The now relevant starting lineups thread 23-24!

It’s already started in the recruiting page so let’s make it somewhat official! Coming with the normal disclaimer that this is fluid as we don’t know who half the team is yet! 
Starting with the @IndyHoosier22 prediction 

X/Knecht/Ledlum/Reneau/Ware would be my guess? Galloway, Sparks, Gunn, Banks, Cupps off the bench

Thanks for participating!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Possible starting lineup combinations per number of scholarships filled vs 5 man lineup. 

13 scholarships 1287 combinations

12 scholarships 792 combinations 

11 scholarships 462 combinations 

Practically lower since I doubt anyone puts XJ at the 3,4, or 5, but nominally there you go. 

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

XJ 

Transfer 

Transfer 

Reneau 

Ware

It will be interesting to see how Woody runs the team next year. Obviously we’ll have a better idea of the makeup of the team in a few weeks but I think we’ll have a lot of options given the interchangeability of a lot of players on the team. Players aren’t locked into 1 position.

All for adding someone who can shoot it from three and/or the ability to get their own shot type scorer. Any additional size added now is gravy.

Lets not overlook what they already have in development. If Banks, Gunn or Trey up their games they can be what IU needs. Leal could even break through. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

All for adding someone who can shoot it from three and/or the ability to get their own shot type scorer. Any additional size added now is gravy.

Lets not overlook what they already have in development. If Banks, Gunn or Trey up their games they can be what IU needs. Leal could even break through. 

What more does Galloway need to do? 

46 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Not a fan of the first lineup listed at all. 

XJ 

TG

Transfer 

Ledlum 

Ware

I'm leaning this way too. I'm not convinced both Ware and Reneau start. 

Woodson has said he wants to get back to how he normally plays (1 in/4 out) and both Reneau and Ware played about 15ppg last season. I have a hard time seeing Woodson dropping his desired playing style, while also putting a guy on the bench that played 28mpg (Galloway) for two guys that played 15 last season. 

Edit: one additional point, you can play 1-in/4-out with both Reneau and Ware in, but it will take some development from both this offseason and it would be a bit of a modified version. 

• Like 2

It was pretty obvious in spite of several thoughts to the contrary 3pt shooting was a huge point of emphasis! Trey went from a 20 something shooter to a 47% shooter! Others made notable improvements. Now carry that to next season and who is going to step up? CJ, Caleb, Malik? What about incoming Ware and others to be named?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BGleas said:

Still a long way to go with roster construction of course, but at least at this point I'd be really surprised if Galloway isn't starting next season.  

And honestly we should want him to start. Maybe others have been watching a different Trey but I absolutely want him in my starting lineup unless others are just head and shoulders better than him.

He sees the court well, shot has improved, breaks down guys with the dribble.....understands and knows where Coach wants the ball. He's in my 5 no matter who transfers in.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And honestly we should want him to start. Maybe others have been watching a different Trey but I absolutely want him in my starting lineup unless others are just head and shoulders better than him.

He sees the court well, shot has improved, breaks down guys with the dribble.....understands and knows where Coach wants the ball. He's in my 5 no matter who transfers in.

100%... and he can guard 1-3, and guard well. He is absolutely who you match with XJ/Knecht (if we are fortunate enough to get him)... he can draw the other teams best offensive threat on the defensive end and it makes XJ/DK jobs a lot easier. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't want him to start because we need clear upgrades over last years 2-4 players 

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't want him to start because we need clear upgrades over last years 2-4 players 

An upgrade at those positions wouldn't be having XJ as the only ball handler/creator on the court. 

I also don't see us starting this big lineup (Knecht, Ludlum, Reneau and Ware) and then completely switching styles with Cupps, Galloway, Newton/Gunn and Banks when the bench comes in. 

There's just no flow there. There's no consistency in stylistically, and it goes against how Woodson has said he wants to play. 

• Like 2