Consequences

OLDIUFAN

I would love nothing more than for CTA to right the ship bit I'd actually prefer he be a man and step down and accept a different position within the program or athletic department.   I believe he is an asset but in over his head.  

Some of yall are floating Art Briles which is a hard no and we know that.  Dabo Sweeney may be on the chopping block if he can't get ahold of this team in the next 12 months.  

Would you be willing to ride out CTA one more year for a legitimate 50/50 shot at Dabo next December?

13 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I would love nothing more than for CTA to right the ship bit I'd actually prefer he be a man and step down and accept a different position within the program or athletic department.   I believe he is an asset but in over his head.  

Some of yall are floating Art Briles which is a hard no and we know that.  Dabo Sweeney may be on the chopping block if he can't get ahold of this team in the next 12 months.  

Would you be willing to ride out CTA one more year for a legitimate 50/50 shot at Dabo next December?

In your scenario, yes I would wait it out. That being said, there is no chance that Dabo would want to come to a program like ours. He will have multiple suitors lined up from programs with much better history, facilities and support.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

In your scenario, yes I would wait it out. That being said, there is no chance that Dabo would want to come to a program like ours. He will have multiple suitors lined up from programs with much better history, facilities and support.

Dabo would spend a year or two rehab coaching for Saban, then take over Bama in my opinion. They love him here.

48 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

In a perfect world,  CTA rights the ship. Not likely. With our current program trajectory,  the next ideal is he moves to DC, where he is best suited, and we bring in a brilliant  offensive guy as head coach. Unfortunately,  I don't see either of those happening. CTA seems like a great guy that loves the program, but we probably need a complete overhaul.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

I would argue that Dabo Sweeney is Tom Allen with a lot more resources at his disposal.

6 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

In a perfect world,  CTA rights the ship. Not likely. With our current program trajectory,  the next ideal is he moves to DC, where he is best suited, and we bring in a brilliant  offensive guy as head coach. Unfortunately,  I don't see either of those happening. CTA seems like a great guy that loves the program, but we probably need a complete overhaul.

Pun intended, this ship has sailed. The captain could not right the ship and he's been given 2-3 seasons to show that he was up to the job. I gave him the benefit of the doubt in 2021. But these past two seasons show he isn't capable of turning it around. If you watch this IU team, they don't have an identity.  Not good on offense, defense or specials teams.  Rutgers just ran the ball down their throat.  It was like Rutgers was 2005 Wisconsin.  Allen is a D guy and he lets a bottom tier Big Ten team do that.  Not acceptable. They are getting man handled by the worst teams in the league.  I'm not sure what happen after 2020, but there's no more letting CTA figure it out. Good man does not equal a good head football coach. 

4 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Pun intended, this ship has sailed. The captain could not right the ship and he's been given 2-3 seasons to show that he was up to the job. I gave him the benefit of the doubt in 2021. But these past two seasons show he isn't capable of turning it around. If you watch this IU team, they don't have an identity.  Not good on offense, defense or specials teams.  Rutgers just ran the ball down their throat.  It was like Rutgers was 2005 Wisconsin.  Allen is a D guy and he lets a bottom tier Big Ten team do that.  Not acceptable. They are getting man handled by the worst teams in the league.  I'm not sure what happen after 2020, but there's no more letting CTA figure it out. Good man does not equal a good head football coach. 

Solid pun work!  We're in agreement on WHAT needs to be done. It's the WHEN and HOW that are in question. I really hope Dolson is gathering financial pledges to make a huge hire and commit funds for facility upgrades. We'll see.

Hey, if CTA would be interested in downgrading to DCTA again to make room for a legit hire (if there's even a remote possibility that that's possible), bring it on. In fact, I'd take him as DC even without the "legit" hire. It just seems rather like a fantasy, though, that anyone involved would be comfortable with that. If there's another appropriate position surrounding the athletic program or football program, I'd take him. It's just not working with him as THE GUY. 

Edited by D-BONE
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Solid pun work!  We're in agreement on WHAT needs to be done. It's the WHEN and HOW that are in question. I really hope Dolson is gathering financial pledges to make a huge hire and commit funds for facility upgrades. We'll see.

According to TOS it seems things might already be in motion to some degree, FWIW. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Chris has been wrong a lot so I wouldn't put anything into his post 

He's definitely been hit or miss with some recruiting info, but his info for stuff like this seems more dialed in. I recall he was the first to talk about Woody and Fife not getting along. 

Edited by OGIUAndy

23 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

There are only so many B1G jobs.  We may not get a Dabo but we really need to shoot for the stars.  The athletic department had so much money left over they gave the geology department 26 million.  I think we could actually afford Belichick if he would come.  Transitioning out of CTA buyout and into the next guy is going to be interesting.  I've said, keep CTA around as athletic department community and culture ambassador.   I have a buddy on the fire department that played for him in high school that talks about CTA with tears in his eyes about how he loves CTA and he knows CTA loves him.  Maybe he can be the highest paid chaplain on earth and stretch the rest of his salary out until he's 103.  

But money for the new coach isn't an issue.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Then I'd like to hire him after 2-3 years of showing out at USC.  

Like I said.  The department is flush with money.  It's the buyout they have to navigate.   

I get that they have money....but so do other programs that are much more attractive than ours. Attracting a high level coach is going to do less with the paycheck, and more with whether the coach thinks he can win. I just don't see IU competing for the best coaches with little to no history of success. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I get that they have money....but so do other programs that are much more attractive than ours. Attracting a high level coach is going to do less with the paycheck, and more with whether the coach thinks he can win. I just don't see IU competing for the best coaches with little to no history of success. 

Find the most arrogant up and coming offensive coordinator on the face of the earth regardless of level, age, or experience.  

Clearly someone up to the challenge with a watch me attitude.   

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

With conference realignment basically creating the Big 2 conferences (B1G & SEC), it will be interesting to see if a top coach from one of the lesser conferences makes a jump. Dabo would seem to be more of a SEC guy (Bama), but who knows. Utah's coach would be a homerun for someone. 

Yep.  Like Lane Kiffin(prime example of grabbing a Coordinator before he becomes the hottest commodity on the market) few years ago.  Clearly offensively talented, a little immature.  Arrogant as he is talented.  Goes to one of the worst programs in the sec and has them consistently in the top 20ish.  

Why is Duke able to be good but IU can't?  Same as why is Northwestern able to be decent but IU can't?

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Find the most arrogant up and coming offensive coordinator on the face of the earth regardless of level, age, or experience.  

Clearly someone up to the challenge with a watch me attitude.   

Which is a far cry from your original suggestion of Dabo.

Personally, I'd like to hire the guy who has had huge success as a non-Power 5 HC. If Kansas could do it with Leipold, there has to be another guy similar to him who could do the same in Bloomington.