Northwestern Post Game Thread

KDB

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I did say that and I am not saying emailing them will lead to a change. Just saying make your voice heard and let them no of your concerns. Also I was more talking about the hiring process when stating don't hire someone just because the fans wants them.

That's fair.

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

angry-mob.gif

Year 1 mediocre season and luckily made the tournament. Lost in the first round by 30

Year 2 good season but still not consistent. Lost big in 2nd round.

Year 3 Horrible and embarrassing season. Unless a miracle run in the BTT there will be no post season.

Should we all just be happy and not voice our concerns.

Year 4 looks worse with only 1 recruit signed and will have to fill the roster with players from the portal.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Year 1 mediocre season and luckily made the tournament. Lost in the first round by 30

Year 2 good season but still not consistent. Lost big in 2nd round.

Year 3 Horrible and embarrassing season. Unless a miracle run in the BTT there will be no post season.

Should we all just be happy and not voice our concerns.

Year 4 looks worse with only 1 recruit signed and will have to fill the roster with players from the portal.

You can't say year 4 looks worse until you see the roster, imo it will probably be better. And "luckily made the tournament"? You are either in or not. So is it "unluckily" not making the tournament when you feel like you should have made it? This season stinks, no doubt about it but let's not starting poking holes in the other seasons just to make this season seem worse than it already is. This season has gone about as bad is it could under the circumstances. 

Edited by OGIUAndy

34 minutes ago, ForHumanity said:

An example of stupidity at it's highest.

The best thing Woodson can do is not talk.

Let an assisstant coach take the mic.

Hid legacy is forever tarnished at IU.

23 minutes ago, ForHumanity said:

No IQ.

You know, the constant griping about Mike Woodson's coaching I take with a grain of salt, but acknowledge them as people's opinion...

Fine...

But saying stuff like the above really kinda gets me stirred up...

Mike Woodson has done more for Indiana University than anyone on this forum...Period...No contest...

Saying he's low IQ or stupid is unnecessary, especially from people whose accomplishments don't even come close to those of Coach Woodson...

Mike Woodson is a good man...I don't think that's even debatable...Question his coaching all you want...But belittling the man like the above makes me wonder about some...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, ForHumanity said:

You need to separate coaching from the person. I am not attacking him personally. I get he is a great person. That however, doesn't translate to a good coach. Do not twist my words as attacking him as a person!

Nothing I said or have said is on a personal level. His product on the floor, his comments in pressers backs up everything I said. He is not a good coach, period.

Let's not go beyond that wall.

How did I twist your words? I quoted you directly... Twice...No IQ or stupidity at it's highest aren't ringing endorsements... 

You didn't put it in basketball context, but even if that was the intention, it goes from sad to comical...

How has Woody fooled people like Larry Brown, Carmelo Anthony, and even our beloved Coach Knight all these years? Is he making Kreskin look like an amateur? 

Edited by IUFLA

49 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

You can't say year 4 looks worse until you see the roster, imo it will probably be better. And "luckily made the tournament"? You are either in or not. So is it "unluckily" not making the tournament when you feel like you should have made it? This season stinks, no doubt about it but let's not starting poking holes in the other seasons just to make this season seem worse than it already is. This season has gone about as bad is it could under the circumstances. 

As you watch mid major conference tournaments just think there are multiple 🐁 McFaddens or Lance Jones/Domask ready to step into Candy Stripes 

From Collins' post game comments:

They've had 8 days off to prepare for us, and we were on the East Coast with a real dogfight of a game at Rutgers Thursday night and then real minimal prep for this game. This game was a testament to these guys' will. We had a lineup on the floor in the end of the first half that never in my wildest imagination thought that would be on the floor at Indiana in a late season game that we needed to win. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

38 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I have zero problem with Woody calling guys out.  That's what his coach did.  However, what I do have a problem with is auto starting those same guys you are calling out the next game.  Sit them on the bench to start.  Send them a message.  Woody's coach would have done that too.  

Said it from first game.

Do these guys like each other?

Is anyone held accountable for lack of effort, defense or rebounding?

Promising playing time to players to leap frog to NBA is a joke…..MP & Ivey 😡

1 minute ago, Purdue7 said:

Said it from first game.

Do these guys like each other?

Is anyone held accountable for lack of effort, defense or rebounding?

Promising playing time to players to leap frog to NBA is a joke…..MP & Ivey 😡

WARE: You got to box out more and crack down on the big when I go to like block a shot. Just got to work on rebounding more. 

Collins: They have one of the elite shot blockers in the country in Kel'el Ware. What happens with an elite shot blocker is he comes over to block everything. One of the things we talked about with our bigs is to be ready on the back side because if he isn't able to block it, you're a free rebounder. That's why our guy was able to get rebounds and finish the plays. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

WARE: You got to box out more and crack down on the big when I go to like block a shot. Just got to work on rebounding more. 

Collins: They have one of the elite shot blockers in the country in Kel'el Ware. What happens with an elite shot blocker is he comes over to block everything. One of the things we talked about with our bigs is to be ready on the back side because if he isn't able to block it, you're a free rebounder. That's why our guy was able to get rebounds and finish the plays. 

👍  NW is as physical as any team in Big Ten.  Gotta match them or it’s a long day 

Gunn makes that 3?

Ball doesn’t find Nicholson who flips it in ?

