Big Ten Basketball 2023-2024

28 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So you normally tell people face to face to "shut it" when they don't agree with you? Ok...

Winning on the road in the Big 10 is tough, no matter who you play... Purdue found that out at Ohio State...

Mike Woodson is 3-3 against Purdue and went as far as they did in the tournament his first year, and a game farther, against a higher seed, his second...

If this is the Apex of Purdue basketball, getting beat by double digit seeds every year with not only a "generational player" but now by some accounts "The Greatest Boilermaker Ever" then good for them...

No one is taking Woodson over Painter lol. Didn’t Mike Davis have a really good record against Purdue too? Head to head only tells so much of the story. Painter is 17-16 against Izzo but clearly Izzo has the much more impressive resume. 

This whole “gets beaten by double digit seeds every year” is wild to me. I think it’s a severe case of recency bias because before North Texas, it was rare that Painter lost to double digit seeds. And even with Edey gone, our incoming recruiting class is loaded with another likely early NBA entrant. We’ll just keep reloading. 

23 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Purdue is going to finish top ten for the third straight year, has made 9 straight tournaments, will finish top 15 for the 7th time in 9 years (Bob Knight never had more than 5 top 15 in 9 years, won their 4th conference title in 8 years, and will have back to back NPOY.

They currently have a program as good as any in the country, and we have one of the worst in the Big Ten in that same stretch. We should probably stop with the smack talk until we get our house in order. 

EDIT: and despite the two first round exits, Purdue has made the S16 or better in four of the last six tournaments. 

Dare I say you’re maybe becoming a Purdue fan? 😱

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

No one is taking Woodson over Painter lol. Didn’t Mike Davis have a really good record against Purdue too? Head to head only tells so much of the story. Painter is 17-16 against Izzo but clearly Izzo has the much more impressive resume. 

This whole “gets beaten by double digit seeds every year” is wild to me. I think it’s a severe case of recency bias because before North Texas, it was rare that Painter lost to double digit seeds. And even with Edey gone, our incoming recruiting class is loaded with another likely early NBA entrant. We’ll just keep reloading. 

It’s just jealousy.  People just start making comments like this when they are jealous. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah... Jealous 

Screenshot_20231224-113908.thumb.png.f9813d6555affc7dff3864948b5c978b.png

Screenshot_20231224-113849.thumb.png.50c578b96846889f50f4a7821d9fa889.png

You probably weren't even born the last time Purdue went to a Final 4... 

You know you’ve lost an argument when you bring up soccer, swimming, XC, etc…

And you’re right I wasn’t alive the last time Purdue went to a Final Four. I also wasn’t alive the last time IU won it all either. Both of those don’t have much relevance these days. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

And you’re right I wasn’t alive the last time Purdue went to a Final Four. I also wasn’t alive the last time IU won it all either. Both of those don’t have much relevance these days. 

I was 9 the last time Purdue went to the final four. I am now 53 and have 3 grandkids

55 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Here’s the real question though: is that bar attainable this day and age? I don’t mean that as a knock I just don’t know how realistic it is. I don’t know if I see that type of run for any college coach moving forward tbh. Not with how often coaches can and do move jobs. Especially after guys like K, Roy Williams, and Boeheim retired. Sure you still have Izzo but he’s not long for that job and Self too. 

Ohh it’s attainable..the National Brand, incredible NIL, top 5 biggest fan bases in college basketball, Iconic Arena, beautiful campus and college life will always be there..those are things you just can’t teach and some schools will never have..we are just one coach away if we could ever get it right. IU has the ability to be Bama football with the right guy but we are forever waiting on that guy haha. Michigan football was pretty similar to us for awhile with the Brand, NIL, stadium, campus, etc…until they finally found there guy in Harbaugh. We are just waiting to be unlocked..I’d be very happy with Pearl.. I love his style of play.

