North Alabama Post Game Thread

IUFLA

I too, was so happy to see a 3 go down for Leal. Yeah, it's only 1 basket, but the guy has been an unbelievably good team mate and leader. Rarely makes defensive mistakes. Can get beat, but he plays hard, and smart.

Would like to see him come in before Gunn TBH. Gunn is athletic, but that doesn't always translate to production.

• Like 4

Clearly, CMW is not following you metrics guys, as he did not leave the starters in to run up the score. 🙂

I thought that almost everyone contributed last night. Agree that Banks is a conundrum. Seems to have not figured out how to slow down and let the game come to him. In his defense, on defense all our guards were defending guys who had more quickness, it seemed. I don't think any of our guys kept up with their guards. 

For those who think Gunn shouldn't be playing as much...I thought he did some good things. Had a nice assist right off the bench. Made a jumper or two. His length on defense is a real disrupter. 

If we can make even half the 3's we made last night, that will help this team immensely.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Clearly, CMW is not following you metrics guys, as he did not leave the starters in to run up the score.

I get the joke, but the offense played much more like a lot of us “metric guys” have been asking for. And it was the best performance of the year.

• Like 5

Glad to see us hit some threes…was it an outlier? To be determined. I’ll be the first to admit I was wrong about Walker. He’s really proving himself and seems to be the one guy off the bench we can actually rely on. 

When X comes back, I would love to see 95% of the minutes be distributed to 7 guys with Cupps and Walker off the bench. If we need to have a quick spell for someone, depending on their position, either Sparks/Gunn/Banks can split the remaining 5%. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Clearly, CMW is not following you metrics guys, as he did not leave the starters in to run up the score. 🙂

I thought that almost everyone contributed last night. Agree that Banks is a conundrum. Seems to have not figured out how to slow down and let the game come to him. In his defense, on defense all our guards were defending guys who had more quickness, it seemed. I don't think any of our guys kept up with their guards. 

For those who think Gunn shouldn't be playing as much...I thought he did some good things. Had a nice assist right off the bench. Made a jumper or two. His length on defense is a real disrupter. 

If we can make even half the 3's we made last night, that will help this team immensely.

Banks and Gunn both pretty much put their heads down when they drive and try to power past the defender...Worked in high school, but not here...

And I think they both have to slow down a bit and let it come to them as you say...

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Banks and Gunn both pretty much put their heads down when they drive and try to power past the defender...Worked in high school, but not here...

And I think they both have to slow down a bit and let it come to them as you say...

I agree. I’d say each has one skill that is incredibly useful though. For Banks, he’s a good offensive rebounder. For CJ, he is very good at getting steals.

Those things are extra possessions for us. I think given the way our roster is, those two will keep getting chances to make it click because they both have a very valuable skill. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I agree. I’d say each has one skill that is incredibly useful though. For Banks, he’s a good offensive rebounder. For CJ, he is very good at getting steals.

Those things are extra possessions for us. I think given the way our roster is, those two will keep getting chances to make it click because they both have a very valuable skill. 

They do, but I think each one has the same issue as Jordan Geronimo had...they see themselves and their games differently than the coaching staff does...

Just do what you do best for now...the other stuff will come...

As for their roles in the conference season, I don't expect either one to get anything beyond spot minutes (injuries and foul trouble not withstanding) based on what we've seen so far...

• Like 4

Just now, IUFLA said:

They do, but I think each one has the same issue as Jordan Geronimo had...they see themselves and their games differently than the coaching staff does...

Just do what you do best for now...the other stuff will come...

As for their roles in the conference season, I don't expect either one to get anything beyond spot minutes (injuries and foul trouble not withstanding) based on what we've seen so far...

I agree with all of that. Just saying, when those spot minutes come up they're going to get a chance over someone like Leal because they do have those skills.

I think we'll see a mostly 7 man rotation in conference. 

• Like 1

Finally a game that was controlled from beginning to end. When the ball moves and shots go down, good things happen. In the second half the ball was just moving so crisply and allowed for nice shots that were in rhythm. Shot percentages seem to go up when the shooter knows he’s going to shoot while the pass is in still in the air. I feel that too many times shooters get the ball, look inside, look left, look right, realize they are open, put up the shot, and then miss. I know it’s North Alabama, but hopefully we see more of this offense in the future. 