Honestly thought you guys were gonna pull it out 

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I have zero problem with Woody calling guys out.  That's what his coach did.  However, what I do have a problem with is auto starting those same guys you are calling out the next game.  Sit them on the bench to start.  Send them a message.  Woody's coach would have done that too.  

There are "three" issues I have with Woody this season:

1. This^^ Starting the same guys no matter how well they are playing or the matchups (and automatically starting Cupps just because he's the only natural PG behind X, and I do think Cupps will be good).
2. Leaving an open scholarship and overloading the roster with forwards (Sparks and Walker, only needed one) via the portal instead of loading up on shooters/guards.
3. Not pushing the team to play faster and/or playing with smaller lineups. 

Lots of things have gone wrong (lack of shooting being the most obvious), but I think these are my biggest complaints if I was making a list to send to Woody.

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

How did I twist your words? I quoted you directly... Twice...No IQ or stupidity at it's highest aren't ringing endorsements... 

You didn't put it in basketball context, but even if that was the intention, it goes from sad to comical...

How has Woody fooled people like Larry Brown, Carmelo Anthony, and even our beloved Coach Knight all these years? Is he making Kreskin look like an amateur? 

This is a basketball forum…discussing Mike Woodsons coaching ability and what he is saying in his pressers. Of course he was calling him out about his basketball decision making. He even told you he was only talking about his basketball coaching…and you don’t want to take him at his word…then you take a personal attack on every person on this board by saying Mike Woodson has done more and is more important alum of Indiana then anyone else on here….yet you don’t know 90% of this board. You think dribbling and shooting a basketball made Mike more important than the professors on this board that taught and touched countless of IU students lives, those that got law degrees and have represented IU in law circles, those with science degrees that helped IU with important research, doctors who saved lives and represented the university and countless others in business etc etc all made contributions to the school either by inspiring others to go there or directly with their work for or while at IU? Lots of people like that on this board…so I think you made it personal not him.  

We may all need a cooling off period as there is only so much a fanbase can take so sometimes the piling on goes to far…but let’s not confuse calling out Mike and his poor job both on the floor and in the media with a personal attack on his character.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, OGIUAndy said:

Ok, let rephrase it as of right now . next season doesn't look good. I have no faith in Woodson to get enough in the portal to make us a lot better 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

It’s a great point…IU players are extremely lazy. No one talks and no one helps. That point is exactly right…guys got to see Ware going for a block and take his man instead of standing and watching….we give up tons of 3s…which means long rebounds so we all have to block out and attack the boards instead of watching the bigs rebound and then seeing the long board go over their head we aren’t as guards in position….we just don’t play hard. To me this has been the IU issue for a long time. They think with the name on the front of the jersey and the media attention and the NIL now they are all pre-madonas….its all about nba and themselves and no one playing for each other. Think they have all made it but in reality they get out worked by much lesser athletes and teams who want it more, who have a chip on their shoulder…this is a team full of Zack Wilson’s (Jets qb) and no Tom Brady’s or Aaron Rodgers who had something to prove.

43 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

From Collins' post game comments:

They've had 8 days off to prepare for us, and we were on the East Coast with a real dogfight of a game at Rutgers Thursday night and then real minimal prep for this game. This game was a testament to these guys' will. We had a lineup on the floor in the end of the first half that never in my wildest imagination thought that would be on the floor at Indiana in a late season game that we needed to win. 

So Mike Woodson didn’t get outcoached by Collins…he actually got outcoached by no one…they didn’t even prepare for us…short manned…and worn out. Tells me all I need to know about IU staff. Takes no effort or preparation on the opposite side to get their team ready to beat us.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

This is a basketball forum…discussing Mike Woodsons coaching ability and what he is saying in his pressers. Of course he was calling him out about his basketball decision making. He even told you he was only talking about his basketball coaching…and you don’t want to take him at his word…then you take a personal attack on every person on this board by saying Mike Woodson has done more and is more important alum of Indiana then anyone else on here….yet you don’t know 90% of this board. You think dribbling and shooting a basketball made Mike more important than the professors on this board that taught and touched countless of IU students lives, those that got law degrees and have represented IU in law circles, those with science degrees that helped IU with important research, doctors who saved lives and represented the university and countless others in business etc etc all made contributions to the school either by inspiring others to go there or directly with their work for or while at IU? Lots of people like that on this board…so I think you made it personal not him.  

We may all need a cooling off period as there is only so much a fanbase can take so sometimes the piling on goes to far…but let’s not confuse calling out Mike and his poor job both on the floor and in the media with a personal attack on his character.

Ok, "Mike Woodson has done more for Indiana University than the vast majority of people on this forum."

Feel better?

And that's not a personal attack at all... It's simply the truth...

I've seen Woodson called lazy and stupid, regardless of the context a little too often for me to stomach...if rebutting that sort of ignorance rubs you the wrong way, sorry... 

Leadership is tough... Sometimes you make decisions that are wrong... But that doesn't make you lazy or stupid... I've expressed where I think Coach Woodson made his mistakes... 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Purdue7 said:

As you watch mid major conference tournaments just think there are multiple 🐁 McFaddens or Lance Jones/Domask ready to step into Candy Stripes 

Speaking of Jones and Domask. How did Mullins finish 3rd in the MVC with those 2 last year?