Minnesota Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

Won't be watching tonight.  Going to catch a high school game instead.  

I have concerns.  I think there is a level of confidence in the fan base because it's Minnesota at home that should not be there.  The Gophers may just be the better team.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I have concerns.  I think there is a level of confidence in the fan base because it's Minnesota at home that should not be there.  The Gophers may just be the better team.

Minnesota is a decent team...They're 1-1 on the road in the Big 10 winning at Michigan (who hasn't?) and losing at Ohio State...

I think it'll be a good game...they don't start a true 5, and I think we'll have favorable matchups in the front court on the offensive end...Hopefully we'll shoot better from outside and especially from the line at home...

• Like 2

Win or lose, this team needs to put together at least 3 games where they can show consistent effort and the ability to remain focused for all 40 minutes. I wouldn’t be surprised if they start that streak tonight….the trouble has been stringing together multiple games.

So, let’s kick it off again and hope the good play sticks around. 

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I have confidence we will win due to being at home and generally playing better at Assembly Hall (8-1) but I don't expect it to be easy. If bad IU shows up, we definitely can lose.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

will be watching and broadcasting my son's HS game until about 930pm then will watch the replay.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Freaking rebound, limit turnovers. 

I really don't think rebounding is a point of emphasis for this team. Nobody tries to find a man to box out. 

I know you're a coach and it's impossible to emphasize every aspect of the game, there's only so much time and mental capacity. Your team will excel at things other teams don't and vice versa. That said, I do think that rebounding is an important enough aspect of the game to spend a considerable amount of time on, especially if your team is not boxing out. We give enough second chances with turnovers. We give up a huge disparity in 3's attempted and made on most nights. We need to take care of at least one of these 3 aspects or else we really don't have a solid formula to win games. 

By giving opponents so many more possessions we might as well just spot them 10 points at the beginning of the game. You can't spot any B!G team 10 points. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

will be watching and broadcasting my son's HS game until about 930pm then will watch the replay.  

update.  they postponed my son's game due to wind and rain.  yes.  wind and rain.  Southerners are hilarious.  now i can bring my optimism to the game thread!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

27 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

update.  they postponed my son's game due to wind and rain.  yes.  wind and rain.  Southerners are hilarious.  now i can bring my optimism to the game thread!  

My kids' school is dismissing early for the same reason.  Unfortunately, the district where I teach is not.  

Looking forward to what should be a win tonight.  

Edited by Parakeet Jones

27 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Was the game outside LOL! Man I would shovel snow off of my basketball court and play in 25 degree weather when I was a kid

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Was the game outside LOL! Man I would shovel snow off of my basketball court and play in 25 degree weather when I was a kid

seriously!  it's crazy.  a little wind and rain.  worried about transportation.  it's not even close to freezing, but saying winds could blow the bus over.  absolutely no way the wind is going to be that strong tonight.  oh well, now i can drink bourbon and watch the Hoosiers.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

What's homecourt worth 2-3 points?  I'm either really overvaluing IU or undervaluing Minnesota, or maybe a combination of both.  

I think for basketball it would be closer to 7 and for football it would be like 3

8 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

What's homecourt worth 2-3 points?  I'm either really overvaluing IU or undervaluing Minnesota, or maybe a combination of both.  

4 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I think for basketball it would be closer to 7 and for football it would be like 3

With IU basketball, it feels like it's at least plus 20 points compared to their road efforts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

seriously!  it's crazy.  a little wind and rain.  worried about transportation.  it's not even close to freezing, but saying winds could blow the bus over.  absolutely no way the wind is going to be that strong tonight.  oh well, now i can drink bourbon and watch the Hoosiers.  

It’s happened more than you think. It doesn’t have to be constant wind but if you get a straight line wind catch a bus from the right direction..especially moving or turning already..I wouldn’t be so sure. Might be playing it too safe…but in the age of lawsuits no district is going to put children in harms way for a ball game. I get it…we all grew up in a different time but when it’s your kid…people usually feel differently.

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I thought it was 3 across the board, for both sports? 

I think you're right... a couple different excerpts I found.  

In the NBA, most folks will tell you that home court is worth about 2.5 points. Some will even say 3.0 points for a stronger team. For college basketball, the value sits between 3.0 and 3.5 points.

Not all advantages are equal – The general home court advantage is thought to be the equivalent of about three points per game on average. It is very important to remember, though, that an average doesn't mean that it will be the same in all buildings.

In college basketball, there is no exact number like that, but home court advantage can be worth anywhere between 2.5 and 6 points or more depending on the venue and opponent

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ledies22 said:

I think you're right... a couple different excerpts I found.  

In the NBA, most folks will tell you that home court is worth about 2.5 points. Some will even say 3.0 points for a stronger team. For college basketball, the value sits between 3.0 and 3.5 points.

Not all advantages are equal – The general home court advantage is thought to be the equivalent of about three points per game on average. It is very important to remember, though, that an average doesn't mean that it will be the same in all buildings.

In college basketball, there is no exact number like that, but home court advantage can be worth anywhere between 2.5 and 6 points or more depending on the venue and opponent

Good find. I think it's safe to say our home court is 5pts+ advantage. 

Of course, OUR road games the other team undoubtedly has that advantage, as well. lol 

1. Apparently X has a nut allergy because he just likes to hit the nuts away when they are near by. 
2. I know people have been not liking posting up two big men. I don’t understand why Indiana doesn’t just start 4 out and 1 in and spread offense out. Reneau can cut or dribble his guy down and make some moves around his guy pretty easily so not sure why they don’t do this more. The amount of adjustments or things woody doesn’t try shows how much of an NBA coach he is and how set in his NBA ways he is.

• Like 4