Northwestern Post Game Thread

KDB

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

We’ve done it both ways and failed….Sampson, Crean, Archie all not Knight related…Woody was a Knight player but he wasn’t a disciple…meaning coached under him. But I agree…just fine the most proven winner that has the best track record in building and sustaining a program….no matter who it is. Coach Knight had no connection to IU before he got here so why should the next have to be.

I mean, we even had a “disciple” in Dakich as an intern, but he was perhaps the worst… even in such a short timeframe. Just need to pay someone who can change the entire perception of our program over the last quarter century.

36 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think it will s time for the fans who are done with Woodson to make their voices heard. Not just on message boards and social media but to the actual decision makers. Like my Political Science Professor said, if you don't vote then you have no right to complain about what is happening. So get out their and join me in emailing the administration and let your voice he heard. I haven't emailed Dolson since the PSU game and probably won't until the season ends.

I’ve never written to an Athletic Director but I will be writing to Dolson at the very least at the end of the BTT.

I do agree that “strength in numbers” is key. 
It will eat at Dolson spending his work day and free time writing replies to everyone. Apathy won’t be enough. 

I won’t be writing an angry email and hurling insults at him and blaming him for everything. Just want to reach out to be transparent that if we don’t make a change, I will not be buying any game tickets or donating to the university. I know I’m not alone in that feeling. We can’t have both the older generation and new generation of IU alums feeling indifferent towards the program as we head into an expanding Big Ten Conference. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

The Old Guard can no longer say they were ignored. This is their hire and our coaching is a disaster 

lol.  How many years later?  And by the way, this "Old Guard" guy wanted Knight replaced a few years before he was fired.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

They play better when they pick up the pace and get into their offense faster. If you're not a very good shooting team you have to beat/challenge teams with pace which will also get you more open looks. Their bigs can run, they need to start running. This team isn't as bad as their record. Gunn is starting to turn a corner a bit. I would like to see him play more. Woody needs to change things up. If he really wants to be the coach for a couple (or whatever) more years, he needs to make more adjustments earlier in the game. When they cut the lead to one point he should have started pressuring NW and gone with a smaller lineup. When you don't have shooters to bail you out you can't take the entire shot clock to run your offense; puts a lot of pressure on the bigs to make every basket. 

I agree that this team is better than their record. I just can't fathom why we play a style of basketball that doesn't translate into improvements/wins. As you've said when we push pace we've done well. Moving down hill allows us to do things we can't do in the traditional half court offense. Throughout the year when we pickup the tempo the offense creates mis-matches resulting in fouls and or baskets for the bigs. Additionally, our offensive rebounding improves because our bigs are matched with guards. The pick n roll has worked well for us too. All of these actions were performed with 8 minutes left in the 2nd half. Why we can't try these with 20 minutes to go in the first half I will never understand.  

Here's a simple play with Ware being the only big in the game with Galloway, Cupps and MgBako space out around the 3 point line. Walker cuts down the middle for an open dunk. Even if the defense were to rotate correctly preventing his dunk Mgbako or Galloway would have been open on the wing or the top of the key. 

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Thanks 1

Let’s be honest…Woodys only real fault today was losing on the same day Purdue did so we can’t even enjoy that. It only happens 3-4 times a year so if you aren’t going to even beat them you better at least win the night they finally lose…IU fans need something!!

Edited by dgambill

I’ll keep watching and supporting the team, but I can’t express how disappointing this season has been. We have some really good pieces, but are horrible as a team….12-21 at the FT line is inexcusable, and 66% for the season is horrendous. It’s not all on Woodson, but teaching basic fundamentals is a must, and right now we’re lacking in all areas. If we clean up our FT shooting, defensive rebounding and turnovers, we have a chance to be a really good next year with MgBacko, Reneau and McNeeley, but it all hinges on guard play, so the portal will be critical. We can’t swing and miss again on guards or next year will be a repeat of this season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

lol.  How many years later?  And by the way, this "Old Guard" guy wanted Knight replaced a few years before he was fired.

I wasn’t referring to you or any older fan/alum. I was referring to the Old Guard directly involved with the program…I.E., Quinn Buckner, Scott May, Isaiah Thomas, etc…Woodson is their guy.

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rico said:

I think that ship has sailed.

He has a $17 million buyout.

We need to identify a guy who has the ability to do about 20 years and then we need to hunker down for the rebuild.  This program still has its fans, but from the perspective of its perception outside of the fanbase, out administration has burned it to the ground.

