Potential HC Candidates

KDB

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

There's no way they're hiring Jon Gruden... Did y'all ever see the emails he sent?

No way... 

I was getting ready to compare two theories that have been stated in this thread.

• The President would not sign off on Pat Fitzgerald because of the hazing incident.
  • Jon Gruden is a legit candidate (despite the emails). 

There is no way a President image conscious enough to not approve Fitzgerald would sign-off on Gruden.  One, or both, of those theories has to be incorrect. 

• Like 3

Gruden isn't coaching in the NFL because he talked **** about Goodell in his e-mails. Thats it. He made one comment about 15 years ago in a private e-mail that was spun to sound racist. I don't really think he is or he wouldn't be in that profession. He got railroaded. Pat Fitzgerald was allowing players to play naked patty cake with their freshman incomers.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

What a clown show this has become! Typical IU football. 

20 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

Exactly. Given the current climate on campus, the backlash would be unimaginably immense.

I would just be shocked if a relatively new president would be willing to create that type of headache for herself. I think it’s more likely they go the 180 from Gruden and hire ARE or Hart

14 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

Gruden isn't coaching in the NFL because he talked **** about Goodell in his e-mails. Thats it. He made one comment about 15 years ago in a private e-mail that was spun to sound racist. I don't really think he is or he wouldn't be in that profession. He got railroaded. Pat Fitzgerald was allowing players to play naked patty cake with their freshman incomers.

Whatever the details with Gruden, it doesn’t matter. Perception is reality. 
From a very recent article about Gruden’s lawsuit against the NFL:

“The lawsuit, filed in November 2021, accuses the NFL and commissioner Roger Goodell of a "malicious and orchestrated campaign" to force Gruden to resign as the Raiders' head coach by leaking racist, sexist and anti-gay emails that no one disputes Gruden sent.”

it’s just toxic

• Like 1

Just now, 13th&Jackson said:

Whatever the details with Gruden, it doesn’t matter. Perception is reality. 
From a very recent article about Gruden’s lawsuit against the NFL:

“The lawsuit, filed in November 2021, accuses the NFL and commissioner Roger Goodell of a "malicious and orchestrated campaign" to force Gruden to resign as the Raiders' head coach by leaking racist, sexist and anti-gay emails that no one disputes Gruden sent.”

it’s just toxic

Yet our sitting president has made toxic racist comments in his past (publicly) and no one bats an eye. It’s amazing the hypocrisy of it all. This isn’t specific to you 13, or anyone else, but an underlining theme regarding agendas and the human psyche. How and when and with who we turn a blind eye to given different players, situations, and scenarios. Fascinating psychological human study really.  

Gruden is exactly what IUFB needs right  now. Gritty. No nonsense. High football IQ. Moxie.  Bring in the AREs and Fryes to be his successor. But he’ll out recruit and out coach any of our past leadership.  

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Yet our sitting president has made toxic racist comments in his past (publicly) and no one bats an eye. It’s amazing the hypocrisy of it all. This isn’t specific to you 13, or anyone else, but an underlining theme regarding agendas and the human psyche. How and when and with who we turn a blind eye to given different players, situations, and scenarios. Fascinating psychological human study really.  

Gruden is exactly what IUFB needs right  now. Gritty. No nonsense. High football IQ. Moxie.  Bring in the AREs and Fryes to be his successor. But he’ll out recruit and out coach any of our past leadership.  

I’m no saying I’m opposed to Gruden as a football coach. I also believe the world is full of hypocrisy and it’s unfair. I’m just saying that I’d be shocked if IU willingly wades into this situation when they have less controversial options. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I’m no saying I’m opposed to Gruden as a football coach. I also believe the world is full of hypocrisy and it’s unfair. I’m just saying that I’d be shocked if IU willingly wades into this situation when they have less controversial options. 

100% agreed my friend. I will be shocked (but elated) if IU admin were to go with Gruden. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

Yep

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

There's no way they're hiring Jon Gruden... Did y'all ever see the emails he sent?

No way... 

I suspect most fans would get behind it.  My question is what would the players say?

I loved watching him break down film with draft picks on ESPN, it was amazing to see his mind work and how he critiqued each player.

21 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I suspect most fans would get behind it.  My question is what would the players say?

I loved watching him break down film with draft picks on ESPN, it was amazing to see his mind work and how he critiqued each player.

There's no doubt he's a brilliant football mind...

But the compromising emails didn't just contain slurs... He was in a group that passed photos of topless women, including some of the Washington cheerleaders around...

We can say "boys will be boys" all we want, but I'd think something like that would be off-putting to any college president...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jojo123 said:

What a clown show this has become! Typical IU football. 

The only people making this a clown show are the Twitter people.  The school is 3 days into a coach search.  They are fine.  Everyone speculating on this or that coach and turning that into some referendum on the school are acting dumb.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

It sounds like Candle, Chryst, Frye, and Hart are each getting one. Chris over on BTB just said the same name fwiw.

Looking at this list, if it is the list, I probably would prefer Candle.

I know I crapped on the Candle pick earlier but that was more because I wanted an experienced P5 head coach.  I’m just not sure Chryst is the right guy being the only P5 coach on that list.  I will say Frye and Hart would have a solid idea of what they are walking into at IU and that has to help their chances somewhat.

9 hours ago, iuswingman said:

If we are stuck with coaches that start with C, I would still prefer candle or cignetti.

I really like Cignetti in particular.  All he does is win, which means he knows how to run an entire operation and all phases.  His record reminds me of Kalen DeBoer.  He just knows how to win.  Plus there’s an edginess and a “won’t back down” attitude.  I wish we were hearing more about a connection there.  

Candle has a lot going for him too.  Little more risk for a variety of reasons.  He’s been successful but if you look at all circumstances I like Cignetti well above Candle (famous last words that someone may quote back to me in 2029!).

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I really like Cignetti in particular.  All he does is win, which means he knows how to run an entire operation and all phases.  His record reminds me of Kalen DeBoer.  He just knows how to win.  Plus there’s an edginess and a “won’t back down” attitude.  I wish we were hearing more about a connection there.  

Candle has a lot going for him too.  Little more risk for a variety of reasons.  He’s been successful but if you look at all circumstances I like Cignetti well above Candle (famous last words that someone may quote back to me in 2029!).

If we are really giving gruden a look (willing to hire an old coach) then cignetti should be in play since age is his main downside.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

he does have ties to Indiana University of Pennsylvania. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

It sounds like Candle, Chryst, Frye, and Hart are each getting one. Chris over on BTB just said the same name fwiw.

I hope that’s not the final list by any means.  Of that group I am most interested in Candle and probably Hart.  I’ve stated my preferred names over and over so won’t keep repeating it.  Having said that, Hart doesn’t fit my perfect criteria but he’s a rising star and I think he could take command and lead.  Frye or Chryst would have a lot of questions to answer for me.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Of the rumored finalists...I am rooting for Candle or Chryst....preferably Candle. I'm disappointed that Herman is not getting interviewed (according to insiders), but he may have turned us down as well, who knows...

Candle seems like a guy we all can kind of meet in the middle on.  The concerns are he took over a good program already, and there is not a track record of handling different challenges like a guy like Cignetti has experienced and succeeded with.   I believe Candle also hasn’t coached outside of MAC level competition (maybe I’m wrong there but I know he’s been at Toledo for a very long stretch of his career).  Could be solid but remember Archie.  IU thought he could make the jump from Dayton.  For all I know, though, he’d blow me away if I talked to him so there’s only so much I can know.

But I haven’t heard anyone say they’d be angry about Candle.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1