Kennesaw St Post Game Thread

Reacher

The thing I love about this game is that we won't face one other team the rest of the year that forces that pace. Now we know we can play that pace if need be. Obviously Malik. Mack was awesome until hurt. So many contributions again....Walker, Banks, Trey with the 7 dishes....I know I'm missing guys.

Now we start the Big 10. Get Ware back and it sounds like Xavier as well. 

• Like 3

Good first 10 minutes, horrible middle 20 minutes, good last 10 minutes. Considering Ware was out, the end result was fine.

The best news of the day was XJ had his first contact practice yesterday. I know people like Cupps, but he was our worst player today. He’s a freshman and bad games happen, so not the end of the world. But today is exactly why we need XJ back asap. Cupps is a solid energy guy off the bench, but the last month has shown that he’s not ready to be a starter yet.

• Like 6

Some good stuff and some bad stuff.

Hope Mack, X, and Ware can go against Nebraska - we need em.

Wouldn’t mind seeing Leal get some minutes. The team needs smarts more than what Gunn brings.

Loved Sparks stepping up when called upon. He should be able to do that against a team like Kennesaw State - but that’s the point, he did it. Good for him.

Defense flat out has to get better.

Our offense can be really good when they’re moving and attacking, but it’s not when it’s stagnant. We saw a bit of both tonight, but the run to start and finish were quality ball. Gotta play that way for 40 minutes every night the next 18 games. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Wouldn’t mind seeing Leal get some minutes. The team needs smarts more than what Gunn brings.

Loved Sparks stepping up when called upon. He should be able to do that against a team like Kennesaw State - but that’s the point, he did it. Good for him.

Our offense can be really good when they’re moving and attacking, but it’s not when it’s stagnant. We saw a bit of both tonight, but the run to start and finish were quality ball. Gotta play that way for 40 minutes every night the next 18 games. 

Didn’t see the game…what happened to MgBako?  

2 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I was really excited to kill flight time and watch this one but, alas, BTN+.  

What did Leal do, particularly?  I have been advocating for Leal over Gunn for a while.  If Gunn can’t make shots, why is he on the floor?

I thought Leal did a good job stopping the drive today, which it felt like all of our other guards struggled with.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Agree with pretty much all of this. A lot to like and several things not to like. 

Hard to criticize Reneau on a night like tonight, I just hate our offense when it's dump it to him on the block and everyone stand around. We need movement, we need Galloway and the guards creating offense off the bigs screening, etc.  

Defense needs a lot of work, but not a lot of teams like Kennesaw. Just hate the overhelping. 

We need Ware back, and hopefully XJ and MM healthy. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I was really excited to kill flight time and watch this one but, alas, BTN+.  

What did Leal do, particularly?  I have been advocating for Leal over Gunn for a while.  If Gunn can’t make shots, why is he on the floor?

One of the biggest things he did was helped slow the pace down. 

Kennesaw wanted a fast pace and we were trying to match it. Once Leal came in he got us slowed down and deliberate offensively. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Hard to criticize Reneau on a night like tonight, I just hate our offense when it's dump it to him on the block and everyone stand around. We need movement, we need Galloway and the guards creating offense off the bigs screening, etc.  

yeah…

We know he can score a lot against teams like this. We also know his efficiency is going to drop against more even competition. If he’s only hitting 50% (or less) of his twos against good teams and turning it over like he did tonight that’s a problem for our offense.

Flip side… it isn’t hard to imagine an offense with a lot of ball screens and DHO for X, Trey and even MM being lethal. We have enough versatility, skill, and even shooting in our top 5-7 guys to be really good on offense if we run the right stuff. 

• Like 1