Your key to this season?

Your key to this season? Provide your top 2 or 3 factors in the comments  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most important factor for a successful season this year?

• Woodson's coaching- getting new faces to come together
    • Ware answering the questions about his motor and being a dependable presence down low
    • Mgbako providing adequate D and becoming a go to scorer
    • 3 point shooting finally becoming a team asset
    • Gunn and Banks making a leap and becoming key rotation players
    • Sparks and Walker surprising and providing reliable depth down low
    • Becoming a top 25 defensive team

19 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Banks and Gunn. We need depth, real depth. 

Banks developing would be huge. It's not that I don't like our bigs, but imagine a Ware, Banks, Mgbako, Galloway, XJ lineup?

Just super long, athletic and skilled. We'd need shooting development from all of them, but geez what an athletic group on both ends. 

Not saying the roster is constructed for it this year necessarily, but that's more like how I'd like to see IU play. 

• Like 4

I chose Top 25 Defense simply because it's a cheat answer that covers several other choices. An elevated defense likely supposes that the team has bought in and is willing to do what CMW wants. It assumes that he knows how to coach at an elite level. It presumes the effort and motor of Ware, the ability of Sparks, the growth of Banks, and the added experience of Walker...

But most of all it's an effort metric. It's something the team can control night in and night out. We're not always going to have good shooting nights; sometimes it's hard to throw the ball in the ocean. But knowing how to play proper, effective defense means our players are locked in -- and that gives us a chance to be solid.

• Like 3

I selected the 3 point shooting but would expand that to include all shooting, especially free throws. 
Being able to score points in bunches can cover a myriad of shortcomings— look at Penn State last season.

Being able to score points with the clock stopped or in close games is crucial.  Free throws are basically gimme points and we have given away too many in recent years.

Edited by Steubenhoosier
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I don't doubt Woody's ability to coach and meld this group together at all...

But if we're a top 25 defensive team, whoa... Sky's the limit... 

I’ll go a step further…. because I trust Woody’s abilities I’m going to assume he can get this team to play together and have no doubts we’ll play D. I think the key is having guys knock down 3s at a higher clip than we’re used to. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I’ll go a step further…. because I trust Woody’s abilities I’m going to assume he can get this team to play together and have no doubts we’ll play D. I think the key is having guys knock down 3s at a higher clip than we’re used to. 

Yeah, we need to make more but really need to even just have more volume of 3's. We haven't been taking enough. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, we need to make more but really need to even just have more volume of 3's. We haven't been taking enough. 

This. 33% from 3 versus 40-45% from 2 wins all day.  As long as they're good shots within the flow of the offense, gotta have a green light. Situational exceptions must still be considered for time, strategy,  and if a player is in a major funk.

• Like 2

I think the biggest key to our season turning into something special is our guard play. We are one injury away from our backcourt falling apart. This means Cupps needs to be a steady backup out of the gate and Gunn and Banks need to make a good sophomore jump to bolster our ranks in the backcourt. At least that is what I see. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ButlerHoosier said:

I think the biggest key to our season turning into something special is our guard play. We are one injury away from our backcourt falling apart. This means Cupps needs to be a steady backup out of the gate and Gunn and Banks need to make a good sophomore jump to bolster our ranks in the backcourt. At least that is what I see. 

Help me remember but wasn't almost all of Banks time on the floor last year in more of the front court than the back?

40 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

So you are saying he is like Justin Smith?   😁😁😁

What's so hard to understand? He plays the same position as Geronimo, Justin Smith, OG Anunoby, Troy Williams, and Christian Watford. 

They're all wings, I mean bigs, I mean guards. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...