Michigan State Game Thread

KDB

6 minutes ago, Andy06 said:

It shouldn't have gotten to that point vs a bad team, but missed a blatant hold and PI followed by the terrible grounding call.  You're 100% right.

Ref sees holding call. Thinks: Well, just would've been another missed TFA for IU. Might as well let it play out.

• Like 1

Much better effort than last week but still same result. Yes, the missed calls were huge and had a meaningful impact on the outcome.

For those critical of the tackling, watch most games and the concept of wrapping up is a lost art, so it seems. Hitting a guy hard and hoping he gets knocked down is now the norm and I think is the byproduct of less hitting in practice and less focus on fundamentals.

The reaction of CTA at the end of the game was uncharacteristic of him and I think reflects his growing acknowledgment that he’s about to lose his job. I have rarely if ever seen him as angry as he was, especially in a game that was otherwise meaningless.

28 minutes ago, Kdug said:

Ended up further back after the grounding penalty. Feels like the was all risk no reward.

There was a lot of potential reward. Hit on the pass play after getting the 1st down, and you're in a much better position to make the FG.

Don't have an awful Intentional Grounding call and you still have a remaining timeout to run another play with 7 seconds left to get a few yards closer. 

The sequence of events that actually played out was so rare. 

19 minutes ago, BGleas said:

There was a lot of potential reward. Hit on the pass play after getting the 1st down, and you're in a much better position to make the FG.

Don't have an awful Intentional Grounding call and you still have a remaining timeout to run another play with 7 seconds left to get a few yards closer. 

The sequence of events that actually played out was so rare. 

Yet, so IUFB it's crazy. I just feel bad for the players. 

• Like 1

What this season has reinforced is we are a door mat in the East as currently constructed and mediocre at best in the West. We've played well the last 4 weeks by our standards, yet have almost nothing to show for it. And clearly won't finish close to bowl eligibility. Nothing particularly unusual, but if you're goal is to actually try to move this program toward a semblance of competitiveness then this isn't the regime. Another year of TA will simply show that yet again.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Why should 1 meaningless game in the last game of the season be the difference between keeping or losing your job.

Well, I'd be fine if they moved on regardless, but I think he had to win at least one of the last two. I'm giving him benefit of the doubt a) b/c of buyout and b) he's not any worse than anyone else we've tapped to try and revive our door mat program.