• K. Ware
    • G. Cupps
    • CJ Gunn
    • K. Banks
    • A. Walker
    • P. Sparks
    • A. Leal

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/14/2023 at 02:58 AM

3 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I’m getting beyond frustrated with how selfish MR tends to be. Needs to learn how to kick it out instead of forcing shots. 

He makes most of his shots inside.

🤔

I looked it up.  Going into today's game, he was shooting .643 from 2.  That's not selfish.  That's helping the team win (obviously did not lead to win today, but that's not being selfish).  

He also is 2nd on the team in assists.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, 5fouls said:

🤔

I looked it up.  Going into today's game, he was shooting .643 from 2.  That's not selfish.  That's helping the team win (obviously did not lead to win today, but that's not being selfish).  

I agree especially when you're option is to pass it out of the double team to a dude shooting 13% from 3.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 5fouls said:

🤔

His shooting percentage has nothing to do with my comment. If he’s forcing and making a two while Mgbako is standing on the wing wide open, then he’s absolutely being selfish. We don’t get many wide-open looks on the perimeter, so we need to take advantage. Yesterday and many times in the last few games he’s missed wide open guys by forcing shots or being late seeing them bc he gets the ball and is determined he’s going to shoot it. 

You didn’t mention the fact that he’s leading the team in turnovers, or that he’s only shooting 14% from 3, yet shot one out of rhythm yesterday because he wasn’t getting his at the time. Is he helping us win by getting only 4.9 RB per game? This wasn’t meant to attack MR, but you said he was helping us win bc he’s shooting it well. He HAS helped us win at times, but he could be doing a lot more to help us be better. 

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 2

On 12/9/2023 at 11:26 PM, 5fouls said:

🤔

I do think we can agree though that when you're double and triple teamed, he needs to at least be looking for an open outlet before trying to power to the basket?

On 12/10/2023 at 12:26 AM, 5fouls said:

🤔

And yet his TS% is 4th on the team and his ORtg is the worst on the team with guys over 20% usage that aren't named Payton Sparks (and perhaps the fact that Sparks has a usage that high should be discussed, too).

You're correct he has a high assist rate, but he also has a high turnover rate and misses guys A LOT. He is a phenomenal interior passer, I don't think anyone disputes that, but he isn't willing to make the easy pass the majority of the time - kick outs, easy inbounds passes when we are getting pressured, etc.

Malik has probably been our second best player this year, but he isn't playing anywhere close to his potential and we need him to. If we are looking for ways to improve this season, he probably has as much left in the tank for improvement as anyone.  

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

And yet his TS% is 4th not he team and his ORtg is the worst on the team with guys over 20% usage that aren't named Payton Sparks (and perhaps the fact that Sparks has a usage that high should be discussed, too).

You're correct he has a high assist rate, but he also has a high turnover rate and misses guys A LOT. He is a phenomenal interior passer, I don't think anyone disputes that, but he isn't willing to make the easy pass the majority of the time - kick outs, easy inbounds passes when we are getting pressured, etc.

Malik has probably been our second best player this year, but he isn't playing anywhere close to his potential and we need him to. If we are looking for ways to improve this season, he probably has as much left in the tank for improvement as anyone.  

I voted for X in this poll.  :coffee:

• Haha 1

to each their own.  everyone vote for whoever you want, but i do like stats/numbers and when people vote for a guy who didn't play to make a point, in this case it will skew the final numbers a little right?  don't you guys do a formula that will wind up giving X credit for finishing 2nd in this one and knock Malik down a little instead of being 2nd?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

to each their own.  everyone vote for whoever you want, but i do like stats/numbers and when people vote for a guy who didn't play to make a point, in this case it will skew the final numbers a little right?  don't you guys do a formula that will wind up giving X credit for finishing 2nd in this one and knock Malik down a little instead of being 2nd?

Maybe @DWB can chime in on that... Personally, I'd give 2nd place to Malik for that game knowing X was a protest vote.

10 hours ago, Reacher said:

Maybe @DWB can chime in on that... Personally, I'd give 2nd place to Malik for that game knowing X was a protest vote.

Already done. Before the first game, I stated that the vote tracking would only include guys that actually played. A protest vote is fine, but it will not count in the overall tally of the MVP final. Cupps won MVP, Malik is #2 for the Auburn game. (Same result using "weighted" voting, or total votes accumulated for the game.)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DWB said:

Already done. Before the first game, I stated that the vote tracking would only include guys that actually played. A protest vote is fine, but it will not count in the overall tally of the MVP final. Cupps won MVP, Malik is #2 for the Auburn game. (Same result using "weighted" voting, or total votes accumulated for the game.)

like it.  i'm still a little flabbergasted that Cupps was voted MVP of the game.