Kudos for Painter for building PU into what it is. Great program! I honestly like watching PU play. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

😂

Well, I know your generation thinks they never lose, so here you go... Even in the baby crap yellow and black of Purdue...

Screenshot_20240303-200619.thumb.png.77b6b698702b9dac14376e44c7cd1629.png

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah... Jealous 

we are irrelevant right now.  Missing the tourney and have a coach who is below .500 in the B10. Talking crap and we suck.  Jesus Christ.  Definition of insanity. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

we are irrelevant right now.  Missing the tourney and have a coach who is below .500 in the B10. Talking crap and we suck.  Jesus Christ.  Definition of insanity. 

Talking crap about Purdue is what IU fans have always done. Purdue fans were talking crap about IU when they sucked too. That's what a rivalry is about. You talk crap and make fun of your rival regardless of the circumstance. If IU remains irrelevant for the remainder of my life I will still talk crap about Purdue. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

The jealousy is very real. 

Lol.  No matter how “nice” Purdue fans and posters are, it always eventually comes back to this, doesn’t it?

Just for the record—and I can’t speak for the younger generations—those of us my age (pushing 60) and older are not jealous.  I’ve seen IU win 3 championships and go to 5 Final Fours (I don’t remember the ‘73 Final Four).  For those too young to have witnessed those, maybe there is some jealousy.  Only they know.

But the thing for us older folks, we understand that even elite programs have down periods.  Kansas stunk when I was a kid until Larry Brown brought them back.  Alabama football was down for quite a while.  UCLA basketball.  It happens.

No doubt, Purdue is really good this year.  Better than last year.  They could win it all.  But they entered this season with only two consecutive 20-win seasons, just like us.  But one would never guess that from all the talk.  When you have 50 years of college basketball in your memory bank, the past couple years seem like 5 minutes.  It doesn’t really move the needle, as folks here like to say.

To me, the comparison to Alabama football is instructive.  Alabama went through many coaches over a couple decades.  Auburn, their rival, got to talk some smack for a while.  They even won a title.  I think we all know when Indiana decides to pull its head out of its hind-end like Alabama eventually did, things will be back to close to the way they were.  And I bet when that happens, Purdue is going to realize what an opportunity they missed.  Because at least Auburn won a championship.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

Lol.  No matter how “nice” Purdue fans and posters are, it always eventually comes back to this, doesn’t it?

Just for the record—and I can’t speak for the younger generations—those of us my age (pushing 60) and older are not jealous.  I’ve seen IU win 3 championships and go to 5 Final Fours (I don’t remember the ‘73 Final Four).  For those too young to have witnessed those, maybe there is some jealousy.  Only they know.

But the thing for us older folks, we understand that even elite programs have down periods.  Kansas stunk when I was a kid until Larry Brown brought them back.  Alabama football was down for quite a while.  UCLA basketball.  It happens.

No doubt, Purdue is really good this year.  Better than last year.  They could win it all.  But they entered this season with only two consecutive 20-win seasons, just like us.  But one would never guess that from all the talk.  When you have 50 years of college basketball in your memory bank, the past couple years seem like 5 minutes.  It doesn’t really move the needle, as folks here like to say.

To me, the comparison to Alabama football is instructive.  Alabama went through many coaches over a couple decades.  Auburn, their rival, got to talk some smack for a while.  They even won a title.  I think we all know when Indiana decides to pull its head out of its hind-end like Alabama eventually did, things will be back to close to the way they were.  And I bet when that happens, Purdue is going to realize what an opportunity they missed.  Because at least Auburn won a championship.

I’ll add my two favorite Purdue facts:  men’s basketball has been to the final game around the same time IU football played in the Rose Bowl.

our former coach who lost 25ish games to start the season has more tournament success at IU then Purdue in 60 years.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, IUJoe said:

Always...

They act like they're on some UCLA type run...

Like I said, we're 3-3 against them in the Woody era...and they've lost to double digit seeds the last 2 years...

