Jamarcus Ellis Passed away

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It has absolutely nothing to do with morality. It is just a shitty time to talk about someone’s flaws. 

The guy was a ringleader for one of the blackest spots in IU basketball history. He may very well have grown up to be an upstanding guy but his time as relevant to IU, there’s nothing redeemable about him. 

I’d have the same sentiment about most any drug dealer. This one just happened to have a big hand in wrecking a beloved basketball program. 

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The guy was a ringleader for one of the blackest spots in IU basketball history. He may very well have grown up to be an upstanding guy but his time as relevant to IU, there’s nothing redeemable about him. 

I’d have the same sentiment about most any drug dealer. This one just happened to have a big hand in wrecking a beloved basketball program. 

You quoted a post that literally only talked about him as a basketball player. It’s okay to not piss on someone’s grave. 

I've always thought that it's possible to be sorry for someone's passing without making them out to be someone they were not. He had a difficult early life and that is hard to overcome. However, that doesn't excuse what happens later. I'm sorry at his passing and feel for the pain that those close to him are feeling. Also, not at all sorry that Sampson is no longer our coach.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I've always thought that it's possible to be sorry for someone's passing without making them out to be someone they were not. He had a difficult early life and that is hard to overcome. However, that doesn't excuse what happens later. I'm sorry at his passing and feel for the pain that those close to him are feeling. Also, not at all sorry that Sampson is no longer our coach.

People say life is short. I somewhat disagree.  It can or cannot be based on you're individual life experience.

My sister lost her husband in August 2021 to the covid. Every day for her is an eternity but getting easier.

Ellis had a tough early life but ended up being a father and working in a Chicago school helping teach kids. Time changes things. 

• Like 6

On 10/28/2023 at 7:20 PM, mrflynn03 said:

People say life is short. I somewhat disagree.  It can or cannot be based on you're individual life experience.

My sister lost her husband in August 2021 to the covid. Every day for her is an eternity but getting easier.

Ellis had a tough early life but ended up being a father and working in a Chicago school helping teach kids. Time changes things. 

People need to be allowed to evolve and get better.  I am all for holding people accountable, but if they are never afforded the ability to get better and move forward, then what is the point?  He was still in his formative years at IU and, as you mentioned, appears to have grown and matured.  God help me if I am judged for the stupid mistakes and wrong decisions I made early on in life.  RIP Jamarcus.  

Edited by IUALUM03
  • Like 2

Just now, IUALUM03 said:

People need to be allowed to evolve and get better.  I am all for holding people accountable, but if they are never afforded the ability to get better and move forward, then what is the point.  He was still in his formative years at IU and, as you mentioned, appears to have grown and matured.  God help me if I am judged for the stupid mistakes and wrong decisions I made early on in life.  

Maybe not the place for this discussion, but I agree with you in general, but some things are on a different level. Kudos that he was able to overcome his shortcomings, but I also think it’s okay for an IU fan to have certain feelings about him based on his time at IU. I’m confident he knew the magnitude of what he was doing at IU. With that said, I hope he found peace later in life (sounds like he did) and hope he RIP. 

• Like 1