Michigan State Pregame Thread

Here's my pregame thought. I want to pound MSU and Izzo into the ground. There are teams I dislike more but Izzo and Cal are neck and neck for the coaches I despise most.

Plus I'd love nothing more than to see us both at 10-10, having the tiebreaker in conference tourney and yet Sparty still ahead 70+ spots in the NET.

Hopefully a great crowd for the final go for a few of the guys....and likely several others. 

• Like 2

When: Sunday March 10th 4:30 PM EST

Where: Simon-Skjotd Assembly Hall, Bloomington, Indiana

TV: CBS

Veteran coach Tom Izzo in his 29th year (705-292) brings his Spartans (18-12 10-9) into SSAH to battle our Hoosiers in the regular season finale for both teams. MSU had lost 3 in a row, including 2 at home, before knocking off a hobbled Northwestern team on Wednesday. 

image.png.4f1cd1fa5be743dc963179be575711a4.png

image.png.3b25ebfd51a0c5669aed623ec69e5b78.png

image.png.1d1c9c8f4b60b5595078736b7f4926ac.png

The Spartans are led by 6'0 senior guard Tyson Walker (18 ppg 36% from 3). Walker is a 3 level scorer that can run hot and cold, but if he gets hot, watch out. 6'7 senior forward Malik Hall has been playing well, averaging over 15 ppg and shooting 54% from the field and 44% from 3. He also leads the team with 6 rpg. Smooth shooting junior lefty Jaden Akins (11 ppg 37% from 3) and senior AJ Hoggard (11 ppg 32% from 3) join Walker in a 3 guard set. 6'9 senior Mady Sissoko mans the 5 spot. Sophomores Carson Cooper and Jaxon Kohler along with 5 star freshman Xavier Booker, who tied his career high with 11 points against Purdue a couple of games ago, provide frontcourt depth. Freshman Coen Carr, who is probably the most athletic player in the Big 10, gets about 12 minutes per game. Trey Holloman, who's is greatly improved from his freshman season provides backcourt depth. 

Michigan State is your typical Izzo team. They'll fight for everything. I think we have a superior frontcourt, but with Reneau having to guard Hall it could mean early foul trouble. The other matchup to worry about, would be Mac on Akins. Mac has gotten better guarding the perimeter, but Akins is very quick, and has a quick release on his shot...

Very winnable game for us, as Sparty hasn't been playing well  down the stretch. Hopefully a good, loud crowd can energize us, and we can grow the winning to 4 and head into the BTT with some momentum...

GO HOOSIERS! 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I'm not turning this game on and I hope there is an abundance of open seats. Better stuff to do on a Sunday. 

Same here. I was excited to watch the game until the events of the last 48 hours. Now? Nope. No way. 

Plenty of IU women's basketball and baseball to watch this weekend anyways. Go IU!

• Like 4

Just now, bronkonagurski said:

Same here. I was excited to watch the game until the events of the last 48 hours. Now? Nope. No way. 

Plenty of IU women's basketball and baseball to watch this weekend anyways. Go IU!

Yuuup. DHer on Sunday against a good Troy squad. 

Big time "mid week" next week, as well. Not only do we have to go Vandy, we get ILL St at home on Wed. 5 games in 5 days. 

• Like 1

Not going to watch the game or the Big  Tourney. I am done with this dysfunctional shi? show. Hopefully before I die the BOT and whoever else is involved in this mess are flushed down the toilet with the rest of the sewage. 

INDIANA SUCKS!

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Coach just said on Zoom that not sure if Galloway or Leal will be taking part in Senior Day stuff. Probably just keeping it close. Hope the Hoosiers finish this crazy frickin year in style and get a W.

3 minutes ago, ForHumanity said:

Sounds like Dolson talked them into staying another year since Liam bolted. 

Hopefully Dolson steps in and takes control of this mess.  Uses the NIL arm to keep the core of the team together while he goes and gets a pearl in the next few weeks.  Of Auburns top 5 players only one is out of eligibility.  This can be fixed relatively easy.  Woodson has to retire.  

I don't doubt Mbako coming back also played a roll in Liam.  Just a convenient excuse/timing instead of saying he didn't want to compete for time at the 3.

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Hopefully Dolson steps in and takes control of this mess.  Uses the NIL arm to keep the core of the team together while he goes and gets a pearl in the next few weeks.  Of Auburns top 5 players only one is out of eligibility.  This can be fixed relatively easy.  Woodson has to retire.  

I don't doubt Mbako coming back also played a roll in Liam.  Just a convenient excuse/timing instead of saying he didn't want to compete for time at the 3.

I don’t buy the Mgbako excuse… except of course if he’s convinced we’re going to continue playing two bigs. Which why wouldn’t he be?

I will be watching like usual hoping for a win. Last game was the first game in the last couple of weeks I could actually enjoy the game. Knowing he was coming back I was just rooting for a win instead hoping for a coaching change.

not saying i have a ton of confidence in this team, but MSU is just not that great this year.  they have been very unimpressive their last 4 games.  29% chance to beat them at the Hall?  i never know where to look for the line.  where does that stand right now?  still so curious how we come out with the negative publicity in the media.  could definitely go either way.   

Haha... Too many detractors. 

Has this season been great? NO!!! Has this season been average? NO!!! Has this season been below average and possibly a dumpster fire? YES!!! Agreed 100%.

I for one will not let down those athletes trying their hardest (some of you DEFINITELY disagree) on the court. I will always support their efforts despite the coaching staff.

Those of you that want Mike Woodson fired, fine. I get it. Just please do not take it out on the team on a BBall game thread.

Stop being trolls, support the players, hate the coach staff/admin/BOT all you want on a different forum/thread. But please, leave your animosity there.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, JHS4DAWIN said:

Haha... Too many detractors. 

Has this season been great? NO!!! Has this season been average? NO!!! Has this season been below average and possibly a dumpster fire? YES!!! Agreed 100%.

I for one will not let down those athletes trying their hardest (some of you DEFINITELY disagree) on the court. I will always support their efforts despite the coaching staff.

Those of you that want Mike Woodson fired, fine. I get it. Just please do not take it out on the team on a BBall game thread.

Stop being trolls, support the players, hate the coach staff/admin/BOT all you want on a different forum/thread. But please, leave your animosity there.

I agree with supporting the players,,,,especially those giving effort consistently.  But, i admit that doing it isn't as automatic for me because they are now earning $$$ and we have no idea h0w much.  The big paycheck recipients should be fine with vocal criticism, if they don't give 100% or represent IU in a positive light.