Akron Game Thread

KDB

3 hours ago, D-BONE said:

Between how far I've gotten on DVR so far, comments/reports from here and media, two things stand out to me (despite the no lack of things to criticize). O-line got smoked by a MAC D and Allen reporting in post-game presser that he sensed late in the week we weren't taking Akron seriously enough. I mean, if that's not ultimately on the coaching staff then nothing is. And our play looked like just that. 

Really sh*tty game. 

28 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

They need to stop getting him killed running the option (he isn’t even a running threat) or he’ll be out for the year and will transfer to Washington 

Good thing he won’t be transferring for at least a couple more years unless he wants to sit out a year.

1 hour ago, Common Sense said:

"Anchored in substance" as the Oregon coach said in his pregame before beating the hell out of Colorado.  

IU football is anchored in substance.  Probably need to get rid of LEO.  This is college football for God's sakes.  

Is this too much substance?

https://x.com/indianafootball/status/1705794657781698613?s=46&t=exWux6zeVaJfO0kgYInrWQ

• Confused 1

I actually feel like we have a path to six wins this season with some modest improvement.  The defense is a .500 level defense and opportunistic. 

Good quarterback and will only get better.  Skill guys have got to make plays.  Dropped passes happen.  But geez, we could have been up a couple touchdown at the half.  Play calling is stupid.  Unless you have a kick ass offensive line that can block second level,  triple option football is dead.  

4th and short, IU should kick the field goal and go up two scores.  

Allen has got to chill the hell out.  He needs to let his D-coordinator go crazy on the sidelines.  I think part of the bad decisions that are made are because he is all over the place.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2023 at 3:32 PM, Common Sense said:

I actually feel like we have a path to six wins this season with some modest improvement.  The defense is a .500 level defense and opportunistic. 

Good quarterback and will only get better.  Skill guys have got to make plays.  Dropped passes happen.  But geez, we could have been up a couple touchdown at the half.  Play calling is stupid.  Unless you have a kick ass offensive line that can block second level,  triple option football is dead.  

4th and short, IU should kick the field goal and go up two scores.  

Allen has got to chill the hell out.  He needs to let his D-coordinator go crazy on the sidelines.  I think part of the bad decisions that are made are because he is all over the place.

I agree with talent being six-win-worthy with the significant exception that it's hard in the B1G with an impotent o-line whether or not the skill players are good, which they appear to be. Then, you've got the coaching (all areas) piece overlaid too.

Coaching staff needs to step up and make something happen. I mean 5 wins would still require 3 B1G wins, which while disappointing, would would at least show competitiveness. Another 0 to 2 win season doesn't cut it. If you take out the COVID season recored TA is  11-35 in B1G with 3 2- win seasons and a 0-win season as 4 out of the 5 years.

Yes, it's Indiana football, but  how long do you tolerate that rationale? Come on, TA, get something done this year and allay some of this criticism.

24 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

How long can IU substantially keep funding a program that can’t fill less than half its stadium. We need some excitement, in this program not rah rah . We need wins . 

seems like they are doing okay.

The IU Bloomington football program paid out $29,373,452 in expenses while making $56,453,582 in total revenue. This means the program turned a profit, making $27,080,130 for the school. This is great since many college sports programs lose money.

https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/indiana-university-bloomington/student-life/sports/#google_vignette

19 hours ago, OLDIUFAN said:

How long can IU substantially keep funding a program that can’t fill less than half its stadium. We need some excitement, in this program not rah rah . We need wins . 

The next tv contract check that comes in basically says, doesn't matter.  There could be zero people in the stands with zero wins.  

21 hours ago, OLDIUFAN said:

Just got a text today that they are selling tickets to the Homecoming Rutgers game at 2/$30.  Makes me wonder if they are not seeing the ticket sales as they have the last few years.

On 9/27/2023 at 12:57 PM, ledies22 said:

seems like they are doing okay.

The IU Bloomington football program paid out $29,373,452 in expenses while making $56,453,582 in total revenue. This means the program turned a profit, making $27,080,130 for the school. This is great since many college sports programs lose money.

https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/indiana-university-bloomington/student-life/sports/#google_vignette

I stand corrected thank you!

16 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Yah… im not sure how that works out, but if a shitty product makes that kinda money…. Why not lol

It’s just frustrating because just a few years back it felt like we were getting close to having a solid program. 
we are maybe expecting to much out of a freshman QB! Also a lot of new coaches so could be a few years off again!