Governor's Cup

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I’ll give y’all props. Interesting to look at the different sports to see the results. Seems like certain sports one side has dominated for years (Swimming/Track/XC for you and Wrestling/Volleyball for us). For years our women’s bball dominated the series but that has shifted more recently. I don’t expect football to change anytime soon 😉 

Edited by Stlboiler23

3 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I’ll give y’all props. Interesting to look at the different sports to see the results. Seems like certain sports one side has dominated for years (Swimming/Track/XC for you and Wrestling/Volleyball for us). For years our women’s bball dominated the series but that has shifted more recently. I don’t expect football to change anytime soon 😉 

Your football program worries no one, bruh. I think you got lucky in that game this season. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Your football program worries no one, bruh. I think you got lucky in that game this season. 

I think Walters and company are going to do big things tbh. Already crushing it on the recruiting trail. 

I do think we got lucky that Williams got hurt. I think the game looks a bit different if he hadn’t gotten hurt. 

Edited by Stlboiler23

10 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think Walters and company are going to do big things tbh. Already crushing it on the recruiting trail. 

I do think we got lucky that Williams got hurt. I think the game looks a bit different if he hadn’t gotten hurt. 

Would have been a good ending, for sure. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I suspect that is probably more weather related than Title IX.  Still sad though, that a major university doesn't field a baseball program.  

100% Title IX. They have softball. 

They actually had it at one point. But, I do see your point.. since NCAA Base starts in the winter lol 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

100% Title IX. They have softball. 

They actually had it at one point. But, I do see your point.. since NCAA Base starts in the winter lol 

I say it's not title IX because if they really wanted baseball, they could field a women's Gymnastics team or something to comply with Title IX.  Instead, they just prefer to operate without baseball.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I suspect that is probably more weather related than Title IX.  Still sad though, that a major university doesn't field a baseball program.  

I was living in Madison when they dropped baseball. 1991.Their athletic department was in a mess and was in serious debt. They cut 4 programs in total and saved about $2 million 

35 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I was living in Madison when they dropped baseball. 1991.Their athletic department was in a mess and was in serious debt. They cut 4 programs in total and saved about $2 million 

What were the other 3?

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I say it's not title IX because if they really wanted baseball, they could field a women's Gymnastics team or something to comply with Title IX.  Instead, they just prefer to operate without baseball.  

First off I’m for women’s sports and therefore support the reasons for TitleIX. I am so thankful that my daughter had the opportunities in sports that she did. Heck up until this season she was my grandson’s baseball coach! However I was right in that time frame, I wrestled one year in college then the team was no more. So MANY non revenue sports dropped!! So many STILL dropped like Purdue Baseball! My neighbor is a professor of Sports Management his doctoral concerned Title IX it is still needed, but unfortunately many schools still haven’t figured out the balance.

Maybe I’ll get a warning for this, but it pis… me off that after all the sacrifices made on both sides we now have men winning women’s championships!!!!!! And I know and accept transgender people.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

First off I’m for women’s sports and therefore support the reasons for TitleIX. I am so thankful that my daughter had the opportunities in sports that she did. Heck up until this season she was my grandson’s baseball coach! However I was right in that time frame, I wrestled one year in college then the team was no more. So MANY non revenue sports dropped!! So many STILL dropped like Purdue Baseball! My neighbor is a professor of Sports Management his doctoral concerned Title IX it is still needed, but unfortunately many schools still haven’t figured out the balance.

Maybe I’ll get a warning for this, but it pis… me off that after all the sacrifices made on both sides we now have men winning women’s championships!!!!!! And I know and accept transgender people.

I would argue that football is the main problem. I know it’s the money-maker but why do college football programs need 85!!! scholarships?  I think Title IX is an equal scholarship thing, not equal sport thing right? Certainly correct me if I’m wrong. But if I’m right, reducing football scholarships could have saved other men’s sports. Not to go down a rabbit hole, but it’s criminal that baseball gets 11.7 while football sits with 85. Football kids who never touch the field in four years are getting full rides. 

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Actually 4 

Both gymnastics teams and both fencing teams 

I beat UW’s number 1 in foil (fencing). Best I can tell no BIG school currently has a fencing team!? And the sad thing is women’s fencing is strong.

I got into fencing because my older brother fenced for IU!

Edited by Drroogh
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

My neighbor is a professor of Sports Management his doctoral concerned Title IX it is still needed, but unfortunately many schools still haven’t figured out the balance.

He came down to talk about his grading of students at the end of term and I read him word for word what I posted earlier. When I read ‘unfortunately many schools haven’t figured out the balance’ he slapped his knee and said absolutely 100% 

12 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I would argue that football is the main problem. I know it’s the money-maker but why do college football programs need 85!!! scholarships?  I think Title IX is an equal scholarship thing, not equal sport thing right? Certainly correct me if I’m wrong. But if I’m right, reducing football scholarships could have saved other men’s sports. Not to go down a rabbit hole, but it’s criminal that baseball gets 11.7 while football sits with 85. Football kids who never touch the field in four years are getting full rides. 

That's not really the issue.  85 is pretty close to the correct amount... much lower and it would be tough. 

The issue, at least with baseball, is the NCAA/schools are cheap asses. There's no reason there aren't 35 full ride schollies in baseball.  These schools aren't close to poor. They already give 12 ... what's 20 some more? 

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

That's not really the issue.  85 is pretty close to the correct amount... much lower and it would be tough. 

The issue, at least with baseball, is the NCAA/schools are cheap asses. There's no reason there aren't 35 full ride schollies in baseball.  These schools aren't close to poor. They already give 12 ... what's 20 some more? 

We can agree to disagree on the 85 scholarships. You won’t be able to convince me that they need 85, quality wouldn’t change a bit with 75 instead of 85. Agree on the last part and have an opinion on why baseball gets screwed, but I’m not opening that can up. 

Edited by kyhoosier29