Big Ten Basketball 2023-2024

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

The jealousy is very real. 

Why would I be jealous? IU has more Men's basketball championships that Purdue has TOTAL NCAA championships...

What are you going to put Painter's name on? A popcorn stand?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Why would I be jealous? IU has more Men's basketball championships that Purdue has TOTAL NCAA championships...

What are you going to put Painter's name on? A popcorn stand?

Why? Because Purdue is a program that is about to have the second NPOY in a row. Or they run a program like Knight did back in the day that you all fell in love with. How about Purdue is becoming the premier program in the state and places where you never would’ve guessed you’d see Purdue fandom continue to pop up all over the state. No one is taking anything away from all of the success IU has had historically but I’d guess 90+% of IU fans would gladly trade places with Purdue. And I’m guessing that stings a bit. 

Sisley is a great example. 10 years ago, we wouldn’t have had a chance in hell with him. But with how consistent Painter/Purdue has been plus seeing a guy like TKR pick Purdue has shown that we can land guys from anywhere in the state. 

Edited by Stlboiler23
  • Sad 1

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

Why? Because Purdue is a program that is about to have the second NPOY in a row. Or they run a program like Knight did back in the day that you all fell in love with. How about Purdue is becoming the premier program in the state and places where you never would’ve guessed you’d see Purdue fandom continue to pop up all over the state. No one is taking anything away from all of the success IU has had historically but I’d guess 90+% of IU fans would gladly trade places with Purdue. And I’m guessing that stings a bit. 

Get past the first round and we'll talk...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Get past the first round and we'll talk...

I would just say this.  All IU fans should just shut it because there is only one coach dominating this state and the Big Ten right now in Indiana and it ain’t here. Can’t talk smack when you are barely making the tourney, early exits and now at the bottom of the Big Ten.  

• Like 2

Just now, IU_Realist said:

I would just say this.  All IU fans should just shut it because there is only one coach dominating this state and the Big Ten right now in Indiana and it ain’t here. Can’t talk smack when you are barely making the tourney, early exits and now at the bottom of the Big Ten.  

How many times did Purdue beat us last year?

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

They won the B10.  We didn’t.  Who gives a flying F? They have finished in the top 4 in 9 of the last 10 seasons.  They have four Big Ten titles in the last 10 seasons.  I mean they are kicking our butts year in and out and we are talking crap.  Let’s do it before we talk crap.  Indiana lives in the past instead of the current.  We suck they don’t.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, IU_Realist said:

They won the B10.  We didn’t.  Who gives a flying F? They have finished in the top 4 in 9 of the last 10 seasons.  They have four Big Ten titles in the last 10 seasons.  I mean they are kicking our butts year in and out and we are talking crap.  Let’s do it before we talk crap.  Indiana lives in the past instead of the current.  We suck they don’t.  

They also became a laughingstock by being only the 2nd team to lose to a 16 seed...

Even in their glory years they screw it up...

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

They also became a laughingstock by being only the 2nd team to lose to a 16 seed...

Even in their glory years they screw it up...

Again we have zero glory.  We are the laughingstock getting out recruited in our own backyard.  We are the laughing stock finishing towards the end of a sucky Big Ten.  Again, shut it.  We sound dumb making fun of a team that kicks everyone’s butt every year.  

3 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

Again we have zero glory.  We are the laughingstock getting out recruited in our own backyard.  We are the laughing stock finishing towards the end of a sucky Big Ten.  Again, shut it.  We sound dumb making fun of a team that kicks everyone’s butt every year.  

I love internet tough guys

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I love internet tough guys

There is no internet tough guy.  It’s the truth.  We suck.  We beat an even suckier Maryland team today.  They start a guy that wouldn’t even be a starter for us which is why he transferred.  Some Indiana fans man.  

Edited by IU_Realist
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

There is no internet tough guy.  It’s the truth.  We suck.  We beat an even suckier Maryland team today.  They start a guy that wouldn’t even be a starter for us which is why he transferred.  Some Indiana fans man.  

