This is wild

KDB

7 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

That’s just it.  He went right up to Allen and said to fire him.  It wasn’t a question.   To take @5fouls point, that is like calling someone’s friend or colleague he hired ugly on statewide radio.  

So it isn’t what he said but when and where he said it? I think we all talk about wanting more candor and straight forward honesty. I don’t think it worked as far as the show goes because it offers no discussion nor will it offer any insight to the staff and coach…but off the air I think it was a fair statement…

Edited by dgambill

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

It isn’t a Schtick in my opinion….I know him jumping around like that annoyed a lot of people but I think he is genuine to himself. LEO thing too…but yes if the results aren’t there…that will wear thin. Am I wrong in just thinking I think he would be a great defensive coordinator/special teams coach  but just isn’t the right guy to lead a whole program?? I just think he is lost and has no vision or concept of what we should be on the other side of the ball…or how to get us there. We have him for another year regardless…so he will likely fire Bell and he will have one last shot to get it right…hope he does for our sake.

Fair to say it isn't a schtick and is genuine, I agree. But we also seem to both agree it wears thin when the wins are not happening.

I also agree he'd be a much better DC. I am very thankfully for what Allen has done to get us to new heights, but it also sticks out that our hand got forced to move on from Wilson when he was also taking us in a positive direction because Allen was going to move on to greener pastures as a DC. Did Allen cause that? I really don't know, but I definitely think it contributed to moving on from Wilson the way we did after two straight bowl games. 

9 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

That’s just it.  He went right up to Allen and said to fire him.  It wasn’t a question.   To take @5fouls point, that is like calling someone’s friend or colleague he hired ugly on statewide radio.  

So you think he was too honest?

If you hire a friend and they are making everyone else suffer, sometimes you need to hear a hard truth. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Fair to say it isn't a schtick and is genuine, I agree. But we also seem to both agree it wears thin when the wins are not happening.

I also agree he'd be a much better DC. I am very thankfully for what Allen has done to get us to new heights, but it also sticks out that our hand got forced to move on from Wilson when he was also taking us in a positive direction because Allen was going to move on to greener pastures as a DC. Did Allen cause that? I really don't know, but I definitely think it contributed to moving on from Wilson the way we did after two straight bowl games. 

Is it just me but do you prefer to have a coach that has an identity and system on the offensive side of the ball vs a defensive minded? At a program like IU where it is hard to keep assistants and is a stepping stone program for most coaches (not the end game) it’s just hard to build continuity and if I have that on the offensive side of the ball I feel like that is more important to sustaining an underdog program than defensively.

Again you just are going to struggle to build a program that is going to out talent/out physical most B1G powerhouses and hold down those teams defensively to keep a struggling offense in the game as opposed to an offense that is dynamic and can score but may not be able to get enough stops defensively. We all want the perfect program like Alabama but if you are at least consistently a threatening offensive team I feel like you always have a fighters chance having some breaks go your way and ending up on top, maybe with a lead and holding on. Especially with the rule change shortening the game. Where the opposite when you can’t move the ball…eventually you just wear down on defense and can’t hold the tide back forever. Plus fans stay engage when you are scoring and we all know we need more fan engagement. Just my thought…obviously both are important but maybe I’m just being a prisoner of the moment how frustrating it has been watching our offensive woes last couple years.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Is it just me but do you prefer to have a coach that has an identity and system on the offensive side of the ball vs a defensive minded? At a program like IU where it is hard to keep assistants and is a stepping stone program for most coaches (not the end game) it’s just hard to build continuity and if I have that on the offensive side of the ball I feel like that is more important to sustaining an underdog program than defensively.

Again you just are going to struggle to build a program that is going to out talent/out physical most B1G powerhouses and hold down those teams defensively to keep a struggling offense in the game as opposed to an offense that is dynamic and can score but may not be able to get enough stops defensively. We all want the perfect program like Alabama but if you are at least consistently a threatening offensive team I feel like you always have a fighters chance having some breaks go your way and ending up on top, maybe with a lead and holding on. Especially with the rule change shortening the game. Where the opposite when you can’t move the ball…eventually you just wear down on defense and can’t hold the tide back forever. Plus fans stay engage when you are scoring and we all know we need more fan engagement. Just my thought…obviously both are important but maybe I’m just being a prisoner of the moment how frustrating it has been watching our offensive woes last couple years.

I tend to agree that for a program like IU, an offensive hire makes more sense than a defensive hire.

