Michigan Game Thread

KDB

5 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Lucas is starting to look a little contact shy. Can't help but think running him between the tackles, at his size, has worn him down physically and mentally.

Michigan isn't a great measure of where we're at talent wise. Rutgers, Illinois,  MSU, and Purdue will give us a chance to see what we can do against comparable talent. Offense looked better early; that's my positive takeaway. 

Sagarin has us behind all four of those teams, plus NW. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Nobody thinks we will have the talent level of UM but the discrepancy shouldn't be this different . Also I think it was more UM sleep walking through the first quarter that made our offense look better early.

It's not just the talent discrepancy of the starters,  it's the depth of talent. You're correct the gap shouldn't be as wide as it is, but that's the current situation.  And the penalties killed our momentum to end the first half. Easily could've been 14-14 to start the second half. 

28 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

I stopped watching…but my god this sounds like a dumpster fire. 

I watched in the 4 screen in 1 mode on YouTube Tv. That way I can watch good football while still keeping an eye on what’s going on..I occasionally turn the sound to the IU game but when I hear about the qb and OC carousel and how we will never get things back on track until we fix those positions I realize I’m not going to here anything I don’t already know. 

While I would love a young up and coming OC as head coach the BIG is just gonna get crazy next year with more talented teams and coaches.  They need a dion type and throw the bank at him.  No way IU gets urban Meyer but that’s what they need.  Someone proven, maybe has some baggage so isn’t at the top level anymore, but would be an instant injection of hype.  Not sure that person is even out there that IU could get but that’s really what they need.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Going up against the talent and depth of Michigan isn't going to be good for most teams. Build off that 1st quarter look.

Must win next week. Still a path to 6 but the margin of error is zero now.

Thank you 6! That’s about all we can get out of this game.

-Build on the first quarter

-OL and play calling looked better 

- Carey looked much better than Bell. 
- We were able to run a little (early on)

• Like 3

In regards to the talent gap… The announcers today commented that with NIL and the portal, programs like IU’s are going to have their best players poached by better teams. Mentioned Barner and McCullough as two examples. I don’t know how to change that dynamic without rolling up the Brinks truck 

Edited by Steubenhoosier
  • Like 4

58 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Besides some of the first quarter I didn't see any difference in the offense

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

While I would love a young up and coming OC as head coach the BIG is just gonna get crazy next year with more talented teams and coaches.  They need a dion type and throw the bank at him.  No way IU gets urban Meyer but that’s what they need.  Someone proven, maybe has some baggage so isn’t at the top level anymore, but would be an instant injection of hype.  Not sure that person is even out there that IU could get but that’s really what they need.

Purdue got one of those coaches and he left. We need a Unicorn. Someone that calls Indiana home and can coach and recruit at an elite level. Not sure it is out there. I don’t think we have an alum like Woody on the football side. I know Randel-El is in coaching but have no clue if he can be a head coach.

3 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

I don’t take away too much from first couple drives of a game. Most coaches can game script the first few series and if the opponent comes out flat because everyone looks past IU then that really doesn’t tell me a ton.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

In regards to the talent gap… The announcers today commented that with NIL and the portal, programs like IU’s are going to have their best players poached by better teams. Mentioned Barner and McCullough as two examples. I don’t know how to change that dynamic without rolling up the Brinks truck 

No worries….we will have our pick of MAC players….maybe we can get that QB from Akron that lit us up.

Head coach.  Be a strong leader who can take the reins with a strong voice and take command.  Set up high quality assistant coaches who can scheme and teach.  Be a tireless recruiter who can close and sell.  Someone who can take command of NIL and elevate it.   It’s a CEO, leadership, and command/knowledge position.  I don’t know that we need to look inside the family or just grab the nearest assistant.  Search far and wide and get someone who checks all those boxes.  

I don’t want to hire somebody just because they were here.  Kevin Wilson had demons but that’s the prototype of a hire that can work.   

I don’t know that I want a guy who hasn’t seen NIL and recruiting thriving somewhere where he knows what that needs to be and how to get it to work.  We need that installed and expanded.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Head coach.  Be a strong leader who can take the reins with a strong voice and take command.  Set up high quality assistant coaches who can scheme and teach.  Be a tireless recruiter who can close and sell.  Someone who can take command of NIL and elevate it.   It’s a CEO, leadership, and command/knowledge position.  I don’t know that we need to look inside the family or just grab the nearest assistant.  Search far and wide and get someone who checks all those boxes.  

I don’t want to hire somebody just because they were here.  Kevin Wilson had demons but that’s the prototype of a hire that can work.   

I don’t know that I want a guy who hasn’t seen NIL and recruiting thriving somewhere where he knows what that needs to be and how to get it to work.  We need that installed and expanded.  

Kansas football found a coach from a non Power 5 program. Surely there is another guy like that who would jump at the chance to coach in the B1G

• Thanks 1

I hate to start throwing names out there, but right now both Oregon St and Washington St are in the top 25 and both are about to be homeless as far as conference affiliation. Maybe those coaches don’t want to not be coaching in a power four. Maybe some of those players would follow. I really hate thinking that way because I really like Tom Allen the man. It just feels at times like certain conclusions are inevitable. 

• Like 3

I just think we need to pick one QB and go with that player. We can't get any rhythm on offense by changing the QB's ever couple of possessions. Also I think we try to play to many WR is the game as well. To me there is no need to try to play 5 or 6 different receivers in the game. Pick you best 3 and keep them in the field as much as possible.

2 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I hate to start throwing names out there, but right now both Oregon St and Washington St are in the top 25 and both are about to be homeless as far as conference affiliation. Maybe those coaches don’t want to not be coaching in a power four. Maybe some of those players would follow. I really hate thinking that way because I really like Tom Allen the man. It just feels at times like certain conclusions are inevitable. 

I don't know TA the man, I just know he's been the HC for IUFB for a while and they are worse off now then when he started. The goal is the opposite. So it's time to go. 

Edited by OGIUAndy