IUBB '24/‘25

DC2345

4 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

We are stuck in a ditch where we desperately need guards but are so unattractive for potential guard recruits/transfers. 
Ware will likely leave and we’ll probably add Queen, leading to a couple more years of two bigs clogging the paint (Queen and Reneau) 

Thankfully JHS was recruited when the coaching staff could still sell “the vision” and there wasn’t three years of tape as evidence. 

Sounds like Purdue fans….Edey clogs the paint 🥱 

You think Loyer gets to the rim without Edey setting a high screen or holding 1 or 2 defenders?

If you run some motion or Spain, Horns, Zoom….anything to make the defense switch or make quick decisions….get in a rotation 

MR in the high post like Nebraska ran?

He’s the best passing big in conference?

9 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Sounds like Purdue fans….Edey clogs the paint 🥱 

You think Loyer gets to the rim without Edey setting a high screen or holding 1 or 2 defenders?

If you run some motion or Spain, Horns, Zoom….anything to make the defense switch or make quick decisions….get in a rotation 

MR in the high post like Nebraska ran?

He’s the best passing big in conference?

The problem is we don’t do that stuff consistently enough. Playing bigs doesn’t have to clog the paint, it’s a choice by the coaching staff.

I will always want multiple highly skilled, talented bigs on the roster. Probably the three best basketball players on the planet right now fit that description but I wouldn’t say any of them clog the paint. As good as Jokic, Giannis, and Embiid are their teams offenses wouldn’t look elite if they just played back to the basket and clogged the paint all the time. 

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

IU's 3 point defense according to @The Daily Hoosier

A growing red flag? In games 1-3, FGCU, Army and Wright St. shot 38%, 34% and 42% from three and made 13, 13 and 11, respectively. 

CMW talks like this year is an anomaly. They are worse (34.9%), but they allowed 33.4% last year and 33.0% the prior year, which was 138th and 134th in the country. They were 9th in the B1G last year, so it isn't like they've been a strong perimeter defensive team before. 

As much as people destroyed CAM for the pack line's failures against the three, his last three teams allowed 33.1%, 32.2% and 33.4%. That isn't good, but it isn't worse than CMW's best years.  

“We’re playing teams that are making threes."

SMH

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

A growing red flag? In games 1-3, FGCU, Army and Wright St. shot 38%, 34% and 42% from three and made 13, 13 and 11, respectively. 

CMW talks like this year is an anomaly. They are worse (34.9%), but they allowed 33.4% last year and 33.0% the prior year, which was 138th and 134th in the country. They were 9th in the B1G last year, so it isn't like they've been a strong perimeter defensive team before. 

As much as people destroyed CAM for the pack line's failures against the three, his last three teams allowed 33.1%, 32.2% and 33.4%. That isn't good, but it isn't worse than CMW's best years.  

“We’re playing teams that are making threes."

SMH

I mean the stats you’re citing are pretty drastically different from the last 2 years, so it kind of is a new issue this year. They weren’t elite or anything, but those percentages are fine when you have a top 20 2 point defense - which we did the previous 2 years.

Fwiw, when you look at conference games only, we were top 4 in three point % against in each of the last 2 years.

Agreed that this has been an issue since day 1 this year though.

16 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Holy cow, I think I need to start preparing the scouting reports. This is who Tomanaga is. He's a career 37% three point shooter who really feeds off the crowd. Dude has very deep range. Woodson doesn't even know his hame. He's a two year starter who's their leading scorer and was second last year. The first item on any scouting report for Nebraska is to contain Tomanaga and don't let him get rolling (and score 28 as he did). They feed off of his energy. 

"Well, we ain't trying to give up anything. I mean, the threes that they made, I thought half of them were some tough ones,'' Woodson said Friday. "The little (Nebraska) guard (Keisei Tominaga), he made about three of them that were really deep, deep threes. I recall the one where Malik (Reneau) switched out and then Malik left him, and he just pulled up and made it. 

• Like 1

Someone finally asked CMW about the guys leaving shooters to drift into the lane. The answer didnt make anyone feel better about it.. Said it's a lot of guys doing that but mostly young guys and he knows it works because it worked last year with veteran players. Said they need to keeo working at it.

We know they need to keep working on a lot of things but in the meantime I guess they will keep getting lit up outside.

He also mentioned the lack of communication. This has been mentioned several times this season. It's irritating at this point. A player may not be able to shoot, dribble, jump or run fast but there's no excuse for not communicating. The coaches cannot allow that to continue. And the captains shouldn't accept it either. This may be the biggest insult to the fans.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

Someone finally asked CMW about the guys leaving shooters to drift into the lane. The answer didnt make anyone feel better about it.. Said it's a lot of guys doing that but mostly young guys and he knows it works because it worked last year with veteran players. Said they need to keeo working at it.

We know they need to keep working on a lot of things but in the meantime I guess they will keep getting lit up outside.

He also mentioned the lack of communication. This has been mentioned several times this season. It's irritating at this point. A player may not be able to shoot, dribble, jump or run fast but there's no excuse for not communicating. The coaches cannot allow that to continue. And the captains shouldn't accept it either. This may be the biggest insult to the fans.

Incompetence at it's best!

3 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

Exactly…this is all schematic. It won’t change. Woodson is somehow convinced this gives us the best opportunity to win games, despite continuously being brutalized behind the 3 point line game in and game out. You would think a 7’ shot block machine rim protector would cause CMW to think twice.

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

If we hold Ohio State to 37.8% it’ll be just a touch below their season average from three.

In a matchup of clear strengths on offense, Ohio State does pretty well defensively against ours and we don’t defend their strength well. We are going to need a really strong effort from everyone to pull this out IMO. 

8 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

If we hold Ohio State to 37.8% it’ll be just a touch below their season average from three.

In a matchup of clear strengths on offense, Ohio State does pretty well defensively against ours and we don’t defend their strength well. We are going to need a really strong effort from everyone to pull this out IMO. 

Hoping IU gets the customary home cooking you get in the B1G. If so, OSU won't be able to body all over the court like Nebraska just did and IU won't have to have players create their own shot, which they are not good at most of the time.

27 minutes ago, BGleas said:

We've been shooting the ball really well lately. Hoping to see more. 

16.9 attempts per game would still just be 332 in the nation. 

We have shooters, we don't get them the ball.  Reneau had a good game yesterday (well there was that rebounding thing....) but there were several occasions where he had a wide open shooter behind the arc on, his side of the court, that he looked away from and chose to drive into 2 or 3 defenders instead.

It is difficult because he is a pretty gifted offensive player and Ware is a talent as well.  However, I think they sometimes get to forcing things too much instead of trusting their teammates.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

We have shooters, we don't get them the ball.  Reneau had a good game yesterday (well there was that rebounding thing....) but there were several occasions where he had a wide open shooter behind the arc on, his side of the court, that he looked away from and chose to drive into 2 or 3 defenders instead.

It is difficult because he is a pretty gifted offensive player and Ware is a talent as well.  However, I think they sometimes get to forcing things too much instead of trusting their teammates.

Yeah, we agree on Reneau. The next step in his progression is becoming a better playmaker/facilitator. 

I understand his assists per game are solid, but he also has a really high usage rate. 

He often seems very reluctant to kick it out when there are shooters wide open and in rhythm. 

If he's back next year and can learn that skill, the sky is the limit for him. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I think this needs to be drilled home to Malik by the coaches. Make a move or pass quickly. He forces way too many shots into double and triple teams.  Our guys need to also let those open looks from 3 fly.  We still pass up way too many good looks.

• Like 1