Minnesota Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Friday, January 12th 6:30 PM EST

Where: Simon-Skjotd Assembly Hall, Bloomington, Indiana

TV: FS1

3rd year coach Ben Johnson (34-42 overall) leads his Minnesota Golden Gophers (12-3 3-1 in Big 10 play) into SSAH on a 7 game win streak. The Gophers will be well rested as their last game was last Sunday at home versus Maryland

image.png.6f768719026b2335e23e44fc6856e409.png

image.png.81114fad8bd58881f1adce03e0e42dce.png

image.png.d7e3d25707ae9186f86f307e8c8b3cc1.png

image.png.a26a37c96ad3cf2a25a843b2b824b071.png

The Gophers are led by a familiar name: 6'11 senior Dawson Garcia. We recruited Garcia and lost out to Marquette. He eventually transferred to North Carolina, and then back home to Minnesota. Garcia has always been one of those kids who has immense physical talent, but never quite harnessed it all. He's had  2 decent seasons at Minny, and he leads the Gophers in PPG and rebounds. It always seems there were questions around his decision making on the court...A 3 point threat who's not shooting a good percentage this year (24%) but is a lifetime 34% shooter. A tough assignment as he can shoot the 3 and take you inside. 

The last 3 games, Garcia has been joined by 6'2 senior transfer (Pepperdine) Mike Mitchell (11 ppg 41% from 3) 5'11 junior transfer (Howard) Elijah Hawkins (9 ppg 7 apg 38% 3 point shooter), 6'7 junior Joshua Ola-Joseph (11 ppg 50% from 3), and freshman Cam Christie (younger brother of Max Christie formerly of Michigan State and currently a teammate of JHS on the Lakers) who has been pretty solid at 10 ppg and 40% from behind the arc.

6'9 sophomore Pharell Payne (10 ppg 5 rpg) provides size and energy off the bench. 6'4 junior Braeden Carrington (6 ppg 20% from 3) provides backcourt depth and has started games for the Gophers this year. 6'9 senior Isaiah Ihnen and 6'8 redshirt (medical) Parker Fox see double digit minutes off the bench as well...

Minnesota is no pushover. They've beaten Nebraska and Maryland at home, Michigan on the road, and lost to Ohio State in Columbus. Winnable game, but we cannot turn it over, and we have to get better on the boards. The Gophers share the ball, and are a decent defensive team that shoots the 3 at a good percentage.

GO HOOSIERS!

Edited by IUFLA
  • Thanks 5

42 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

He shouldn't.  But, it will be a coaching decision, not a formal suspension.  

I hope coach gives him some kind of discipline. Not sure a suspension is needed

I remember Fife with a bit sack tap on an out of bounds play and tackling a guy and bitting him after a getting tangled up on rebound. Fife played pretty dirty 

I don’t like johnson’s act either. it was dirty and no place for it. But not sure a suspension is necessary now. do it again and suspend him

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

He shouldn't.  But, it will be a coaching decision, not a formal suspension.  

Being that I am an encyclopedia of nut-shots. I recall Brad Davison was suspended by the Big Ten in 2020 for hitting Connor McCaffery in the nuts. The difference however was Davison was assessed a flagrant 1. This act occurred late in the game as well. I feel like the Big Ten will suspend Johnson.

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, 94hoosier said:

I hope coach gives him some kind of discipline. Not sure a suspension is needed

I remember Fife with a bit sack tap on an out of bounds play and tackling a guy and bitting him after a getting tangled up on rebound. Fife played pretty dirty 

I don’t like johnson’s act either. it was dirty and no place for it. But not sure a suspension is necessary now. do it again and suspend him

He should absolutely be suspended. It wasn’t his first time with that specific act. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Time to get a win and move to 4-2. Didn't think I would be typing this a month ago but this team will go as X and Trey go. X I understand the rust but Trey has been disappointing. Home game on a Friday night with students back I have no doubt on this one. Start the good vibes going again before Tuesday.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Basketball Junkie said:

I said back in the summer that Johnson was a dirty player, in regard to the Liddell play. At the time it was dismissed by a few people as not a big deal. But now that it has happened again it's clear that there needs to be some sort of consequences.

Yeah - I argued with you defending X. You were correct. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Basketball Junkie said:

I said back in the summer that Johnson was a dirty player, in regard to the Liddell play. At the time it was dismissed by a few people as not a big deal. But now that it has happened again it's clear that there needs to be some sort of consequences.

and he was part of the Windy City 5 and he was reckless driving and resisting arrest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Basketball Junkie said:

Yeah, he has had his 4 strikes. I would say more than enough to tell him not to come back. But I really doubt much if anything is done. 

see, i'm not even 100% advocating for him to be booted, but he should definitely be suspended.  i would bet he gets no punishment.  

• Like 1