2024/2025 portal/late decommits IU is interested in

4 minutes ago, Paye32 said:

Worst case scenario give 5th year Senior Anthony Leal those 15 mpg and we're still good imo.

Differing opinions but I think if Leal is playing 15mpg then we didn’t address our shooting needs. Regardless, I think Woodson addresses the issue. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hoosier987 said:

Differing opinions but I think if Leal is playing 15mpg then we didn’t address our shooting needs. Regardless, I think Woodson addresses the issue. 

He shot 47% from three last year. Just need to get him more shots.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Hoosier987 said:

I love that Leal had some good games last year. There was a lot of ‘I told you so’ after those games. BUT, my concern before the year started was not necessarily whether he could or couldn’t contribute. I thought IF we truly needed his minutes (which we did), then we were going to be in deep doo doo. That it probably would mean that CJ Gunn and Banks didn’t develop the way we hoped.

And that’s what happened. 

If Leal gets 15 mpg next year, something has gone wrong and we are probably a bubble team at best. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tom White said:

He shot 47% from three last year. Just need to get him more shots.

Leal’s not a high volume shooter, nor is he supposed to be…that’s not his role. Leal should not be playing significant minutes next year. If he is, then we didn’t address the needs like we hoped. 

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Leal’s not a high volume shooter, nor is he supposed to be…that’s not his role. Leal should not be playing significant minutes next year. If he is, then we didn’t address the needs like we hoped. 

Thst could be his role. If we have a couple dynamic guards, his role would be to run to the corner as fast as he can and stand there. They would absolutely have to guard him. Floor spacer. But he absolutely doesn't work in a 2 guard set. 

Edited by Paye32
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Paye32 said:

Thst could be his role. If we have a couple dynamic guards, his role would be to run to the corner as fast as he can and stand there. They would absolutely have to guard him. Floor spacer. 

Yes…the Miller Kopp stand in the corner role. Thats a low volume shooting role. 

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Rolls do change year to year. Leal doesn’t create his own shot, but if you have people who create shots for him, he can be a 5 ish attempt kind of catch and shoot guy

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

The "stand in the corner" role is pretty much what every single NBA team does on most plays. You're hoping that someone with the ball actually moves it via passing or penetrating. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Depends. If Ballo demands a double team from opponents, similar to Edey,there may be a ton of shots for a guy like Leal. Depends on the defensive scheme of opponents. