North Alabama Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

Just like to see a team that is locked in on both ends of the court. Something that proves they have a game plan we can identify. 

If they win by 30 playing out of control, undisciplined ball it won't make anyone feel better about their prospects this season.

These last two non-conference games are likely the last chance for some guys to see any real playing time. The bench will shrink with conference play.

Looking back, kinda crazy to know we have only won by double digits twice so far this season, the most being 13 points to Harvard. Obviously a win is a win and I’ll take them however we can get them, but I’m certainly ready to see an all around dominant game where we blow a team out by 25+ like we’re supposed to be capable of doing. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Just wondering what some of y'all think...

In the postgame, Woody talked about lack of energy...Anthony Walker did as well, and promised "it won't happen again."

Who has the most influence there? The coach? Or the senior (or any class for that matter) leaders?

It's a cultural thing that has to dictate that IMO. So whoever you think is responsible for the culture in the program. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It's a cultural thing that has to dictate that IMO. So whoever you think is responsible for the culture in the program. 

The named leader (the coach in this instance) is ALWAYS responsible for the culture, be it good or bad...

But that wasn't really what I was asking...On THIS team, who has more influence on the "lack of energy"? 

At least to start games, I think the energy needs to be dictated by Galloway and Cupps. 

They're the head of the snake defensively. Galloway is a senior energy player, and honestly Cupps complete role at this point is 'play hard, play smart'. 

They need to set the tone in terms of defensive energy and effort as well as setting the pace. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The named leader (the coach in this instance) is ALWAYS responsible for the culture, be it good or bad...

But that wasn't really what I was asking...On THIS team, who has more influence on the "lack of energy"? 

I standby saying it's the culture, so if you want to put that on the coach then I guess I think it's the coach who is the most influential. 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 8:48 AM, IUFLA said:

Another team that takes and makes a lot of 3s.

Perfect lol!

Need to be much better rebounding as a result, exhausting watching all these teams get second chance opportunities from chucking up shots and not having to value the ball. Snag those rebounds and use transition opportunities to draw fouls and get easy baskets. Get these guys into foul trouble early so we can utilize our strengths (Ware/Reneau) down low and put them in a tough spot to defend without fouling.

We know perimeter scoring is not our strength so we need to beat them in the other aspects of basketball that are just as important (turnovers, FT’s, hustle plays).

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Just wondering what some of y'all think...

In the postgame, Woody talked about lack of energy...Anthony Walker did as well, and promised "it won't happen again."

Who has the most influence there? The coach? Or the senior (or any class for that matter) leaders?

To me for stuff like that it is the players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, MSHoosier said:

The Smith kid for North Alabama is my vote for career night guy. Shoots 40% from 3 and is a graduate. We seem to leave guys like that open for most of the game. Hope we can improve on that.

He will score a season low. but some player will have his career high 8 minutes into the game and score more points tonight did he has had all season

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Purdue7 said:

Why not reward effort with more PT?

If Walker doesn’t start or get heavy minutes what message does that send?

Gunn needs to bring energy on defense and not hunt shots

100% agree that Walker should be starting this game.  It would serve as a message with meaning.  He literally was the ONLY guy that was ready to play on Tuesday.  

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You benching Reneau?

I personally was more disappointed in Ware on Tuesday.  He was a total no show the first half.

I'm not intending this to be a permanent lineup change.  It's a reward to Walker for bringing it on Tuesday.  If the other 5 bring it tonight, Walker slides back to being an energy delivering 6th man off the bench for the next game.

To get Walker into the starting lineup, it has to be either Ware or Reneau, so flip a coin.  We cant bench Cupps and start Walker, for example.  That said, if it was Gunn that showed out on Tuesday, I would be choosing one of Cupps or Galloway to go to the bench. 

Coach Woodson needs to reward effort with more than just getting to be part of the post-game press conference.

9 minutes ago, rico said:

I bench Ware.

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I personally was more disappointed in Ware on Tuesday.  He was a total no show the first half.

I'm not intending this to be a permanent lineup change.  It's a reward to Walker for bringing it on Tuesday.  If the other 5 bring it tonight, Walker slides back to being an energy delivering 6th man off the bench for the next game.

To get Walker into the starting lineup, it has to be either Ware or Reneau, so flip a coin.  We cant bench Cupps and start Walker, for example.  That said, if it was Gunn that showed out on Tuesday, I would be choosing one of Cupps or Galloway to go to the bench. 

Coach Woodson needs to reward effort with more than just getting to be part of the post-game press conference.

I think we all know in reality neither is getting benched, but I don't understand at all how you can come to the conclusion you'd bench Ware over Reneau. It's not even close who is better and more impactful to the team.

Reneau is really only helping this team win if he scores A LOT. His past 5 games have had 4 with an ORtg under 100 and the 5th game came in at a whopping 100. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 3

Just now, KoB2011 said:

I think we all know in reality neither is getting bencher, but I don't understand at all how you can come to the conclusion you'd bench Ware over Reneau. It's not even close who is better and more impactful to the team.

Reneau is really only helping this team win if he scores A LOT. His past 5 games have had 4 with an ORtg under 100 and the 5th game came in at a whopping 100. 

I don’t bench either

Just get walker a little quicker if either starts bad. Walker seems very happy with his role and is filling perfectly lately. When is on give him more minutes. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think we all know in reality neither is getting benched, but I don't understand at all how you can come to the conclusion you'd bench Ware over Reneau. It's not even close who is better and more impactful to the team.

My mythical decision is not being made on who is better or more valuable, Ware obviously is.

My decision is who should most receive the counter message for rewarding Walker.  It's Ware.  He came to IU with a reputation, and we saw full evidence if that reputation in the first half on Tuesday.

In 1987, when Bob Knight got pissed at the team, he took it out on Steve Alford....his best player.  IU can't win if Ware is playing lackadaisical.  Wake him up by rewarding Walker and not starting Ware in a game IU should win.

Could pay dividends later in the year, much the same as it did for Alford and Indiana in 1987.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1