Transfers with IU Interest

FKIM01

Posted 20 minutes ago

8 hours ago,  Initial79 said: 

I don’t think we were that interested. The staff keeps showing us what they want. 

it makes sense to me as he is not a top p6 guy and just a chance for him to move up. 

5 hours ago,  Indykev said: 

These so and so reached out lists idk about. We seem to be on every list. Not buying that. 2 days later with that list he is off to Miss. St.?

You guys are probably right.  I know nothing about his game.  I'd also agree that there's probably a lot of padding in the interest list.  A lot of these guys probably don't get beyond the first phone call

Everyone who was crying in their spilled milk over Ledlum and Knect, need to listen when Coach says he came to IU to win championships! I would think players that don’t meet that criteria were contacted more out of courtesy to the programs and coaches than actual intent to bring them on board. In business they call it good will. Players like Ware and MM meet the championship criteria!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Purdue7 said:

You guys are UK Duke KU level getting MM 

nobody else in the Big Ten was in on this guy between NIL & shoe companies 

you guys are the future of college basketball 

I sense a lot of sarcasm in that post. Honestly I think it came down to a couple things. NIL$, Immediate playing opportunity, opportunity to be showcased (see JHS), campus, arena, and facilities aren’t bad, good coaches, and killer unis.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I sense a lot of sarcasm in that post. Honestly I think it came down to a couple things. NIL$, Immediate playing opportunity, opportunity to be showcased (see JHS), campus, arena, and facilities aren’t bad, good coaches, and killer unis.

Plus, and I believe that I am paraphrasing a wise sage named Vince Neil",...Girls Girls Girls..."

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I didn't take it as sarcastic. I know @Purdue7likes to take shots at us for that, but I think he also knows that we are going to be hard to beat with the way college basketball is shaking up. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Who would you target? Names specifically lol

Just because I don’t have a set list, because I can’t know who might have entered portal Thursday and has not been released, I can still see what they want and don’t want. They want a stud or they will just roll with it.  This is fairly obvious when you see these “shooter” types that the fans want and they barely touch them 

I still think they are trying for Rayj and Devo for sure if he out name in portal (which he should have because Arkansas totally over loaded his position) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I didn't take it as sarcastic. I know @Purdue7likes to take shots at us for that, but I think he also knows that we are going to be hard to beat with the way college basketball is shaking up. 

Maybe I just remembered after the Purdue win that JHS went off for 30 he posted about best team money can buy…or something like that. I just don’t think it’s a $$ thing but a lot of factors.

44 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Maybe I just remembered after the Purdue win that JHS went off for 30 he posted about best team money can buy…or something like that. I just don’t think it’s a $$ thing but a lot of factors.

Yeah that was a dumb comment and not the only one he has made, but I don’t think he’s being sarcastic as much as a butt hurt little baby that Purdue won’t compete in this landscape. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Initial79 said:

Just because I don’t have a set list, because I can’t know who might have entered portal Thursday and has not been released, I can still see what they want and don’t want. They want a stud or they will just roll with it.  This is fairly obvious when you see these “shooter” types that the fans want and they barely touch them 

I still think they are trying for Rayj and Devo for sure if he out name in portal (which he should have because Arkansas totally over loaded his position) 

Devo just doesn’t move the needle for me at all. He’s just not impressive to me.

Setting aside random speculation for a moment, does anyone know if the coaches are actively recruiting someone that is in the portal for that last open scholarship?  I'm not talking about someone that we reached out to immediately after he entered the portal and have not really engaged with since.  Doesn't have to be Mgbako level attention, but strong enough that IU is a real possibility.  I don't get the feeling Rayj Dennis is that guy, so let's leave him out of the discussion unless you really know something different.  

I'm actually content/happy with what we have now.  Unlike some others, I think we can win big with Galloway in the starting lineup if all the other pieces of the puzzle live up to potential. If we're struggling and Galloway is the same Galloway we had last season, but the new pieces aren't producing as expected, I hope we don't see crap like "Oh, if we had Steph Curry at the 2 instead of Galloway, we would be so good!".  That's not at all fair to Trey. 

And, let's keep in mind that this staff recruited Newton for a reason.  Gunn is still here for a reason.  This staff believes in those guys, and even if only one of them steps up and averages 5-6 points off the bench, with 7-8 from Trey, you're averaging 12-14 for the position.  I think we would take that kind of production from a 35-minute guy.  Why not be happy with it from two guys that combine for 35 minutes?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Setting aside random speculation for a moment, does anyone know if the coaches are actively recruiting someone that is in the portal for that last open scholarship?  I'm not talking about someone that we reached out to immediately after he entered the portal and have not really engaged with since.  Doesn't have to be Mgbako level attention, but strong enough that IU is a real possibility.  I don't get the feeling Rayj Dennis is that guy, so let's leave him out of the discussion unless you really know something different.  

I'm actually content/happy with what we have now.  Unlike some others, I think we can win big with Galloway in the starting lineup if all the other pieces of the puzzle live up to potential. If we're struggling and Galloway is the same Galloway we had last season, but the new pieces aren't producing as expected, I hope we don't see crap like "Oh, if we had Steph Curry at the 2 instead of Galloway, we would be so good!".  That's not at all fair to Trey. 

