Consequences

OLDIUFAN

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

He owes 10 mins of line walking at recess. 

I must be too old.  I don't know what 'line walking' is.  

Not that I ever got into trouble at school... cough, cough... but the punishments in my day were detention, a swat with a paddle,  writing some I'm sorry for what I did spiel 200 times, etc.

What, exactly is 'line walking'?

Edited by 5fouls

17 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not that I ever got into trouble at school... cough, cough... but the punishments in my day were detention, a swat with a paddle,  writing some I'm sorry for what I did spiel 200 times, etc.

Your teachers had archaic ways to discipline, and so did mine. NEVER TAKE THEIR RECESS, in the sense that they HAVE TO HAVE activity, they also HAVE TO HAVE consequences. 

But.. line walking-- if you have recess near a parking lot, the student in trouble would walk on the lines of the parking lot for ten mins or whatever. The painted lines. Some elementary schools have a painted line kids walk on/around during recess that was literally painted there for the purpose of kids at recess to use. 

Another way of doing this... some schools have walking paths around their schools of some sort, I have been at a school that used their walking path as a punishment, as well. 

Push-ups, sit-ups, and air squats are what I use at the high school now. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OLDIUFAN said:

So what’s the consequence for the AD that’s got us in this mess! Is he forgiven because we get so much TV money we’re staying financially afloat in football? So no one in the administration cares! 

I have seen comments about firing Dolsen on several sites by IU "fans." Isn't this the same guy who hired CMW? And extended WWBHCTM?

Yes, football needs to be addressed. But it appears he hit a home run with basketball.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OLDIUFAN said:

So what’s the consequence for the AD that’s got us in this mess! Is he forgiven because we get so much TV money we’re staying financially afloat in football? So no one in the administration cares! 

More than financially afloat (see below). Dolson gave CTA an extension after probably the best season in IU football history. definitely in the last 40 years. Most of us would have been baffled if it didnt happen. He also single handedly brought in not only CMW, but put the system in place to help with the change (Thad Mata). Teri Moran extension.... yes, he swung and missed on 1, but lets forget about all of the other programs that seem to be flourishing with the re-commitment to IU athletics.

undefined

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I got a paddle with a fiber glass paddle with holes in it by a first year principal 

47 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Your teachers had archaic ways to discipline, and so did mine. NEVER TAKE THEIR RECESS, in the sense that they HAVE TO HAVE activity, they also HAVE TO HAVE consequences. 

But.. line walking-- if you have recess near a parking lot, the student in trouble would walk on the lines of the parking lot for ten mins or whatever. The painted lines. Some elementary schools have a painted line kids walk on/around during recess that was literally painted there for the purpose of kids at recess to use. 

Another way of doing this... some schools have walking paths around their schools of some sort, I have been at a school that used their walking path as a punishment, as well. 

Push-ups, sit-ups, and air squats are what I use at the high school now. 

I know back when I had recess if we got in trouble we had to stand against the wall whilst we watched everyone else play. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I have seen comments about firing Dolsen on several sites by IU "fans." Isn't this the same guy who hired CMW? And extended WWBHCTM?

Yes, football needs to be addressed. But it appears he hit a home run with basketball.

I think what people question is not the extension, but the buyout. Because of the lack of sustained success by any head coach at IU, a buyout that large seems pretty outrageous for a head coach who had zero head coaching history. I was for the extension, that buyout is nuts. It should be half.

3 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I think what people question is not the extension, but the buyout. Because of the lack of sustained success by any head coach at IU, a buyout that large seems pretty outrageous for a head coach who had zero head coaching history. I was for the extension, that buyout is nuts. It should be half.

i will be the first to admit that i am a dummy sometimes. 

But doesn't that work both ways? Like if another program were to try to poach CTA, they would have to foot the buy out? If that is the case, that would be a deterrent for poaching. I think everyone and their mother was all in on CTA after the covid season. i dont think anyone saw this big of a let down happening. But also we are in this big of a let down because of that season. Without it, this would be the run of the mill since the 80's and no one would care regardless.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Yes, I couldn’t agree more. It seems to me that lack of performance would be grounds for dismissal! I would agree you couldn’t fire him after a one year drop off, but several in a row years! To said we would end his job without reason is crazy! 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I got a paddle with a fiber glass paddle with holes in it by a first year principal 

I got detentions and writing sentences, but never a paddle.  There was this one teacher who I always wished she would spank me, but that's a different topic altogether. 

Edited by 5fouls
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, OLDIUFAN said:

Looking at all the other sports I would say the AD is doing a fine job.  It just so happened that he got caught up in the LEO hype just like everyone else and signed the wrong coach to a bad contract.  We aren't the 1st school this has happened to.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Ummm what? Yes they did.  

At least at my school and when I was in school we had a lot more breaks during the day. That made it easier to stay in our desk and listen to the teacher. We had 3 recesses and a lunch break. Also we had gym class so that was more activity time

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ledies22 said:

i will be the first to admit that i am a dummy sometimes. 

But doesn't that work both ways? Like if another program were to try to poach CTA, they would have to foot the buy out? If that is the case, that would be a deterrent for poaching. I think everyone and their mother was all in on CTA after the covid season. i dont think anyone saw this big of a let down happening. But also we are in this big of a let down because of that season. Without it, this would be the run of the mill since the 80's and no one would care regardless.

No, it’s grossly one-sided. If Allen left before 11/30/23, he’d owe IU $4M. Next year it falls to $3M. Dolson got played. 

35 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

Correct me if I’m wrong , but one thing that I think gets forgotten was after that successful Covid shorten year we lost out OC and our DC. Both nerve got replaced by competent coach! Wouldn’t the AD be involved with the hiring of those coaches. 

Probably only from a budgetary standpoint. The head coach should be able to pick their assistants

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

Ummm what? Yes they did.  

Never saw it when I was in school….🤷‍♂️ They weren’t on adderall and I never had problem classmates. But maybe that’s just anecdotal. My mother in law taught for over 40 years but said the kids changed drastically at the end. Again just anecdotal.

Edited by dgambill