2023 Mackenzie Mgbako COMMITS TO INDIANA UNIVERSITY!!!

5 minutes ago, DWB said:

It's a ton of fun to get excited about a recruit and what he "might" bring to the team. But I remember all the hub-bub on Romeo, who turned out to be good, but not great IMO. (true he was hurt, but that doesn't change the fact that he wasn't an all-american, or B1G player of the year.) I also remember all the hoopla on Lander. What a disappointment he was compared to the build up. JHS was the one player who, in my mind, DID live up to the hype. But historically, they have been few and far between.

MM may be a great player at the college level. I sincerely hope he is. But from my view, this thread has all the implications that he is the "perfect fit" for what we need, and we'll be a FF team if he comes (implied, not said). I'm not ready to hop on that band wagon just yet. I'll root like hell for him, but I need to see it on the court first. Just me.

Like IUFLA I've been around a long time. I've seen a fair amount of BB in my time. You guys can get carried away all you want. That's your prerogative. 

I just think the rub is (which hasn’t been disputed, really)…

- top ten guys are a bit different caliber than guys on the cusp of being 5 stars. 

- of those top ten guys, there are a couple who don’t pan out the way the ‘experts’ expect them to in their first year.

- But I’d guess 70-80% (pulling that number out of my butt) do contribute major minutes as Freshmen.

- Those who are ready to contribute AND fill a hole in their teams line-up, have an even bigger impact.

SO, yes, I’m going to get a bit excited about MM. I fully understand he can be a bust, but chances are he’ll be pretty damn good. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, rico said:

He was good.  Didn't work out for us though.

For me that era of RMK tenure was my least favorite time. Had so many top recruits on those teams but couldn't do anything.

Patterson

Reid 

Recker

Miller  

7'0 from Ohio but can't remember his name

Guyton was the best player of them all and he wasn't highly ranked

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

JHS was a 4 star, Malik 4 star, Ware not high school recruit. 😬. Thanks. Why don’t you go back to your doom and gloom hole. 

That actually depends on where you look. 247 had them both as 4 stars. Rivals has them both as 5 stars. ESPN has Malik as 5 and JHS as a 4. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

For me that era of RMK tenure was my least favorite time. Had so many top recruits on those teams but couldn't do anything.

Patterson

Reid 

Recker

Miller  

Jason Collier (RIP)

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, IUskim said:

That actually depends on where you look. 247 had them both as 4 stars. Rivals has them both as 5 stars. ESPN has Malik as 5 and JHS as a 4. 

So either way not a unanimous 5 star like MM and the try to be correction master of  Indyresident who has been doom and gloom saying the staff is incompetent and can’t recruit. 
So I’ll rephrase. When was the last time Indiana had a chance with an out of state top 10 nationally ranked high school recruit. 

• Thanks 1

I'll say what I said 20 pages ago. Coach Woodson and our staff in short order have us in the right neighborhood. You keep knocking at that door and the results will follow. IU bias aside, NIL let's say is the same....we offer such a better opportunity for immediate minutes/starting.....showcasing his skill set just like we did with JHS,etc...

With that said. Losing to Kansas isn't falling off the cliff time. It's not a defeatist attitude it's just what it is. Kansas is what we want to be again. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DWB said:

But I remember all the hub-bub on Romeo, who turned out to be good, but not great IMO. (true he was hurt, but that doesn't change the fact that he wasn't an all-american, or B1G player of the year.) I also remember all the hoopla on Lander. What a disappointment he was compared to the build up. JHS was the one player who, in my mind, DID live up to the hype. But historically, they have been few and far between.

I think Romeo being hurt was a very big deal that people tend to just brush aside. And I don't remember a lot of hoopla about Lander at all, but that might just be me. He was 17 and weighed like 140lbs. Most impact Freshman are basically grown men or at least have some sort of size and length about them or pass the "eye test". Lander wasn't particular tall, obviously not strong/built, and had a funky shot. I hadn't and didn't know much about him besides he was a "5 star" (whatever that means when you're a Junior) and that he was 17. Not sure who or where he was listed as a 5 star but they most likely were too lazy to update his ranking/rating or something. Maybe he was dominating at 14 because of his quickness, but watching him for 5 minutes at IU and knew he wasn't going to do much for a couple of years. He had zero shot (yet seemed to take threes a lot) and couldn't not keep his man in front of him (too weak I suppose) even though he was fast.  

Edited by OGIUAndy

19 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

So either way not a unanimous 5 star like MM and the try to be correction master of  Indyresident who has been doom and gloom saying the staff is incompetent and can’t recruit. 
So I’ll rephrase. When was the last time Indiana had a chance with an out of state top 10 nationally ranked high school recruit. 

Too long?

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Patterson

Reid 

Recker

Miller  

I could talk for days on end about my disappointment in those characters.

• Like 2

The funny thing is, they're having the exact same debate on the KU board ("you think he'll start over KJ Adams?!?!") 

The commonality is, were all IU fans, we'd all like Coach Woodson to get this kid, we'd all like him to succeed, and take IU to a final 4...

Kubaya y'all 😁

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The funny thing is, they're having the exact same debate on the KU board ("you think he'll start over KJ Adams?!?!") 

The commonality is, were all IU fans, we'd all like Coach Woodson to get this kid, we'd all like him to succeed, and take IU to a final 4...

Kubaya y'all 😁

Sisley and Haralson...2026 Indy Final 4. I should buy the domain now. 

• Like 2

So do we think Woodson and Co are still reaching out and staying in touch with MM in this 11th hour? I’ve always wondered about how much is too much contact before a commitment? How much more money is currently trying to be pulled together and thrown at MM? I’m sure all these recruits want some time with family and just to think too.