And, let's keep in mind that this staff recruited Newton for a reason.  Gunn is still here for a reason.  This staff believes in those guys, and even if only one of them steps up and averages 5-6 points off the bench, with 7-8 from Trey, you're averaging 12-14 for the position.  I think we would take that kind of production from a 35-minute guy.  Why not be happy with it from two guys that combine for 35 minutes?

I don’t know the answer to your questions, but even if Trey gets recruited over I still think he’s going to get a lot of minutes. 

I think that if a high percentage/high volume shooter does become available then the staff needs to go after him. If we don’t get whomever that may be then it’s not the end of the world, but IF there’s a hole on this team it’s still a fearless sharp-shooter with a quick release that can catch and release off screens….IMO. 

I know some may want to put Gunn and Galloway in this role, but I’m not convinced Galloway fills that need (no knock on Trey, but that’s not who he is) and Gunn has not proved that he can be this guy…..yet. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I think that if a high percentage/high volume shooter does become available then the staff needs to go after him. If we don’t get whomever that may be then it’s not the end of the world, but IF there’s a hole on this team it’s still a fearless sharp-shooter with a quick release that can catch and release off screens….IMO. 

Here's a list of the shooting guards left in the portal... Not much to choose from...

May 31st we'll see who's available from kids dropping out of the draft, and I've said, if there's a home run in that group that wants to come to IU, that's a no brainier...

But I'm not sure there will be a lot of what you describe coming back to school... And I'm sure the competition for them will be fierce... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Here's a list of the shooting guards left in the portal... Not much to choose from...

May 31st we'll see who's available from kids dropping out of the draft, and I've said, if there's a home run in that group that wants to come to IU, that's a no brainier...

But I'm not sure there will be a lot of what you describe coming back to school... And I'm sure the competition for them will be fierce... 

I’m not saying this has to be a superstar…although it’d be nice if there was. I see ‘we need a Nick Zeisloft’ a lot on here. But Zeisloft wouldn’t be a ‘top guy’ in today’s portal. 

I just want somebody who’s going to burn a defender who chooses to go under a screen set on the perimeter. Even with Gallo’s increased shooting percentage, defenders are still going to under screen to prevent the drive. And while Gunn could get off a clean shot in this scenario, he needs to prove that he can make it. 

We can survive with the line up as is, but I really think it raises our ceiling if the staff can find that missing link. (Whether they’re ‘starter caliber’ or not). There’s gotta be a guy out there who can at least do that. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I’m not saying this has to be a superstar…although it’d be nice if there was. I see ‘we need a Nick Zeisloft’ a lot on here. But Zeisloft wouldn’t be a ‘top guy’ in today’s portal. 

I just want somebody who’s going to burn a defender who chooses to go under a screen set on the perimeter. Even with Gallo’s increased shooting percentage, defenders are still going to under screen to prevent the drive. And while Gunn could get off a clean shot in this scenario, he needs to prove that he can make it. 

We can survive with the line up as is, but I really think it raises our ceiling if the staff can find that missing link. (Whether they’re ‘starter caliber’ or not). There’s gotta be a guy out there who can at least do that. 

Understand what you're saying, and sure, if we can get a 40+ % 3 point shooter in that scenario, it'd probably be worth it...

I'm not sure how the staff is playing this. Been awful quiet on the transfer front on anybody but Mgbako... 

10 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

No I’d rather get different 24 and 25 guys because I think they’ll be better. 

Well he would at worst free up a scholarship for the '25 guys, if not the '24 guys depending on if he even wants to play a fifth year. Devo (and other vet guards) aren't taking scholarships from high schoolers IMO.

10 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Devo Davis didn’t enter the portal by the deadline 

Probably a decent chance he could be a grad transfer which makes the portal a moot point. This is all speculation about him anyway, but a veteran guard like him would be a huge get for this team. 

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Understand what you're saying, and sure, if we can get a 40+ % 3 point shooter in that scenario, it'd probably be worth it...

I'm not sure how the staff is playing this. Been awful quiet on the transfer front on anybody but Mgbako... 

It was awful quiet until it wasn't with Mgbako, too. People were melting down when we missed Ledlum and Knecht because they thought we missed on every "big" target, and then some viewed Anthony Walker as just filling out the roster.

I personally would love an Anthony Walker equivalent at the guard spot.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It was awful quiet until it wasn't with Mgbako, too. People were melting down when we missed Ledlum and Knecht because they thought we missed on every "big" target, and then some viewed Anthony Walker as just filling out the roster.

I personally would love an Anthony Walker equivalent at the guard spot.

THIS! 

The average of Verdell Jones and Harrison Niego. Just anything else to offer some depth if god forbid XJ/TG go down... 

I'm still in the "Cupps plays 12 (ish) mins a night and XJ plays some 2 guard" camp, but would love some depth. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

THIS! 

The average of Verdell Jones and Harrison Niego. Just anything else to offer some depth if god forbid XJ/TG go down... 

I'm still in the "Cupps plays 12 (ish) mins a night and XJ plays some 2 guard" camp, but would love some depth. 

I agree, very excited about Cupps but I also don't want our only experienced options at guard to be two guys that have missed chunks of time throughout their career.