2023 Mackenzie Mgbako COMMITS TO INDIANA UNIVERSITY!!!

You guys are in the game for a top player nobody had mentioned a month ago?

Adidas has to like the results from last years representatives JHS & TJD 

Seems pretty obvious playing time is available at IU 

although most top 10 players probably don’t worry about beating out 4 stars for minutes 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Crap, fouls!! I deserver that. lol! I'm always quick to pick out other poster's typing mistakes....😆

I did go back and add BTB....🥴

Your Cheatin' Heart, will tell on you....

You've been unfaithful to HSN.  Is BTB better looking?  Have more money?  A better listener?  Make you feel more loved?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on who Mac chooses?
I’ll go first. 
I’ll say Kansas but I’m back to almost 50/50. 

My guess is Kansas.  And the only reason over NIL and Playing time is Kansas is more likely to make the final 4 or win a national championship.  Based on the last say 20 years.  Other than that, we have a great coaching staff, decent facilities and top of the line NIL.

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

My guess is Kansas.  And the only reason over NIL and Playing time is Kansas is more likely to make the final 4 or win a national championship.  Based on the last say 20 years.  Other than that, we have a great coaching staff, decent facilities and top of the line NIL.

This is what I keep coming back to as well. Unless Woodson and staff were able to just build a major relationship with MM and his parents, which is entirely possible, Kansas just makes sense. 

Sure, IU can offer a more featured role offensively, but at Kansas you are all but assured a top 10 ranking all season, conference title, legit shot at a conference tournament title and a top 2 seed in the Tournament. 

So many other things are equal or maybe even slightly in IU's favor, but the above is a big one IMO. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

This is what I keep coming back to as well. Unless Woodson and staff were able to just build a major relationship with MM and his parents, which is entirely possible, Kansas just makes sense. 

Sure, IU can offer a more featured role offensively, but at Kansas you are all but assured a top 10 ranking all season, conference title, legit shot at a conference tournament title and a top 2 seed in the Tournament. 

So many other things are equal or maybe even slightly in IU's favor, but the above is a big one IMO. 

I'm in agreement, with one caveat.  Why visit st. johns then?  You know that's not a tournament team at the time of the visit.  IU, with or without MM, is more than likely a tournament team.  He puts us back into the top 25 discussion, with another signing likely putting us into top 10-15 range.  There's too much to evaluate on this one and my head hurts thinking about it.  can't wait to get it over with lol. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

If you guys are right, it means we really need to win when the Jayhawks visit Assembly Hall.  

• Like 6

1 minute ago, kycarter88 said:

I'm in agreement, with one caveat.  Why visit st. johns then?  You know that's not a tournament team at the time of the visit.  IU, with or without MM, is more than likely a tournament team.  He puts us back into the top 25 discussion, with another signing likely putting us into top 10-15 range.  There's too much to evaluate on this one and my head hurts thinking about it.  can't wait to get it over with lol. 

Because it's the hometown school and it's Pitino. 

I'm not saying that was the overriding factor to the entire recruitment. I'm saying if I was trying to choose between two finalists and I didn't have any previous allegiance to IU or Kansas, at the end of the decision day, the proven winning track record of Kansas would be a tough tie-breaker to overlook. 

• Like 2

Just now, BGleas said:

Because it's the hometown school and it's Pitino. 

I'm not saying that was the overriding factor to the entire recruitment. I'm saying if I was trying to choose between two finalists and I didn't have any previous allegiance to IU or Kansas, at the end of the decision day, the proven winning track record of Kansas would be a tough tie-breaker to overlook. 

Unfortunately Kansas is more in line with Duke for National Recognition than IU at this moment in time.  I am happy we're in the top 2 or 3 for these major recruits and if we keep doing what we're doing, and CMW can speed it up a little faster, we're going to be a top 15 destination for recruits year over year.  Just not sure we're there yet.  I hope this kid chooses IU and we have a stellar year for 2023. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I have the same feeling. If he was in love with IU he would have committed on the spot. I think he strategically took the Kansas visit before IU and the scheduled Louisville visit. He knew he was going to get a number thrown at him after leaving Lawrence and the family knew that IU and Louisville would be willing to pay and they could leverage that into a bigger number after he concluded the other two. Have a feeling IU offered a number similar or bigger to what Kansas offered and the Louisville trip was cancelled ahead of time once that number to match was thrown out to make a visit worthwhile. I believe Kansas has spent the last week gathering the needed money and he'll ultimately choose Kansas here this evening.

Guessing we'll start to hear some leaks trickle here early/late afternoon. 

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Then why leave Duke?  More PT at Kansas, presumably?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kycarter88 said:

Hometown team with a legendary coach who have had donors come out and say the are willing to pay to get Pitino rolling. 

Just now, IndyResident16 said:

I have the same feeling. If he was in love with IU he would have committed on the spot. I think he strategically took the Kansas visit before IU and the scheduled Louisville visit. He knew he was going to get a number thrown at him after leaving Lawrence and the family knew that IU and Louisville would be willing to pay and they could leverage that into a bigger number after he concluded the other two. Have a feeling IU offered a number similar or bigger to what Kansas offered and the Louisville trip was cancelled ahead of time once that number to match was thrown out to make a visit worthwhile. I believe Kansas has spent the last week gathering the needed money and he'll ultimately choose Kansas here this evening.

Guessing we'll start to hear some leaks trickle here early/late afternoon. 

That's all a little too conspiracy theory for me. I think MM is truly evaluating both IU and Kansas as legit options. 

I just think at the end of the day, Kansas' probability of winning is the deal breaker. 

• Like 1