Defense seemed okay. Our length will really disrupt some smaller teams and we only allowed 66 points, but it still looks like the team is not confident when they are switching. NA got quite a good amount of open shots that, fortunately, didn’t go down. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Finally a game that was controlled from beginning to end. When the ball moves and shots go down, good things happen. In the second half the ball was just moving so crisply and allowed for nice shots that were in rhythm. Shot percentages seem to go up when the shooter knows he’s going to shoot while the pass is in still in the air. I feel that too many times shooters get the ball, look inside, look left, look right, realize they are open, put up the shot, and then miss. I know it’s North Alabama, but hopefully we see more of this offense in the future. 

Defense seemed okay. Our length will really disrupt some smaller teams and we only allowed 66 points, but it still looks like the team is not confident when they are switching. NA got quite a good amount of open shots that, fortunately, didn’t go down. 

Coach Woodson used the same words in the post game...

• Like 2

To me, Gunn is the conundrum. Reminds me of Troy Williams. Great one game, pile of horse apples the next.

From my view, it looks like he's trying too hard on offense. Almost like he's trying to prove himself. Like Banks, he needs to slow down a ½ step and let the game come to him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DWB said:

I too, was so happy to see a 3 go down for Leal. Yeah, it's only 1 basket, but the guy has been an unbelievably good team mate and leader. Rarely makes defensive mistakes. Can get beat, but he plays hard, and smart.

Would like to see him come in before Gunn TBH. Gunn is athletic, but that doesn't always translate to production.

I would love to get Leal in to spell more player a few minutes here and there. I think Leal has a very, very high bb IQ. However, I think Leal’s defense is behind Gunn’s to be honest. I mean he wasn’t “Mr. Basketball” for Indiana for being average!
l sure hated seeing him, “get his ankles broke” when he fell down last night. I’m going to chalk that on up with tripping over your own feet and coming out cold. You definitely want to go right at a guy who cold and fresh  off the bench. JMO 

Edited by Artesian_86

3 minutes ago, DWB said:

To me, Gunn is the conundrum. Reminds me of Troy Williams. Great one game, pile of horse apples the next.

From my view, it looks like he's trying too hard on offense. Almost like he's trying to prove himself. Like Banks, he needs to slow down a ½ step and let the game come to him.

I think Gunn is like most former HS standouts. They were “the guys” on the floor who opposing coaches spent time trying to stop from scoring. 
Gunn and similar players are now a playing and scoring at a fraction of what they did in HS. When they do get an opportunity, they sometimes appear sped up, forcing shots and quick fouls. I absolutely love Gunn’s form and jump shot. I feel he would prosper more when the shot is created through screens or picks for him, similar to Reggie Miller. JMO 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I have a confession to make...we got up about 20 and it was at some point after the under 8 timeout but I conked out during the game and didn't wake back up until 1:30...

That being said, I liked our 3 point shooting in the game.  I don't think we will always shoot that well but it gives other teams something to think about if we are more aggressive with that shot (and have the right people taking it).

Say three 'Hail Marys' and go shoot 50 free throws to preserve Ye from Thy Mortal Sin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

In defense of us "metrics guys", by handling their business last night and winning by a fairly wide margin, IU moved up about 17 spots in the NET. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

In defense of us "metrics guys", by handling their business last night and winning by a fairly wide margin, IU moved up about 17 spots in the NET. 

no disagreement here. All I am saying is that some were mentioning other programs whose coaches leave their starters in to run up the score v an undermanned opponent, and CMW didn't feel the need to do so last night.

I applaud him and glad that more guys got in the game for more than mop up minutes.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

no disagreement here. All I am saying is that some were mentioning other programs whose coaches leave their starters in to run up the score v an undermanned opponent, and CMW didn't feel the need to do so last night.

I applaud him and glad that more guys got in the game for more than mop up minutes.

I hate using point differential.  It’s fake news.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I genuinely don't remember anyone saying we should leave starters in to run up the score in the name of metrics but yes, we don't need to do that. 

• Like 1