NCAA vs. NIL

1 hour ago, rico said:

Seems as though Rocky Top is in some trouble with the NCAA over their NIL.  How many other schools are they gonna go after?

https://www.si.com/college/2024/01/30/sources-tennessee-under-ncaa-investigation-for-nil-violations-in-multiple-sports

That cat is out of the bag.  The schools aren't even technically supposed to have any hand in the NIL stuff so what are they hitting them for?  You aren't allowed to introduce them to these collectives?

Too little, too late.

54 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

That cat is out of the bag.  The schools aren't even technically supposed to have any hand in the NIL stuff so what are they hitting them for?  You aren't allowed to introduce them to these collectives?

Too little, too late.

It is my belief that the NCAA, perhaps with the help of Congress, is gonna start ratcheting down on how the NIL is used.

15 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Too little, too late.

knee jerk reaction of immediate implementation rather than taking time to plan it and roll it out. To be fair the NCAA was forced to and now they are trying to pick up the pieces and govern the shitty hand they were dealt.

Everyone is doing it. FSU just got caught and apparently Tennessee now. 

Even with the enforcement, it is still going to continue. 

2 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

nee jerk reaction of immediate implementation rather than taking time to plan it and roll it out. To be fair the NCAA was forced to and now they are trying to pick up the pieces and govern the shitty hand they were dealt.

The NCAA seeing this happen.....

nnaHSQ.gif

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, rico said:

It is my belief that the NCAA, perhaps with the help of Congress, is gonna start ratcheting down on how the NIL is used.

I feel like it's going to go the other way. Colleges with the help of the courts, and perhaps Congress, are going to expand the ways players can be paid. If the NCAA tries too hard to get in the way, the power 5 conferences will go their own way. I think doing so, or at least credibly threatening the NCAA with doing so, has been the main driver of conference realignment.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

feel like it's going to go the other way. Colleges with the help of the courts, and perhaps Congress, are going to expand the ways players can be paid. If the NCAA tries too hard to get in the way, the power 5 conferences will go their own way. I think doing so, or at least credibly threatening the NCAA with doing so, has been the main driver of conference realignment.

Yep. I think the writing is on the wall. The NCAA can't enforce anything - UNC showed colleges the way. Just wrap them up in law suits and fight with their unlimited resources until it all goes away. 

It sucks from a competitive standpoint, but in a billion dollar industry where the athlete's are the product, the NCAA can't realistically stop athlete's from receiving money that another party that wants to pay them without running into antitrust laws. When conferences are signing 100 million annual TV contracts, paying coaches millions a year, building multi-million dollar facilities, etc., 'amateurism' is just a spec in the rearview mirror. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

I feel like it's going to go the other way. Colleges with the help of the courts, and perhaps Congress, are going to expand the ways players can be paid. If the NCAA tries too hard to get in the way, the power 5 conferences will go their own way. I think doing so, or at least credibly threatening the NCAA with doing so, has been the main driver of conference realignment.

It go the other way.  Or it could absolutely go the pro route.  No more recruiting which means no more cash bag deals.  Colleges have a draft to acquire their athletes.

Just now, rico said:

It go the other way.  Or it could absolutely go the pro route.  No more recruiting which means no more cash bag deals.  Colleges have a draft to acquire their athletes.

Also add trades as well

How would you do a draft. Just have the power 5 teams draft and the rest take the leftovers

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Also add trades as well

How would you do a draft. Just have the power 5 teams draft and the rest take the leftovers

Hell yeah on the trades!

Well are schools outside the Power 5(4) going to be able to pay the #1 overall pick?  Or the #15 pick?  The NCAA would have to come up with a slot amount for each pick and make it affordable for the "small" schools.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Also add trades as well

Forget that, that skips the most basic of questions, how do you align that with forcing someone to go to a certain school?  This is supposedly still a bunch of academic entities.  I think if you are to that point that the schools would have to completely separate the athletic department from the school.  And I would hope at some point all the eggheads would look at each other and ask just WTF they are doing.

2 minutes ago, Victobmyboy said:

NCAA is in a losing battle. States rights and the fact they haven't punished anyone in 3 years brings in Acquis. Tennessee is ready to do Battle. The NCAA couldn’t run an automatic car wash. 

States rights may not apply IF Congress wants to get involved.  Something about regulating interstate commerce which the business of intercollegiate athletics could easily fall under.  At least hypothetically.

Just now, thirdgenhoosier said:

States rights may not apply IF Congress wants to get involved.  Something about regulating interstate commerce which the business of intercollegiate athletics could easily fall under.  At least hypothetically.

The courts say otherwise. I bet congress stays out of this. The NCAA wants congress to get into this but congress isn’t in the business to hinder income of athletes. The NCAA is grasping at anything keeping them in power. 

21 minutes ago, Victobmyboy said:

The courts say otherwise. I bet congress stays out of this. The NCAA wants congress to get into this but congress isn’t in the business to hinder income of athletes. The NCAA is grasping at anything keeping them in power. 

Oh I bet Congress does too.  I wasn’t implying that Congress would do anything.  Can you point me to a court case that says otherwise?  I’m not trying to prove you wrong.  I just don’t recall it.

15 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Oh I bet Congress does too.  I wasn’t implying that Congress would do anything.  Can you point me to a court case that says otherwise?  I’m not trying to prove you wrong.  I just don’t recall it.

If congress wanted to get involved they would’ve already. The scotus already ruled. You think congress wants to pull power from the stats after an antitrust ruling? Especially over the failing NCAA grasping for power? No way. That’s not even my opinion. Lawyers are coming out of the woodwork to blast the NCAA. If I’m a betting man I’m betting Tennessee/Virginia gets this injunction and rather quickly. 

13 minutes ago, Victobmyboy said:

If congress wanted to get involved they would’ve already. The scotus already ruled. You think congress wants to pull power from the stats after an antitrust ruling? Especially over the failing NCAA grasping for power? No way. That’s not even my opinion. Lawyers are coming out of the woodwork to blast the NCAA. If I’m a betting man I’m betting Tennessee/Virginia gets this injunction and rather quickly. 

That’s not what I was saying.  I was agreeing that Congress likely won’t.  I was asking for the court case so I can look it up.

• Like 1