Transfer Portal Prospects 2024

This year we landed a big catch in Ware and he’s been great.  But he was an obvious talent.   What I’m more curious about are mid-major types who have come up and absolutely thrived.   Yes, we looked at Knecht and reportedly RayJ Dennis.  But look at the great pieces that the competition got such as Marcus Domask, Ace Baldwin, Brice Williams, Rienk Mast, Lance Jones, or Max Klesmit.  It’s been proven that productive players from lower levels can come up here and thrive (hoping we see that with IU Football under CCC).

For those of you who watch other teams play, can you please identify potential transfer possibilities as you watch down the stretch?   

I will throw a few names out:

Ryan Conwell, Indiana State, 15 ppg, 5 reb, 39% from 3 at 6’4, 195 from Pike High

Jalen Blackmon, Stetson, 6’3 180, 20 ppg, 39% from 3, 90% free throws, from Marion

Isiah Swope, Indiana State, tiny at 5’10 but electric at 18 ppg, over 40% from 3; far more dynamic than anyone we have had in awhile, from Newburgh

Edited by BobSaccamanno

I've watched several Indiana State games and probably their entire starting 5 could probably move up to power 5, but Conwell and Swope standout as guys would could possibly start at that level and make and impact.  Avila is a very skilled big and kind of reminds me of Cameron Krutwig from Loyola a few years ago, but with a 3 point shot.  They also have a Jayson Kent, a 6'8" wing? (listed as a guard) that rebounds the heck out of the ball and can step out and hit threes. He had a 20 rebound game recently.  I watched their game against Bradley who has Conner Hickman from Bloomington.  6'3" 200 junior averaging around 15ppg 3rpg 3apg and shooting 40% from three on 6 attempts. Hickman may be someone to watch. I've not seen any other of his games to see if he could guard anyone at the power 5 level, but he can shoot the ball.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EvilleHoosier said:

I've watched several Indiana State games and probably their entire starting 5 could probably move up to power 5, but Conwell and Swope standout as guys would could possibly start at that level and make and impact.  Avila is a very skilled big and kind of reminds me of Cameron Krutwig from Loyola a few years ago, but with a 3 point shot.  They also have a Jayson Kent, a 6'8" wing? (listed as a guard) that rebounds the heck out of the ball and can step out and hit threes. He had a 20 rebound game recently.  I watched their game against Bradley who has Conner Hickman from Bloomington.  6'3" 200 junior averaging around 15ppg 3rpg 3apg and shooting 40% from three on 6 attempts. Hickman may be someone to watch. I've not seen any other of his games to see if he could guard anyone at the power 5 level, but he can shoot the ball.

IMO Hickman is a better defender than he is shooter. Sneaky good athlete.  

I think Bloomington South wins a state title in 2021 if CH isn't out with shoulder surgery.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

For those of you who watch other teams play, can you please identify potential transfer possibilities as you watch down the stretch?   

I only watch Indiana games, but I was at the Fieldhouse for the Harvard game and watched Malik Mack tear us up. I'd approve if he decided "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em":

image.png.d64a959c6fe34b962808bc1747febfcb.png

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

I only watch Indiana games, but I was at the Fieldhouse for the Harvard game and watched Malik Mack tear us up. I'd approve if he decided "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em":

I said in the game thread for that game that Woody should have made him an NIL offer for next year in the portal in the handshake line. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

To me, it's 2 birds in the hand versus 2 in the bush :)

Do I want to get a Harvard education (which is still worth quite a bit in the long term)  and pretty much a guarantee that I'm going to start and be the focal point of the offense for 3 more years?

Or do I trade that for NIL money but having to go against stiffer competition with no guarantees?

Over at Torvik, you can filter player rankings for, among other things, FR/SO in mid major conferences. Not a bad starting point:

https://barttorvik.com/playerstat.php?link=y&yvalue=FrSo&cvalue=Mid&year=2024&minmin=0&start=20231101&end=20240501

image.thumb.png.6bea0273f22a5f43ab8ed2a0c4930841.png

You can also filter by role, though not by backcourt generally. Malik Mack jumps to the top of the list for the pure PG role.

• Like 3

@BobSaccamanno great thread... and I didn't mean to take away your like of Swope, at all, by pointing out that NO ONE wanted that kid coming out of HS. Went to D2 (at the time) USI. 

Throw the rankings out the door, certainly the HS ones, and find kids who can play modern, faster, and are productive. Find players that complement each other. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

@BobSaccamanno great thread... and I didn't mean to take away your like of Swope, at all, by pointing out that NO ONE wanted that kid coming out of HS. Went to D2 (at the time) USI. 

Throw the rankings out the door, certainly the HS ones, and find kids who can play modern, faster, and are productive. 

Yeah, thanks, I knew what you meant, so no worries at all.  The size on one hand can be a problem on D on paper.  I haven't seen his defense, so can't comment.  But, a lot of times those small guys are quick and are really, really hard to drive on.  Stop the ball and penetration.

We need shooting but just as much we need perimeter D, IMO.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Yeah, thanks, I knew what you meant, so no worries at all.  The size on one hand can be a problem on D on paper.  I haven't seen his defense, so can't comment.  But, a lot of times those small guys are quick and are really, really hard to drive on.  Stop the ball and penetration.

We need shooting but just as much we need perimeter D, IMO.

Zakai Zeigler says hi! 

• Like 1

Using the tool @Maedhros mentioned, I found a couple mid major guys that can really shoot from deep based on stats. Koby Brea from Dayton and Erik Reynolds II from St. Joe's are two guys that stood out. Brea doesn't start but gets starter minutes (27 mpg)... could be a good bench piece behind Gallo? He's in his fourth season currently but he is listed as a Jr

These two play head-to-head tomorrow night at 8 on CBSSN if anyone wants to watch.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 02Hoosier said:

My post was only a joke... not to be taken seriously. And far from grumbling lol

For what’s it’s worth, I thought it was funny. Everybody needs to lighten up….the season’s disaster, but certainly not the end of the world. 😀

Edited by Hoosier4Life53
  • Like 1