This is a complete rebuild.  You can get "good" out of the portal but that won't be how you build a program.  You need to recruit HS kids and you need some continuity.  The time to hire a Pearl was back when Archie was hired.

Hopefully they have a winner identified.  I don't know if that is may or one of the half a dozen names that get brought up regularly here, but this is going to be a rebuild.  We need someone that can articulate a plan and we need the AD to stop pumping things up like we are a Top 10 team every year.  We need to have some sort of identity.  The identity I would apply to Indiana Basketball right now is soft and entitled.  That won't do.

• Like 1

Cupps thinks they're quick. We've been watching all season. Anyone else think they are quick?

If anything, they have the slowest foot speed in conference and some of the weakest ball handling skills you will find assembled on one team.

They start two bigs who are slow and methodical with every movement. They also start a freshman in Mgbako who yesterday could not get around a slow 7'0 280 center off the dribble. Quick is not an accurate description.

The guards have so many holes in their games it's hard to imagine this team can win more than two games the rest of the season. Guys playing out of position, a freshman learning the game, and a guy who couldn't recognize a good shot to save his life. All forced into playing more than they should after one injury because they couldn't recruit anyone else that could help now.

It's a poorly constructed team. That's on the coaches. Just as bad, if not worse, they're making the same mistakes we witnessed in their exhibition games. Again, coaches. 

Edited by Euroclydon
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I think it will s time for the fans who are done with Woodson to make their voices heard. Not just on message boards and social media but to the actual decision makers. Like my Political Science Professor said, if you don't vote then you have no right to complain about what is happening. So get out their and join me in emailing the administration and let your voice he heard. I haven't emailed Dolson since the PSU game and probably won't until the season ends.

Does this sound familiar (because it should):

"No college or pro organization is going to hire or fire just because the fans want it to happen. That is the best way to get yourself fired. If they listen to fans the coach would he fired after every game. In the the pros a player would get traded after every bad game. "

3 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

Cupps thinks they're quick. We've been watching all season. Anyone else think they are quick?

If anything, they have the slowest foot speed in conference and some of the weakest ball handling skills you will find assembled on one team.

They start two bigs who are slow and methodical with every movement. They also start a freshman in Mgbako who yesterday could not get around a slow 7'0 280 center off the dribble. Quick is not an accurate description.

The guards have so many holes in their games it's hard to imagine this team can win more than two games the rest of the season. Guys playing out of position, a freshman learning the game, and a guy who couldn't recognize a good shot to save his life. All forced into playing more than they should after one injury because they couldn't recruit anyone else that could help now.

It's a poorly constructed team. That's on the coaches. Just as bad, if not worse, they're making the same mistakes we witnessed in their exhibition games. Again, coaches. 

Honesty, it’s hard for me to tell how quick and fast they’d be if they played with some fire and intensity.  At times, there’s a little more quickness and speed apparent in the last 50 second of games when they’re behind.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

Just a little alarming when our players admit that they don’t play with a sense or urgency or purpose until they’re getting their asses beat. 

FDA1C4B1-D064-461E-B195-1AB128EF6364.png

I also had to laugh about the NYK betting ad. That's Twitter these days. Filled with bots and ads in the replies. 

image.thumb.png.807e0dd4234132789883d10b3d1d7e2d.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, IUJoe said:

Honesty, it’s hard for me to tell how quick and fast they’d be if they played with some fire and intensity.  At times, there’s a little more quickness and speed apparent in the last 50 second of games when they’re behind.

I like Cupps. As a freshman, he shows leadership, growth and plays up tempo and with energy.  Other than Trey, it’s got to be a challenge for Gabe when teammates are so slow and seem unable to make quick decisions.  We see malik dribbling in the paint, Ware losing balls with soft hands others stand around rather than grab a rebound.  Hopefully, next year Mgbako, Reneau and Cupps will all improve.    But with this staff, we’ll probably see inconsistent attention to good BB fundamentals. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Does this sound familiar (because it should):

"No college or pro organization is going to hire or fire just because the fans want it to happen. That is the best way to get yourself fired. If they listen to fans the coach would he fired after every game. In the the pros a player would get traded after every bad game. "

I did say that and I am not saying emailing them will lead to a change. Just saying make your voice heard and let them no of your concerns. Also I was more talking about the hiring process when stating don't hire someone just because the fans wants them.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I did say that and I am not saying emailing them will lead to a change. Just saying make your voice heard and let them no of your concerns. Also I was more talking about the hiring process when stating don't hire someone just because the fans wants them.

angry-mob.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1