Transfers with IU Interest

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

Per 48 minutes, Ware had over 12 boards and just under 4 blocks. Both of those numbers are higher than TJD's junior year per 48's. I think people are underestimating how high this kid's floor is.

I'm sure not all will agree, but I'd take X over last year's JHS. For me it's not that close.

I'd take a sophomore Malik over Race.

I'd take this years Galloway over last year's.

As long as someone, maybe even Banks, can outperform Kopp, we should be better at 4 of the 5 starting spots. And still very good at that 5th spot. I'll take it.

I agree with that. I guess if you’re getting the ‘Purdue JHS’ then you’d obviously take JHS. BUT if you’re comparing the two, XJ has a higher floor, is more consistent and is a better defender. 

No reason to not think that as the leader on next year’s team XJ will be in the running for first or second team all B1G. 

But I still can’t help but think ‘what would’ve been’ with those 2 playing together. Forget about offensive output, XJ’s defense alone would’ve changed a lot. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I agree with that. I guess if you’re getting the ‘Purdue JHS’ then you’d obviously take JHS. BUT if you’re comparing the two, XJ has a higher floor, is more consistent and is a better defender. 

No reason to not think that as the leader on next year’s team XJ will begin the running for first or second team all B1G. 

But I still can’t help but think ‘what would’ve been’ with those 2 playing together. Forget about offensive output, XJ’s defense alone would’ve changed a lot. 

Sure, if he had his best game every single night, that's hard to pass up. But, looking at X's games vs Xavier and UNC - I might still take that X over JHS. Those were some efficient games. With very good D.

• Like 1

The thing that next years team will miss the very most about JHS as of right now, is having a guy you can just throw the ball to and say "go get a good shot you can hit".

I agree that X is a better defender, distributor, and possibly an equally efficient scorer, but he isn't really a guy you want to go ISO to get a shot late in the shot clock or game clock. Next years team needs a guy like that badly IMO.

That said, I agree with the general point that next years team on paper isn't bad as of right now. And we still are likely to add a couple guys who can contribute. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

The thing that next years team will miss the very most about JHS as of right now, is having a guy you can just throw the ball to and say "go get a good shot you can hit".

I agree that X is a better defender, distributor, and possibly an equally efficient scorer, but he isn't really a guy you want to go ISO to get a shot late in the shot clock or game clock. Next years team needs a guy like that badly IMO.

That said, I agree with the general point that next years team on paper isn't bad as of right now. And we still are likely to add a couple guys who can contribute. 

Agree..

And I truly don't know that guy is in the portal... 

Ware/Malik+XJ in the PnR, imo, will be one of our best ways to supplement that missing offense. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

In support of your statement last season Indiana finished 35 in the Torvik rankings. Currently for 2023-24 Indiana is projected at 31st. https://barttorvik.com/trankpre.php

Not saying we want to finish ranked 31st but there is data to back up your statement that the current team is not as bad as people are making it out to be. 

In reality with the current team being Ware, Malik, Galloway and XJ one wing who can contribute  catapults this team into the top 25 Torvik projections.

Lastly from what I understand Woodson is not a "guarantee" style recruiter. He tells players they have to earn their minutes. Part of me thinks that Gunn is developing well and maybe a transfer wouldn't want to share minutes with Gunn. Jerry Meyer predicted Gunn would be an eventual P5 starter in 2021.  

If we have a player like Tre White complement Gunn we might be in great shape.

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

In support of you statement last season Indiana finished 35 in the Torvik rankings. Currently for 2023-24 Indiana is projected at 31st. https://barttorvik.com/trankpre.php

Not saying we want to finish ranked 31st but there is data to back up your statement that the current team is not as bad as people are making it out to be. 

In reality with the current team being Ware, Malik, Galloway and XJ one wing who can contribute  catapults this team into the top 25 Torvik projections.

Lastly from what I understand Woodson is not a "guarantee" style recruiter. He tells players they have to earn their minutes. Part of me thinks that Gunn is developing well and maybe a transfer wouldn't want to share minutes with Gunn. Jerry Meyer predicted Gunn would be an eventual P5 starter in 2021.  

6-6/6-7 combo guard. Former 4 star recruit and was one of PAC's best freshman. Checks plenty of boxes. Probably a ton of competition but we can basically show him how we used JHS and go from there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Found this in an article about why Cleveland entered the portal.

“Guys like Cleveland are often lured into the portal by promises or interest given from coaches at other schools, with potential of how much NIL money may be involved. How it works isn’t technically illegal, but a coach can always be recruiting other players and talk to a Grassroots coach or even a close relative and basically say “if Player A would get into the transfer portal we would take him and if he came here our collective might be able to pay around X.”

I guarantee that’s how Sampson got Cryer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SawatchHoosier said:

In support of your statement last season Indiana finished 35 in the Torvik rankings. Currently for 2023-24 Indiana is projected at 31st. https://barttorvik.com/trankpre.php

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

There is clearly more demand than supply for a guard who averaged 9&5 last year. Sellers market. 

Which is why I think more will get “talked into” the portal. You have to know that as a player. If you don’t 100% love where you are, easy to make a move and make bank.

8 hours ago, Indykev said:

I talked to 2 players last night, who in the past gave me great INSIDE info. They have no clue who we are going after.

This has been theorized among a few “insiders” that Woody was not happy with how the Ware visit went and all the drama that night on Twitter. Someone said his family didn’t like that much. This then had X go to Twitter and tell people to back off. 

Could be that it is quiet because staff has been told to stop talking. Rabby even made a comment on a a podcast about Ledlum that made it seem like he was struggling to get info. 

Lastly, you sure don’t talk about players you are trying to convince into the portal.

just some thoughts. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Initial79 said:

This has been theorized among a few “insiders” that Woody was not happy with how the Ware visit went and all the drama that night on Twitter. Someone said his family didn’t like that much. This then had X go to Twitter and tell people to back off. 

Could be that it is quiet because staff has been told to stop talking. Rabby even made a comment on a a podcast about Ledlum that made it seem like he was struggling to get info. 

Lastly, you sure don’t talk about players you are trying to convince into the portal.

just some thoughts. 

Radio silence is probably for the best.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Radio silence is probably for the best.

.....staff being told to stop talking by Coach Woodson is the best thing, period. It just leads to information being twisted, stretched whether it's good or bad. 

From the words of the great Led Zepplin song "Communication Breakdown".....

Communication breakdown, it's always the same
Havin' a nervous breakdown, a-drive me insane, yeah......😵

• Like 1