Akron Game Thread

KDB

W in T actual F was that!?  I know you cant gameplan recievers dropping passes that hit them in the hands, but the play calling was horrific, especially in the red zone!  Ive not seen anything outa the OC that gives me any faith in him going forward.  We get to the 1 yard line twice and dont score. That CANT happen!

Between how far I've gotten on DVR so far, comments/reports from here and media, two things stand out to me (despite the no lack of things to criticize). O-line got smoked by a MAC D and Allen reporting in post-game presser that he sensed late in the week we weren't taking Akron seriously enough. I mean, if that's not ultimately on the coaching staff then nothing is. And our play looked like just that. 

• Like 2

IU has a lot of potential.  I mean a TON of potential.  We have a lot of talent.  But man, there is so much work to be done it's crazy.  First off, Coach Bell needs fired.  Hell, he should have been fired before the press conference even began.  The play calling was beyond terrible.  Credit where credit is due however, that final 2 point play was a really nice play design.  Where was that creative style of design prior?!  Secondly, since we're stuck with Coach Bell, he might as well perform his duties as QB coach and teach Tayven to utilize his progressions.  I get it, he's young, he'll learn.  But I'm so tired of seeing him look down his go-to receiver on every single passing play.  It's happened multiple times in all the games this year.  Another sign of his youth, he over-threw a well covered deep ball on 3rd and 4 near the end of the 4Q when he should have ran for a first which would have nearly sealed the win.  The left side of the line had a huge hole.  He could have run for 10-15 yard probably.

For me, lots of frustrations.  But it's the coaching staff IMO.  The players have potential, it just doesn't feel like they are being led well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

If we had a decent OC we could be really competitive…what’s Bells contract situation?

The issue is the coach that is hiring the assistants. When it comes to leadership and energy etc Coach Allen seems like a fine man….but he has put together perhaps the worst staff I think I’ve ever seen….and those are the ones responsible day in and day out to grow these kids. Between the portal and what talent we brought in we have as good of talent as IU has had in many years…and yet the product on the field is perhaps worse than ever. What does that tell us? No one coaches drops, missed reads, missed tackles, missed assignments, and lack of energy…but well actually that IS a sign of coaching.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

The issue is the coach that is hiring the assistants. When it comes to leadership and energy etc Coach Allen seems like a fine man….but he has put together perhaps the worst staff I think I’ve ever seen….and those are the ones responsible day in and day out to grow these kids. Between the portal and what talent we brought in we have as good of talent as IU has had in many years…and yet the product on the field is perhaps worse than ever. What does that tell us? No one coaches drops, missed reads, missed tackles, missed assignments, and lack of energy…but well actually that IS a sign of coaching.

I basically agree but I’ve wanted Allen to work because he isn’t leaving if we become good…any other coach is probably just going to use us as a stepping stone and then we start over 

39 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Lost in all the other stuff. I think we have a good one in Tayven. You can see the signs and as a freshman he'll only get better. One very important box is checked for the future at least.

They need to stop getting him killed running the option (he isn’t even a running threat) or he’ll be out for the year and will transfer to Washington 

• Like 1