Transfers with IU Interest

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Understand what we are selling to someone like Walker. Kids barely going to play. 

Plays the backup 4 behind Malik. Could play alongside Malik at the 4 and Malik at the 5. Ball handling bigger guy that is more athletic than Race, Malik, and Sparks. From what I've read, solid defender. Better slasher and finisher than JG was and has plenty of D1 experience. Could definitely do worse in the portal.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Understand what we are selling to someone like Walker. Kids barely going to play. 

Right. He's a depth guy, which we need. If he can do the things Geronimo couldn't because of his lack of basketball awareness and IQ, that would be a good pickup of a role player. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beamerball said:

Plays the backup 4 behind Malik. Could play alongside Malik at the 4 and Malik at the 5. Ball handling bigger guy that is more athletic than Race, Malik, and Sparks. From what I've read, solid defender. Better slasher and finisher than JG was and has plenty of D1 experience. Could definitely do worse in the portal.

100%

And "hey kid, I've got a spot for you... not every game are you going to be in the rotation"... you find someone for that specific of a role with this skillset is solid. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosier987 said:

I don’t understand this. We need all the shooters we can get. Where are the shot creators? 

What don't you understand?

You're comfortable with having Ware, Sparks, Banks, and MR only to defend guys 6'7 or taller? We were always going to add another 4/5. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

What don't you understand?

You're comfortable with having Ware, Sparks, Banks, and MR only to defend guys 6'7 or taller? We were always going to add another 4/5. 

I think our front court is in solid position. That’s not to say that I’m completely against another taller post-like player but It’s the shot makers that I think we need to be making a priority…and it’s a fair question to ask. We need to focus on guard play. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

I think our front court is in solid position. That’s not to say that I’m completely against another taller post-like player but It’s the shot makers that I think we need to be making a priority…and it’s a fair question to ask. We need to focus on guard play. 

I agree about the guard and wing play.  I want shot makers and range.  But our 4/5 guys have question marks in the sense that literally none of them has proven they can play 25-30 minutes at this level.  Plus, what if any are injured for an extended period?  Don’t get me wrong,  I really like all 3.  But adding a fourth is prudent.   Now, getting a shooter and a wing who can go get buckets is critical in my mind.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

I don’t understand this. We need all the shooters we can get. Where are the shot creators? Our front court is set with Reneau/Ware and Sparks. Love that X is back…but we need more guard play/shot making ability.

Scramble mode.

We do have scholarships available and need to field a team capable of practicing against themselves. 

• Haha 2

I think it’s more about getting a solid role player that will only use one year of eligibility. We struck out on high rated players in the 2023 class. We also lost out on two potential starters that picked Tennessee over us.  With this addition we will have another opening for 2024. If we still get two shooters we will be fine.

Edited by Bowhunter
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

How do you know who the priority is? How do you know where our focus is? 

This is a great time to get him signed... other coaches on other assignments, he gets a visit with Woodson and a few others on campus. Just because you want a wing now doesn't mean we shouldn't be taking a visit from AW. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

How do you know who the priority is? How do you know where our focus is? 

This is a great time to get him signed... other coaches on other assignments, he gets a visit with Woodson and a few others on campus. Just because you want a wing now doesn't mean we shouldn't be taking a visit from AW. 

If we’re making guard play a priority, to date, do you think the staff is doing a good job of getting official visits from shooters/guards? Again, I would rather go a different route. You are ok with the move. That’s fine…but it’s OK for others to ask questions. 

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 1