If that's the zenith of Purdue basketball... 🤣

It's going to be enjoyable next year watching them play without Edey...

I wonder if Painter has put in for Berg's lane parking pass yet?

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Always...

They act like they're on some UCLA type run...

Like I said, we're 3-3 against them in the Woody era...and they've lost to double digit seeds the last 2 years...

If that's the zenith of Purdue basketball... 🤣

It's going to be enjoyable next year watching them play without Edey...

I wonder if Painter has put in for Berg's lane parking pass yet?

Love the hyperbole lol. Show me where we’re acting like we’re on a UCLA type run. 

Who’s saying that’s the zenith? We’ll continue to be a really good program after Edey is gone just like we were before he got here. 

I love the “just wait until Edey is gone” takes as if people think we’ll suck. We heard the same thing about Swanigan, Carsen, Ivey, etc… Painter has things rolling and it’s not going to stop just because Edey leaves. With him gone and the incoming class coming in, we’ll still be a top 25 team easily. 

• Like 1

I'm going to bang this drum for the next two weeks. I'm looking at Sparty schedule and I just don't see how everyone still has them in tourney. Not even on the bubble or last 4. Wins vs Baylor, Indiana St highlight the nonconference. Best conference win is home vs Illinois....those 3 are it. Have lost 3 in a row as well yet they moved up in rankings.

Just blows my mind.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah... Jealous 

1.  Purdue Athletics is a joke🏆🏆 🏆 

2.  If getting 4 year guys who value academics & athletics means no NC I’ll survive.  

Purdue is my school not a T-shirt I bought at Walmart 

Not saying I’m a better fan…but I care about the school & academics 

Never been embarrassed to tell anyone worldwide I’m a Purdue Alum 

PS I was in MSA

Was UCLA there? 

I haven't done all the scenarios yet but if I'm looking at this right if we win both games this week we would have tiebreakers over Sparty, Minnesota, and Iowa if all end up at 10 wins. Unless Wisconsin stumbles again I'm seeing us at a 6 seed in Big 10 tourney. Again assuming we win both this week. 

At 6 seed that would be some combination of playing winner of Penn St/Michigan with Northwestern (3 seed) next followed by likely Illinois.

Not the worst path to Saturday in BTT.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

PS I was in MSA

Was UCLA there? 

A) Wasn't posting to you...Was @Stlboiler23 alive in 1980? 

B) Yes, they were...beat your asses in the Semi Final...But, you did beat Iowa for 3rd place...Surprised you don't have a second banner for 1980 to glamorize that accomplishment...

1 hour ago, Purdue7 said:

1.  Purdue Athletics is a joke🏆🏆 🏆 

2.  If getting 4 year guys who value academics & athletics means no NC I’ll survive.  

Purdue is my school not a T-shirt I bought at Walmart 

Not saying I’m a better fan…but I care about the school & academics 

Never been embarrassed to tell anyone worldwide I’m a Purdue Alum 

PS I was in MSA

Was UCLA there? 

That’s the thing: would it be cool if Purdue had a bunch of titles in golf or tennis or some other sport? Sure. Does it change my Purdue fandom? Not even a little. 

Couldn’t agree return never being embarrassed to be a Purdue alum. Anytime I travel and rep Purdue, it’s either a “Boiler Up” or “Did you go to Purdue? Nice!” and then some variation of them talking about the great reputation Purdue has. I can’t recall one time where someone legit gave me a hard time for Purdue athletics tbh. It’s almost always with people understanding it’s a great school/brand. And unlike a school like Illinois with the TSJ stuff, I’m never ashamed to rep my alma mater because our coach does things the right way. 

50 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

A) Wasn't posting to you...Was @Stlboiler23 alive in 1980? 

B) Yes, they were...beat your asses in the Semi Final...But, you did beat Iowa for 3rd place...Surprised you don't have a second banner for 1980 to glamorize that accomplishment...

I already answered that question lol.