Consequences

OLDIUFAN

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Which is a far cry from your original suggestion of Dabo.

Personally, I'd like to hire the guy who has had huge success as a non-Power 5 HC. If Kansas could do it with Leipold, there has to be another guy similar to him who could do the same in Bloomington.

My original suggestion is the greatest pipe dream, that actually could be available by end of next year at current trajectory.   

34 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Find the most arrogant up and coming offensive coordinator on the face of the earth regardless of level, age, or experience.  

Clearly someone up to the challenge with a watch me attitude.   

Not sure if Tommy Rees has enough of a track record, but could be worth a look. Honestly don't know much about him, but he would have experience at winning programs.

Just now, Hoosierinbham said:

Not sure if Tommy Rees has enough of a track record, but could be worth a look. Honestly don't know much about him, but he would have experience at winning programs.

He left the OC position at Notre Dame where he played, for the same position at Bama. Looks like he is trying to move himself up the food chain. That would concern me, because a lot of guys like him would be using IU as a stepping stone to something better. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Definitely one to keep an eye on.  Going from a top paying sec of Coordinator pay to head coach of any sec/B1G coach is still going to be about a 4 million dollar per year jump.  A lot of guys would say yes to that type of pay bump.  

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

He left the OC position at Notre Dame where he played, for the same position at Bama. Looks like he is trying to move himself up the food chain. That would concern me, because a lot of guys like him would be using IU as a stepping stone to something better. 

If he's arrogant enough to come here and try to use IU as a stepping stone, then we have found our guy.  

28 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Being a stepping stone doesn't bother me about Rees.  His ability to run offenses does.  That being said, he would be a good hire imo.  But at this point everyone is good hire compared to Tom Allen.

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Either actually contribute or just skip it.  

Here is my contribution.

This is the general idea(s) of the thread currently that are leaving me confused.

fire CTA, but we dont have an idea of a replacement. Names mentioned are out there....Dabo? 🤣

Fire CTA now, but wait a couple of years for someone.

move CTA down to DC

"we" want a proven P5 coach with a history of winning and experience. There are maybe 30 of those out there, and none of them would come to IU.

Edited by ledies22
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ledies22 said:

Here is my contribution.

This is the general idea(s) of the thread currently that are leaving me confused.

fire CTA, but we dont have an idea of a replacement. Names mentioned are out there....Dabo? 🤣

Fire CTA now, but wait a couple of years for someone.

move CTA down to DC

"we" want a proven P5 coach with a history of winning and experience. There are maybe 30 of those out there, and none of them would come to IU.

All very confusing, unrealistic,  and very much theoretical.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

How are we flush with money and when did the athletic department give the geology dept $26M? 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2019/06/19/indiana-university-using-big-ten-network-money-more-than-just-athletics/1357099001/

And the contract has only got richer.  There's only so many times you can remodel a weight room, etc.  

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/2023/07/26/big-ten-football-readies-for-tv-deal-with-nbc-cbs-fox/70471706007/

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

All very confusing, unrealistic,  and very much theoretical.  

the toughest part about this is that IU football is not and has not been prominent. IU would be a tough final destination sell even for an IU guy, I would think. The second part of that is.... there isnt one.

IU will need to take a flyer on someone, or if they want to go for proven winner with experience, someone a bit tainted like Pat Fitzgerald. Art Briles is a bit too much for me. But the latter seems to be an obstacle in itself considering IU usually likes the higher ground of being a figure of ethics and morals.

8 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

the toughest part about this is that IU football is not and has not been prominent. IU would be a tough final destination sell even for an IU guy, I would think. The second part of that is.... there isnt one.

IU will need to take a flyer on someone, or if they want to go for proven winner with experience, someone a bit tainted like Pat Fitzgerald. Art Briles is a bit too much for me. But the latter seems to be an obstacle in itself considering IU usually likes the higher ground of being a figure of ethics and morals.

Yep.  Probably a no go.  

If IU wants to take the moral high ground, remove Kinsey's name from all IU records and buildings and start from there.  Until then we have a more gross stain than MSU and Penn st.  

I don't know who we will get, I just don't believe money for a coach's contract is the #1 problem.   Like you said, basically zero foundation has been laid.  That's why in my opinion,  you figure out who is the most arrogant young son of a gun out there.  

• Like 1

On 10/24/2023 at 1:18 PM, NotIThatLives said:

Yep.  Probably a no go.  

If IU wants to take the moral high ground, remove Kinsey's name from all IU records and buildings and start from there.  Until then we have a more gross stain than MSU and Penn st.  

I don't know who we will get, I just don't believe money for a coach's contract is the #1 problem.   Like you said, basically zero foundation has been laid.  That's why in my opinion,  you figure out who is the most arrogant young son of a gun out there.  

No kidding. And Tom Allen has the second highest win % (after Bill Mallory) of any IU coach in the last 75 years. 

34 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

No kidding. And Tom Allen has the second highest win % (after Bill Mallory) of any IU coach in the last 75 years. 

You start with what you inherit.  The next coach will be staring at the third worst power 5 team in the country.  2 steps forward followed by 3 steps back is still backwards.   But like I said.  If Duke and Northwestern can field top 25 teams from time to time, so can we.  Keep us in the top 75 in the down years and out of the 100s.  You don't  agree?

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

You start with what you inherit.  The next coach will be staring at the third worst power 5 team in the country.  2 steps forward followed by 3 steps back is still backwards.   But like I said.  If Duke and Northwestern can field top 25 teams from time to time, so can we.  Keep us in the top 75 in the down years and out of the 100s.  You don't  agree?

Oh I agree. It’s just always such a deep hole to climb out with IU FB and it’s only getting worse with the B1G expansion. 

One problem IU has had in my opinion is its Big Ten Scheduling. Getting beaten up by Ohio St. Penn St. Michigan, an at one point Michigan St. took its physical toll on Indiana. 
going thought that gauntlet of teams, had us banged up when it came time to play some of the teams we would have the ability to beat! 
it’s life in the big ten East, but others like Maryland an Rutgers have improved their teams! 
We are at the bottom of the East again! We are back in the Bill Lynch ERA. Talent pool way below what we need to complete in Big Ten.I Just waiting for someone to pull another Wisconsin beat down on us to totally humiliate the program.