't sell IU to basketball recruits you might need to find another job. 

??? I guess we haven't played with any players the past XX years ???

Yes, we've missed on a few in this cycle. MILK HAS BEEN SPILLED. But FFS, how long must this crying endure? 

IU will land quality recruits again.

• Like 5

Just now, btownqb said:

Scoffing at adding Kel'el Ware while acting like Woodson and staff had some HUGE 2023 fudge up is pretty amusing to read. 

Kel'el Ware hasn't proved a damn thing at this level. Ton of upside but recruiting rankings mean jack at this stage of the game. There's a reason why he was in the portal in the first place. 

Staff didn't add a single incoming freshman who can be counted on to significantly contribute next year on the heels of losing 4 starters. It's not amusing by any means. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I bet Justin Smith was a long recruitment

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Kel'el Ware hasn't proved a damn thing at this level. Ton of upside but recruiting rankings mean jack at this stage of the game. There's a reason why he was in the portal in the first place. 

Staff didn't add a single incoming freshman who can be counted on to significantly contribute next year on the heels of losing 4 starters. It's not amusing by any means. 

You seriously don’t think Cupps can contribute? That dude is gonna play 25 minutes a games he’s the real deal 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Shouldn't have to do that. If you can't sell IU to basketball recruits you might need to find another job." - @IndyResident16

How can you argue BOTH of these things? You're all over the map. The staff either sold IU to Ware (a basketball recruit) or they didn't. (Hint: they did) Now you're trying to downplay who they DID sign.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

debbie downer Memes & GIFs - Imgflip

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Scoffing at adding Kel'el Ware while acting like Woodson and staff had some HUGE 2023 fudge up is pretty amusing to read. 

IU does well with recruitments where they have some kind of prior relationship. They seem to struggle with building relationships from scratch on the recruiting trail for various reasons and then winning those recruitments. This is where other schools seem to find a way to beat IU on the recruiting trail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

"Shouldn't have to do that. If you can't sell IU to basketball recruits you might need to find another job." - @IndyResident16

How can you argue BOTH of these things? You're all over the map. The staff either sold IU to Ware (a basketball recruit) or they didn't. (Hint: they did) Now you're trying to downplay who they DID sign.

Cupps can contribute but he won’t make that big of an impact. As for Ware IU got Ware because of prior connections he had to people that new Coach Ya. 

1 minute ago, MoyeCowbell said:

IU needed more than one piece in the portal dude. We had 5 open scholarships and 3, maybe 4 starting spots up for grabs. We landed a kid with high upside with motor issues to fill one spot. Where's the perimeter scoring? Perimeter defense? Athleticism? Shooting? Scoring? Where they at?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

IU does well with recruitments where they have some kind of prior relationship. They seem to struggle with building relationships from scratch on the recruiting trail for various reasons and then winning those recruitments. This is where other schools seem to find a way to beat IU on the recruiting trail.

Every relationship starts from scratch.

What was the prior relationship with Ware? (Honest question, as I do not know how involved we were when he was in HS)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

IU usually lands recruits early in the process.  The longer it goes with someone we target, the less likely it seems that we land them.  Romeo was an exception, but i firmly believe the issues at UL made that possible.

Be interested in hearing opinions or theories on why it is that we lose out more often than not when there is a long courtship.

Or, is my observation off base?

If that is a reality, I bet it has little to do with coaches etc. My theory probably wouldn’t align with those that think it is the staff’s fault but you feel this has stretched beyond current staff correct? So it has to be something else. 

If you want something more concrete as to why that initial high didn’t last. I would bet it is facilities and overall “feel” 

The IU facilities don’t hold a candle to SEC schools. Now, you visit IU as a recruit first and you would feel as though it is great. I have been on those tours with a recruit. It is impressive, until you go to other schools and see it is not nearly as good.  That stuff matters a lot to kids. The dorms matter, the food they get etc. 

• Like 2

second paragraph kinda contradicts the first. And you can make an argument that Ledlum hasnt "proved a damn thing at this level" either.

Ware as a freshman in the Pac vs Ledlum as a Jr. in the Ivy is a tad bit different. 

• Like 2

Just now, IndyResident16 said:

IU needed more than one piece in the portal dude. We had 5 open scholarships and 3, maybe 4 starting spots up for grabs. We landed a kid with high upside with motor issues to fill one spot. Where's the perimeter scoring? Perimeter defense? Athleticism? Shooting? Scoring? Where they at?

Has the season started yet? Is the recruiting portal/window finished?

Step back from the ledge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Every relationship starts from scratch.

What was the prior relationship with Ware? (Honest question, as I do not know how involved we were when he was in HS)

People in Ware’s corner had connections to Ya. In recruiting those types of connections have been what’s carried recruiting under Woodson. IU hasn’t done well in recruitments they don’t have those connections which is what I meant by starting from scratch.

6 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

People in Ware’s corner had connections to Ya. In recruiting those types of connections have been what’s carried recruiting under Woodson. IU hasn’t done well in recruitments they don’t have those connections which is what I meant by starting from scratch.

do you think that partially has to do with Woodson being in the college for only 2 years, while these other coaches have been recruiting kids for 3,4, plus years. Got a late start in, i would imagine, most cases. After another 1 or two years, does this change with all coaches starting from scratch at the same time?

Edited by ledies22
  • Like 2