North Alabama Post Game Thread

IUFLA

• IUFLA changed the title to North Alabama Post Game Thread

Was wrapping Christmas presents during the second half so didn’t have a super close eye on things, but really loved what I saw.

Ball movement and pace was excellent, shots were falling. Most enjoyable game of the year to watch, purely from a stylistic standpoint, IMO.

Really hope we can build on this performance. We won’t always shoot 50% from deep, but the way we played is repeatable and will lead to a strong last couple months. 

• Like 5

Whelp, better basketball.  I wanted to see the team continue to grow the lead, but the line up changed so much.  It was good to see they did not give up any runs in the scoring and kept the game in the 20 point range.  Sparks got 12 minutes, Galloway was out for most of the late second half.  Still 3's were falling and the inside out game looked so much better.  One more non con game then it is on again.

our bigs are too often beyond the arc making inlet passes to dbl teamed mates at bad angles to make, receive or be able to do anything if they ever catch it...poor fundamentals - and all our passes are telegraphed

didn't see a true block out by any IU guys

on 50-50 balls, we didn't get a one!

this team will not go far - great athletic talent, not a lot of commensurate basic bball moxie...it's like they're being coached by an NBA guy...oh wait

Just finished watching. Really like the offense we've been running lately. Lots of chin action, getting Galloway running the show and creating, much more ball screen action, etc.  

We're using the bigs much more dynamically the last few games, as opposed to just dumping into the paint and everyone standing around. 

By no means do I expect us to shoot the 3 at this efficiency, but this is what many of us have been asking for. It's not about just shooting more, the offense has been run in a way that is getting our guys rhythm shots. 

Love to see it and hope it continues! 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Just finished watching. Really like the offense we've been running lately. Lots of chin action, getting Galloway running the show and creating, much more ball screen action, etc.  

We're using the bigs much more dynamically the last few games, as opposed to just dumping into the paint and everyone standing around. 

By no means do I expect us to shoot the 3 at this efficiency, but this is what many of us have been asking for. It's not about just shooting more, the offense has been run in a way that is getting our guys rhythm shots. 

Love to see it and hope it continues! 

We made more 3s tonight then shots taken all yr

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Dawg Bawls said:

I dont know who had more blocks tonight Ware or the freaking ahole in the Subaru on the way home... 

that wasnt you was it Mr. Keet?

Not me. 

Just got home. I know this wasn’t the best opponent we’ve played this year, but we handled them fairly easily whereas we didn’t similar opponents e.g. Army and Morehead. I’ll call that progress and celebrate it. 

When we get in the thick of the B1G, I still think our best bet is to cut the rotation to seven when X gets back. I know that wears us down come March, but we just have to worry about getting to March for now. 

We are a better team when we show a pulse from three point range. Some of us harp on that a lot, but being productive in that area makes a huge difference. Hopefully that continues. 

• Like 5

Great offense.  To me it was about the volume of threes.  It reflected good ball movement and then willingness to launch.  Man, I hope we play like that the rest of the way.  There may be times, e.g, down the stretch, after a timeout, start of a half, where the ball is coming down low.   That’s fine. But as an offense I loved the ball movement.   This was a bigger picture thing that was independent of  who they played.  

While I’m talking about effectiveness of the offense, my confident spot is TG with the ball coming downhill and creating.  In sections of games where this gets on a roll, we thrive.  You guys are probably tired of hearing me say it, but let him run that and then let X go off the ball and he can get some spot up looks from 3 or else where.  Love Gabe Cupps but he’s in a developmental cycle and not ready to take that on.   

On the negative side, Banks and Dunn are drifting into enigma status.  In the portal era they can’t take anything for granted about their future.  See Bates and Geronimo.   Both have potential but listen to CCC about production versus potential.  I thought they were turning the corner in earlier games, including at Michigan.   If these guys hold their end of the bargain, you may be sitting on a win against #2 Kansas.  Woody isn’t stupid.  There are bench guys out there that can help you win those games.

I don’t think Woody and staff make the same mistakes they made last year in spring portal action.  Between high school and portal, I’m expecting 5 plus from the cavalry and I suspect Woody will make room for as many guys as he seems to think he needs the way he runs his rotations.  You lose because a couple of spots in your rotation aren’t working, then he knows the solution.  Having said all that, they have potential and we aren’t even in January yet.  I’m pulling for them to get consistent and turn it on.   

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 6

I will add that MM is really coming on and showing some consistency.  Really like his mentality in a number of respects.  First, he can go get buckets different ways and he thinks that way.  A very versatile scorer.  Second, there is an edginess to his play that I like.  I always want edgy guys on my team.  Third, let’s be honest, he was lost at the start of the year.  For Woody to get this amount of improvement in a couple of month is great to see.  It’s a credit to Woody but you have to give MM credit for his stick-to-it-ness and not packing up and going home.  He’s probably heard every chalupa joke in the book but he’s escalating his game.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 6

So happy for Leal- his 3 looked pure. I would like to see more of him since we are so thin at guard, but I wonder if this was the last good chunk of PT he gets in his IU career. 
Love the game from Malik, I do wish he would look to pass sometimes when he’s jammed up, but I get the feeling he doesn’t trust other team mates to score, so I get it.

IU did what they were supposed to do, and it’s a relief. Maybe the hot hand from 3 can spread to more games just as the bad shooting did, and if so, can alleviate so much of the mental piece of this team’s shooting woes, and change the dynamic of this season. Here’s to hope!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I know it's late for some, but if we'd won by less than 10, this thread would be 3 pages long already 🙂

I have a confession to make...we got up about 20 and it was at some point after the under 8 timeout but I conked out during the game and didn't wake back up until 1:30...

That being said, I liked our 3 point shooting in the game.  I don't think we will always shoot that well but it gives other teams something to think about if we are more aggressive with that shot (and have the right people taking it).

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 1

25 assists on 31 baskets. Gallo with 9. Much better ball movement. Shot making became contagious. Also just one of those nights. Offense breaks down, Banks doesn’t know what to do and throws it to Malik who has to launch a deep three and drains it as shot clock expires. 
Need to play N AL more often. Last time IU made 12 threes was against them in 2020. 
Crazy stat. Cupps was only IU starter to be called for a foul. 

• Like 2

I thought Woodson and staff made a nice adjustment at half and started using PnR with ware and galloway instead of just posting up.  Everyone got into driving the balll and dropping it of or kicking it out. This team can score in a variety of ways.  Posting up. PnR, diff the drive. 

Ball movement was much better in 2nd half

MM needs to continue to drive the ball and look for his shot. Even if he isn’t making them you have to guard him. 

Reneau will probably not shoot like that again but he and Ware need to take  1 to 2 three’s a game just make the D think about it

• Like 2

Lot of great things to take from this game. I thought just about everyone contributed to the win, which is great. Like others have pointed out, this wasn't a great opponent but we have struggled putting away even bad teams. The only negative for me was that the bench gave up some of the lead coming down the final stretch.  I really can't figure Banks out. I really think he has the kind of game that should help us, but it seemed he struggled to guard anyone last night. Shooters shot over him and their guards drove around him.  Did anyone else see it the same way?

• Like 1