Transfers with IU Interest

12 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Excuse me sir but I didnโ€™t comb through his social mediaโ€ฆI had my kids do it. Itโ€™s important that our children take part in the transfer portal.ย 

Even worse, you are pushing our disease onto the next generation ๐Ÿ˜‰ (I say our because my involvement in this thread means I am way too invested as well).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

but is the ink ever dry with the transfer portal?ย  One might ask for a release if its too cloudy or rainy and not enough sun shine at the rate were going

Ledlum was 100% IUs. Rabby and others were making comments like โ€œas of now, Tenn is still on. There was general consensus he was 100%. That is why he followed everyone. Then Tenn. stole him. No different than even if Woody himself said โ€œthis guy is oursโ€ - nothing is 100% until they sign. Same with social media.ย 

But when you say it doesnโ€™t matter, that is a step too far. I can promise you, zero recruits commit or will come on a visit until you see they followed current players or staff. Doesnโ€™t have to be all but with nothing, zero interest, not happening. Works other way too.ย 

On the J Newton - could just be a prior relationship form aau there. There would be more follows than him.ย 

There are some players to discuss but not going to throw them out there just to have people re-debate social media. Can already tell that is coming with the comments by a few.ย 

I will say to those that quickly liked โ€œI wonโ€™t be doing this, I will reassess life.โ€ - you are on a message board for a long time every day about this very thing. ย You get the shakes if certian people havenโ€™t given you inside info in awhile (that stuff is gold and always accurate)

I think some of you just have a hard time admitting it is the exact same thing. FYI.. takes less than 1 Minute to figure out if they follow players or staff. Takes less than 5 seconds to see staff and players following them. Less than it took me type this post.

Everything doenst have to be a debate and argument. Just move on without all the one liners. This is what people are avoiding when they donโ€™t post.ย 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Initial79 said:

Ledlum was 100% IUs. Rabby and others were making comments like โ€œas of now, Tenn is still on. There was general consensus he was 100%. That is why he followed everyone. Then Tenn. stole him. No different than even if Woody himself said โ€œthis guy is oursโ€ - nothing is 100% until they sign. Same with social media.ย 

But when you say it doesnโ€™t matter, that is a step too far. I can promise you, zero recruits commit or will come on a visit until you see they followed current players or staff. Doesnโ€™t have to be all but with nothing, zero interest, not happening. Works other way too.ย 

On the J Newton - could just be a prior relationship form aau there. There would be more follows than him.ย 

There are some players to discuss but not going to throw them out there just to have people re-debate social media. Can already tell that is coming with the comments by a few.ย 

I will say to those that quickly liked โ€œI wonโ€™t be doing this, I will reassess life.โ€ - you are on a message board for a long time every day about this very thing. ย You get the shakes if certian people havenโ€™t given you inside info in awhile (that stuff is gold and always accurate)

I think some of you just have a hard time admitting it is the exact same thing. FYI.. takes less than 1 Minute to figure out if they follow players or staff. Takes less than 5 seconds to see staff and players following them. Less than it took me type this post.

Everything doenst have to be a debate and argument. Just move on without all the one liners. This is what people are avoiding when they donโ€™t post.ย 

Speaking for myself, I don't get the shakes for insider info.ย  I think it is entertainment only and the info we have gotten from "insiders" since Woodson got here has been mostly suspect.ย  I think the person (people) that leak that info have a too rose view of where Indiana realistically sits and then when the "it's a lock" stuff falls through, it drives really negative reactions in some of the fan base.

People need to start viewing the info as, "Initial79 says player X has liked, friended, followed several Indiana related individuals which would indicate a mutual interest" and when another poster comes and says that the staff feels confident about this player or that player is a lock, people need to realize that means the staff is feeling confident in how they sit for a player.

Unless you are close to the actual player and getting info directly from the family, none of these people are true insiders until the kid has committed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Between2Halls said:

Hereโ€™s what I know. None of us know anything. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

I think that is close to accurate.ย  Even the coaching staff isn't 100% until a kid commits.ย  So any, "He's a lock" or "He is a heavy IU lean" stuff is just speculation that is probably coming with a heavy IU bias.

It is entertaining to get the info and it gives you an idea what the staff may be thinking, but again, unless your source is the player or someone really close to them, you are probably just reading tea leaves like everyone else (but you may have a little better view of some of the leaves).