I would take Painter as our coach in a heart beat. I rather have 4 months of great enjoyable basketball and be disappointed because of one terrible game.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Sisley is a great example. 10 years ago, we wouldn’t have had a chance in hell with him. But with how consistent Painter/Purdue has been plus seeing a guy like TKR pick Purdue has shown that we can land guys from anywhere in the state. 

No one is jealous. We can want the success of our program without envying Purdue it’s not mutually exclusive. What IU fans want is the bar that was set by Knight and McCracken. Good for Purdue for their success the past couple seasons. It’ll make the rivalry better when IU gets back to where it should be with the right coach

What would we want to trade on a macro level with Purdue (titles, massive fan base, history, being one of the most valuable basketball programs)? Or did you mean on a micro level (recent success)?

Edited by southsidehoosier
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

No one is jealous. We can want our success of our program without envying Purdue it’s not mutually exclusive. What IU fans want is the bar that was set by Knight and McCracken. Good for Purdue for their success the past couple seasons. It’ll make the rivalry better when IU gets back to where it should be with the right coach.

Here’s the real question though: is that bar attainable this day and age? I don’t mean that as a knock I just don’t know how realistic it is. I don’t know if I see that type of run for any college coach moving forward tbh. Not with how often coaches can and do move jobs. Especially after guys like K, Roy Williams, and Boeheim retired. Sure you still have Izzo but he’s not long for that job and Self too. 

Edited by Stlboiler23

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Here’s the real question though: is that bar attainable this day and age? I don’t mean that as a knock I just don’t know how realistic it is. I don’t know if I see that type of run for any college coach moving forward tbh. Not with how often coaches can and do move jobs. 

If by the bar you mean being in the top 5 year in and out in the conference, being a team that can make a deep run in the tournament every 4 years and getting a title  every 10 years or so then I think that’s absolutely attainable. Look at UConn. 3 titles with Calhoun and 5 in the last 20ish years. 

4 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

If by the bar you mean being in the top 5 year in and out in the conference, being a team that can make a deep run in the tournament every 4 years and getting a title  every 10 years or so then I think that’s absolutely attainable. Look at UConn. 3 titles with Calhoun and 5 in the last 20ish years. 

Yeah that’s valid. UConn is a really weird example. 5 titles but haven’t been a dominant regular season team. Just get hot in the tournament but kudos to them. The fact that Kevin Ollie won a NC is wild to me. 

IIRC, wasn’t Calhoun a bit shady in the recruiting department? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Is anyone paying attention to UM v OSU?  There isn’t any chance OSU hires Diebler long term is there?

Depends. Are old Indiana admins making the decision? Because we would be that dumb. 

40 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

So you normally tell people face to face to "shut it" when they don't agree with you? Ok...

Winning on the road in the Big 10 is tough, no matter who you play... Purdue found that out at Ohio State...

Mike Woodson is 3-3 against Purdue and went as far as they did in the tournament his first year, and a game farther, against a higher seed, his second...

If this is the Apex of Purdue basketball, getting beat by double digit seeds every year with not only a "generational player" but now by some accounts "The Greatest Boilermaker Ever" then good for them...

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Twice. In the Big Ten regular season championship and in the Big Ten Tournament.

I would gladly trade our two regular season games for those two things, and anyone who gives two craps about being a good program would too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Purdue is going to finish top ten for the third straight year, has made 9 straight tournaments, will finish top 15 for the 7th time in 9 years (Bob Knight never had more than 5 top 15 in 9 years, won their 4th conference title in 8 years, and will have back to back NPOY.

They currently have a program as good as any in the country, and we have one of the worst in the Big Ten in that same stretch. We should probably stop with the smack talk until we get our house in order. 

EDIT: and despite the two first round exits, Purdue has made the S16 or better in four of the last six tournaments. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3