Kennesaw St Post Game Thread

Reacher

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

My wife is out on a girls night so if they said it during the game I missed it in the process of parenting three small kids. He had ice on his left, hopefully just a bump but would love a real update if someone knows. 

The BTN+ announcers called it out and sure enough, he had something on his left knee area. It seemed like the next few times the camera panned past, it was still there. Shortly after, I saw him standing in the huddle normally and then nothings was ever said again. Of course he never came back in, so who knows?

• Like 1

Good to see Sparks play well.  Nice blocks, good work around the basket.  Taking Mgbako out with an injury didn't help.  Gave up too many open 3 looks to a team that lives on the line.  I would like to know what the T was for.  Entering Jan with 3 losses, same as last year, however last year one of those as BT game.  No really "good wins, but no really bad loses.  Potential is there, time to put it all together.  For me, the good news is that is not about talent, it is mostly mental mistakes that should be fixable.

1 hour ago, Kdug said:

Good first 10 minutes, horrible middle 20 minutes, good last 10 minutes. Considering Ware was out, the end result was fine.

The best news of the day was XJ had his first contact practice yesterday. I know people like Cupps, but he was our worst player today. He’s a freshman and bad games happen, so not the end of the world. But today is exactly why we need XJ back asap. Cupps is a solid energy guy off the bench, but the last month has shown that he’s not ready to be a starter yet.

Cupid w zero turnovers

• Haha 1

Just got done watching the replay.  It helps knowing the outcome, but that was an entertaining game to watch.  I don't put too much stock in the 87 points given up.  That will be the fastest paced game that IU plays all year.

- Free throws will cost this team a game at some point this season.

- Turnovers at the rate we saw tonight cannot happen against better teams.

The offense is looking more defined. They have an idea of who can do what and while it's still ugly at times they are starting to knock down some perimeter shots. Getting X back and moving Galloway to a more normal position off the ball should elevate everyone.

The defense will determine if this team makes the big dance. They play their bigs together and it makes them slow. Their rotations are two steps behind and some still don't know where they should be or who they are guarding. Still waiting for CMW to explain why the guards dig so far into the lane leaving shooters.

Again, X could make a significant difference. He has a better chance of staying in front of the ball than Cupps. He also allows Galloway to focus more on that side of the ball. But the  reality is they also struggle to prevent drives and it leads to more threes against them than any season I can recall.

Talent is there. Effort is there. Significant gaps on both ends amplified by the X injury. It forces a true freshman to play more than he should and Galloway to play point, which he is not.

Figure out the D and get healthy - they can play with anyone in conference.

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Figure out the D and get healthy - they can play with anyone in conference.

I didn't get a chance to watch this one because I am not paying for BTN+, but it seems like we are still saying the same thing at the end of December that we were saying at the beginning of the season.  The get everyone healthy thing is out of their hands but all the other stuff still being question marks right now should be concerning.

I think the only performance we have put together where you could say that we looked like a team that should be in the tournament wad the loss to Kansas (I am basing this on the box score for last night as I couldn't watch).

All the easy ones are done now. 

• Like 1

I always love listening to the comments from opposing coaches. He definitely knows the game and knows how get the very best out of his players. He seems very selfless and has genuine love for his team. I can see why those Kennesaw St. kids play so hard for him. If he keeps this up, he definitely won’t be coaching there for very long.
Mark my word and I’m gonna say it now, this team will win the Atlantic Sun, make the tournament and upset a higher seed in the first round. 
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vutGji0FqRU

• Like 2

Just now, Artesian_86 said:

I always love listening to the comments from opposing coaches. He definitely knows the game and knows how get the very best out of his players. He seems very selfless and has genuine love for his team. I can see why those Kennesaw St. kids play so hard for him. If he keeps this up, he definitely won’t be coaching there for very long.
Mark my word and I’m gonna say it now, this team will win the Atlantic Sun, make the tournament and upset a higher seed in the first round. 
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vutGji0FqRU

I watched that earlier, and Pettway seems like a good coach and leader for these kids...He gave us our due, but was more focused on lessons learned and giving his team confidence...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I watched that earlier, and Pettway seems like a good coach and leader for these kids...He gave us our due, but was more focused on lessons learned and giving his team confidence...

I thought the same thing. I love hearing when they pay accolades to our players. He basically mentioned Malik and Caleb as turning points for IU. He is a pretty stand up guy.
I was looking at the A-Sun standings and they are currently in first place. They will definitely win games this year. 

Edited by Artesian_86

We significantly upgraded our non-conference schedule and a consequence of that is you can get your a$$ beat on any given night. Most of these games were closer than we would have liked but they made the team work for the win. I believe has made the team better. I'll withhold judgement on what we can or can't do until I see a few games with us at full strength.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I didn't get a chance to watch this one because I am not paying for BTN+, but it seems like we are still saying the same thing at the end of December that we were saying at the beginning of the season.  The get everyone healthy thing is out of their hands but all the other stuff still being question marks right now should be concerning.

I think the only performance we have put together where you could say that we looked like a team that should be in the tournament wad the loss to Kansas (I am basing this on the box score for last night as I couldn't watch).

I’m not sure I agree with the bolded part, at least on offense. I think there’s been clear signs of improvement on offense from the first 5 games.

I do agree that the defense has the same concerns, and at this point my only hope of improvement on that side of the ball is that maybe XJ changes things. I’m not very confident that we’ll make the needed improvement on defense to make the tourney.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

It's not hard to find it playing online. I'm generally willing to pay, but big ten plus is just a bridge too crappy.

• Like 1