Leave it at that...it would be nice to wrap up portal season so we can start arguing how big a leap Gunn and Banks are going to make this summer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I think that is close to accurate.ย  Even the coaching staff isn't 100% until a kid commits.ย  So any, "He's a lock" or "He is a heavy IU lean" stuff is just speculation that is probably coming with a heavy IU bias.

It is entertaining to get the info and it gives you an idea what the staff may be thinking, but again, unless your source is the player or someone really close to them, you are probably just reading tea leaves like everyone else (but you may have a little better view of some of the leaves).

Leave it at that...it would be nice to wrap up portal season so we can start arguing how big a leap Gunn and Banks are going to make this summer.

Even a player can change their mind after theyโ€™ve told certain people that they think they know where they want to go. Itโ€™s happened before.ย 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bottom line, the idea of a message board is fun for speculating and discussing IU hoops amongst other topics. That being said, Iโ€™m not following a bunch of young men and dissecting their social media accounts to gather information, or make an attempt to decipher where they may or may not be playing college basketball. I take any information from those willing to do so with a grain of salt. ๐Ÿปย 

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

Even a player can change their mind after theyโ€™ve told certain people that they think they know where they want to go. Itโ€™s happened before.ย 

Absolutely, which is why I don't criticize people who bring what they think is good info to a board like this.ย  I sometimes question the people feeding them the info, but not those sharing it.

That being said, you need to take all the info with a heavy dose of the Morton girl's product.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Danomatic said:

Waitโ€ฆ didnโ€™t Ledlum follow the team, players and Martha? If so, I donโ€™t think it matters as much, until the ink is dry.ย 

That is why you need to wait until all the visits are over before checking on who follows who. A player will start following people after every visit so I don't see how that tells you anything.

1 hour ago, Initial79 said:

Just to be really clear, social media doesn't mean anything. It may be a lag indicator of how we fare with a recruit at a given time, but it absolutely has nothing to do with if we get a recruit or not.

Doesn't mean it isn't interesting to see who is following our guys and who our guys are following.ย 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I think the person (people) that leak that info have a too rose view of where Indiana realistically sits and then when the "it's a lock" stuff falls through, it drives really negative reactions in some of the fan base.

I think it's also too rosie of a view of how connected they are.ย 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Initial79 said:

My comment wasn't directed towards social media.ย  It was more directed towards the fact that after more than one year of the transfer portal and every year the entries has increased there will be more and more commitments early on just to decommit and move someone else OR go somewhere for a year then transfer due to money.ย ย 

ย 

Why attack whilte assuming my comment was directed towards something related to social media?ย  Kids change their minds.ย  Yes we were the favorites and UT came in and Ledlum turned to them, it happens.ย  Happens to every team.ย ย 

Edited by dwtaylor1055
  • Like 1

I'm not on social media so I appreciate the info that comes from those who are. I don't expect it to be 100% accurate so I don't lose any sleep if something works against us. Nice to have a heads up something may be happening. Panned out for Ware, others maybe not so much

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Here is where I think we, as fans, as well as anyone who is considered an insider, need to be better.ย  He wasn't 100% or he never would have even went to Tennessee for the visit.

Yes, we may have been the leader, but Ledlum himself knew he wanted to make that visit to Tennessee before he committed.ย  He doesnt do that if he's sure IU is the place for him.ย  Maybe 'a place', but not 'the place'.ย ย 

I've lived long enough to understand that not everyone sees things the way I do.ย  But, I firmly believe as a fan base, we would be better served letting things play out before we get too high or too low.

I remember in the summer of '86 being disappointed that IU reached out to the JUCO ranks to grab Dean Garrett and Keith Smart.

That was before Al Gore invented the internet, and obviously before social media as we know it.ย 

I was convinced we were doomed having to rely on players not good enough to play D1 directly out of high school.

To me, the name 'Dean Garrett' projected to be a big, slow, clumsy, preppy, white guy. There was no internet, no blogs to follow, etc.ย  I had know idea how wrong I was until the first game of the season.

I was at that first game and ironically it was against your Montana St team

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Just to be really clear, social media doesn't mean anything. It may be a lag indicator of how we fare with a recruit at a given time, but it absolutely has nothing to do with if we get a recruit or not.

