Consequences

OLDIUFAN

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

At least at my school and when I was in school we had a lot more breaks during the day. That made it easier to stay in our desk and listen to the teacher. We had 3 recesses and a lunch break. Also we had gym class so that was more activity time

Kids also ate a tiny tiny portion of the sugar and processed foods that they do now, got tons more exercise at home if not worked and did chores, and no one sit in front of a TV/video game screen for hours on end. Kids went to bed exhausted because they were active and in fact teachers had more trouble keeping them awake more than sitting still in my experience.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

No, it’s grossly one-sided. If Allen left before 11/30/23, he’d owe IU $4M. Next year it falls to $3M. Dolson got played. 

Brohm’s last contract at Purdue was similar with regards to a much smaller buyout if he left versus getting fired. 

Pretty standard for coaches who have options. 

Edited by Boiler Sam

50 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

Brohm’s last contract at Purdue was similar with regards to a much smaller buyout if he left versus getting fired. 

Pretty standard for coaches who have options. 

Difference being Brohm was using Purdue as a stepping stone and everyone knew it. They always knew UL would continue to come calling and they had much deeper pockets. Allen on the other hand was basically in his dream job…no place to go.

13 hours ago, dgambill said:

Kids also ate a tiny tiny portion of the sugar and processed foods that they do now, got tons more exercise at home if not worked and did chores, and no one sit in front of a TV/video game screen for hours on end. Kids went to bed exhausted because they were active and in fact teachers had more trouble keeping them awake more than sitting still in my experience.

married to a nutritionist and I will die on this hill: sugar and processed foods are worse than anything else.  

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

married to a nutritionist and I will die on this hill: sugar and processed foods are worse than anything else.  

Sleep is probably more important than anything. Too little, too much, or bad quality greatly impacts people's health. Those who "sleep when they die" die much earlier than people who get the recommended hours sleep. People don't take sleep as seriously as they should. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dgambill said:

Difference being Brohm was using Purdue as a stepping stone and everyone knew it. They always knew UL would continue to come calling and they had much deeper pockets. Allen on the other hand was basically in his dream job…no place to go.

Allen was mentioned with some SEC jobs also, IIRC. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Correct. He was actually a somewhat hot name. SEC connections from Ole Miss, plus the tag of "if he can win at Indiana..." 

I don't really believe this was true though. Nobody is scooping up Indiana's coach after a year or two unless they go undefeated in a non covid season. You'd have to be super desperate. 

4 hours ago, Boiler Sam said:

Allen was mentioned with some SEC jobs also, IIRC. 

I’ve lived in SEC country now longer than I’ve lived in Indiana…he would have not have made it through the donor approval process though…even if an AD or two floated the name there is no doubt a stink would have been made shortly after. The pedigree even through the Covid season is not there.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Somehow, IU needs to find their Barry Alvarez. Prior to his arrival, WI had one bowl win in their history (Independence Bowl). In the six years before he arrived, they had seven B1G wins. 

I lived in Madison and went to the game where Anthony Thompson ran for over 340 yards v Bucky. Camp Randall was 2/3rds empty. I was there the first year they went to the Rose Bowl. 2/3rds of the city was in Pasadena, ticket or no ticket.

Yes, it can be done!

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Somehow, IU needs to find their Barry Alvarez. Prior to his arrival, WI had one bowl win in their history (Independence Bowl). In the six years before he arrived, they had seven B1G wins. 

I've always thought Bill Mallory should have been our Barry Alvarez. What if money was pumped into the football program to upgrade facilities and such around 1987-1988? Took way to long for any investment in the infrastructure of IU football to occur. 

1 hour ago, Common Sense said:

Yep, mentioned on Alabama boards once Saban retired IF Allen continued success.  

Mentioned on fan boards is A LOT different than being mentioned by ADs and donors. CTA just had no proven history to take over an historical good program, let's get real here. Maybe after 5 or so 9+ wins seasons would he be mentioned for a real top notch job. 

Wow! I’m not qualified to answer this,but is it coaching or lack of talent? Our receivers don’t seem to be road  burners that can get open deep. Our QBs either one of them can’t seem to hit mid range passes in stride. The run game has shown a little improvement. The Defense just spends too much time on field. So what is it poor coaching or poor recruiting. 

On 10/20/2023 at 9:36 PM, bronkonagurski said:

I've always thought Bill Mallory should have been our Barry Alvarez. What if money was pumped into the football program to upgrade facilities and such around 1987-1988? Took way to long for any investment in the infrastructure of IU football to occur. 

Mallory or possibly Terry Hoeppner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OLDIUFAN said:

Wow! I’m not qualified to answer this,but is it coaching or lack of talent? Our receivers don’t seem to be road  burners that can get open deep. Our QBs either one of them can’t seem to hit mid range passes in stride. The run game has shown a little improvement. The Defense just spends too much time on field. So what is it poor coaching or poor recruiting. 

Coaching.  

Just now, Hoosierinbham said:

Anyone else think the Justin Fuente hire as an "offensive analyst" was insurance in case CTA is fired during the season?  Carey could easily slide to interim HC and Fuente to OC. Carey will have great insight regarding the entire football program to help evaluate for a coaching search.

No.  That’s an Allen hire not a Dolson hire.  Everyone has hired analysts.

• Like 1