I think with Allen, though, some of his greatest strengths are his greatest weaknesses. He is a great guy, he is exciting, he is all these wonderful things... but it has resulted in less than idea decisions with the staff, and his incredible enthusiasm starts to wane on you when the wins aren't happening. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

So you think he was too honest?

If you hire a friend and they are making everyone else suffer, sometimes you need to hear a hard truth. 

I think what they are saying is it wasn’t the right format to air that frustration..and it wasn’t productive to gaining any insight for the people viewing because there was no question…it was a statement and one easy to ignore. So it felt like it was for clicks and served no real purpose. while it could serve a purpose…to air a grievance and maybe put the program on blast…maybe that is needed..I don’t have a problem with what was said it probably wasn’t the venue nor the right way to point out the ineptitude of our offense and what changes we can bring to that side of the ball. In the end I think this isn’t a big deal…people will fall on either side and this stuff happens a lot on these college call in shows…I’ve heard it a lot in the past…guess with social media people can bring more attention to them.

44 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I tend to agree that for a program like IU, an offensive hire makes more sense than a defensive hire.

I think with Allen, though, some of his greatest strengths are his greatest weaknesses. He is a great guy, he is exciting, he is all these wonderful things... but it has resulted in less than idea decisions with the staff, and his incredible enthusiasm starts to wane on you when the wins aren't happening. 

I guess in the end…win..and be consistent…all I know if we ever find one that can put us at 7-5 consistently or even 8-4 I hope they stick around for awhile.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think what they are saying is it wasn’t the right format to air that frustration..and it wasn’t productive to gaining any insight for the people viewing because there was no question…it was a statement and one easy to ignore. So it felt like it was for clicks and served no real purpose. while it could serve a purpose…to air a grievance and maybe put the program on blast…maybe that is needed..I don’t have a problem with what was said it probably wasn’t the venue nor the right way to point out the ineptitude of our offense and what changes we can bring to that side of the ball. In the end I think this isn’t a big deal…people will fall on either side and this stuff happens a lot on these college call in shows…I’ve heard it a lot in the past…guess with social media people can bring more attention to them.

Reasonable take.

Perhaps I've missed it, but if there was more accountability from the leadership within the program about the problems and how they're going to address them (or at least that they're going to address them) do we think this still would have happened?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

UW and Iowa has been pretty successful using this kind of system.  I always thought for IU to compete in the Big Ten they needed to use the the model ran by UW. Need to recruit big O lineman and a really good RB's and just use the power game. Actually this sysyy is the only tjay had worked at IU under Mallory

Edited by IU Scott

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

UW and Iowa has been pretty successful using this kind of system.  I always thought for IU to compete in the Big Ten they needed to use the the model ran by UW. Need to recruit big O lineman and a really good RB's and just use the power game. Actually this sysyy is the only tjay had worked at IU under Mallory

Maybe it’s just playing in the East but those teams have little success against the Ohio St, Penn St, and Michigans. I just don’t think you are going to over power those teams. If anything it’s teams like Minnesota & Purdue with the qb and receivers spreading them out and attacking them that have given them the problems…or maybe I’m misremembering.

I also don’t think we are going to get those type of players because we have no history of recruiting and putting tons of guys like that into the nfl. I’m not saying we have to be only a finesse team but I think our best chance to win games is to be hard to prepare for…dynamic on offense especially attacking teams on the perimeter. I just don’t see us lining up and beating them with both front 7s. We have to hold our own obviously…can’t be wet toilet paper but dangerous on the perimeter…a qb that can run…building a program like that seems more realistic imo and easier to sustain year in and out…at least given the limitation we face with our programs history.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Maybe it’s just playing in the East but those teams have little success against the Ohio St, Penn St, and Michigans. I just don’t think you are going to over power those teams. If anything it’s teams like Minnesota & Purdue with the qb and receivers spreading them out and attacking them that have given them the problems…or maybe I’m misremembering.

I also don’t think we are going to get those type of players because we have no history of recruiting and putting tons of guys like that into the nfl. I’m not saying we have to be only a finesse team but I think our best chance to win games is to be hard to prepare for…dynamic on offense especially attacking teams on the perimeter. I just don’t see us lining up and beating them with both front 7s. We have to hold our own obviously…can’t be wet toilet paper but dangerous on the perimeter…a qb that can run…building a program like that seems more realistic imo and easier to sustain year in and out…at least given the limitation we face with our programs history.

The ARE years we did that and still couldn't compete with those teams. I am not worried about competing with OSU, UM and PSU but we should be able to compete with the rest of the league.

Edited by IU Scott