Doesn't mean it isn't interesting to see who is following our guys and who our guys are following.ย 

See, now this goes back to your argument on the facilities. You said I was taking too hard of a stance. Now you say โ€œhas nothing to do with we get a recruit or notโ€ย 

again, this all changed during covid when coaches could not travel and has stayed. Also, with more and more recruiting rules changing, social media is the number one way coaches and recruits silently communicate. ย They donโ€™t just follow random people and they donโ€™t just add guys because they visit. They are being taught how to use this.ย 

This applies differently to different sports, for example, if I am not allowed to contact a recruit during a certain time but I can follow and like their posts. This is a silent nod that I am interested. Then recruit shows their level of interest by how deeply they engage in return. If recruit goes to a camp now days, the coaches will spend a good amount of time taking about social media during their q&a.ย 

Honestly, I donโ€™t want to debate or beat this dead horse anymore than others do. I would just like to be able to post - โ€œhey, Jacob Groves from OU might be someone fans should look at. Hulls is following him, few more staff did recently and he does kind of fit as a backup wing/3p guy.โ€ Without - โ€œyou know that doesnโ€™t mean anything, our insiders already said XYZ.โ€

Fyiโ€ฆ that wasnโ€™t a made up thing. Have also seen some activity on Mgbako- minor but is there and very recent.ย 

I also agree fully with 5fouls - this doesnโ€™t mean he is a lock, etc. but they are on the radar and probably talking. no different than Rabbyโ€™s hot boards that end up striking out.

6 minutes ago, Initial79 said:

See, now this goes back to your argument on the facilities. You said I was taking too hard of a stance. Now you say โ€œhas nothing to do with we get a recruit or notโ€ย 

again, this all changed during covid when coaches could not travel and has stayed. Also, with more and more recruiting rules changing, social media is the number one way coaches and recruits silently communicate. ย They donโ€™t just follow random people and they donโ€™t just add guys because they visit. They are being taught how to use this.ย 

This applies differently to different sports, for example, if I am not allowed to contact a recruit during a certain time but I can follow and like their posts. This is a silent nod that I am interested. Then recruit shows their level of interest by how deeply they engage in return. If recruit goes to a camp now days, the coaches will spend a good amount of time taking about social media during their q&a.ย 

Honestly, I donโ€™t want to debate or beat this dead horse anymore than others do. I would just like to be able to post - โ€œhey, Jacob Groves from OU might be someone fans should look at. Hulls is following him, few more staff did recently and he does kind of fit as a backup wing/3p guy.โ€ Without - โ€œyou know that doesnโ€™t mean anything, our insiders already said XYZ.โ€

Fyiโ€ฆ that wasnโ€™t a made up thing. Have also seen some activity on Mgbako- minor but is there and very recent.ย 

I also agree fully with 5fouls - this doesnโ€™t mean he is a lock, etc. but they are on the radar and probably talking. no different than Rabbyโ€™s hot boards that end up striking out.

Groves

ย 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Initial79 said:

And a better link to see value of players than on3 or 24/7 - in my opinion

https://theresourcenexus.com/transfer-portal-basketball/ย 
ย 

interesting to see our guys like Tamar and Geronimo (doesnโ€™t even show up)ย 

Some of their assessments:

Ware:

Talk about an embarrassment of riches. Ware was great when he was on the court this season. He looked the part of a top-ranked recruit and performed that way when he got to play. He just didnโ€™t get but 16 minutes a game withย Nโ€™Faly Danteย putting up a 29 PER. Itโ€™s understandable Altman played Dante, but if you canโ€™t find a way to get Ware on the court itโ€™s not surprising he would transfer. The former five star recruit coming out of high school is probably still the best nba draft prospect in the transfer portal.

Ledlum:

I watch some Chris Ledlum highlights, he seems to have a decent handle and able to play some on the wing. He will take some outside shots but is under 30% More of a small ball PF. Will that work as well at his next stop if itโ€™s at the highest levels is the question.

Love:

I think Love is pretty overrated in general, and even by our own model which will rank him lower than most I expect. His impact is being derived from being a high usage player. One with a very low efficiency last three years. His true shooting percentage has been well below average. (.491% this season). If Love were looking for a more appropriate role where he could be a lower usage player or 3rd scoring option then I would see it differently. I doubt that is the goal. I think heโ€™s shown he can shoot better at least on open threeโ€™s when there are better offensive options around him likeย Brady Manekย taking the pressure off. It will be interesting to see where he goes. If heโ€™s in a lead scoring focus and focus of the defense as he was on the Tar Heels I would expect similar results, which was partially why the Tar Heels underachieved and were in need of a floor spacer shooting 31% as a team.

Timberlake:

The CAA was down this year and he didnโ€™t up the efficiency. Heโ€™s a great outside shooter with size and played big on a top 75 Towson team in 2021-22, he just doesnโ€™t seem to do much else if you are looking for upside. He fits anywhere.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2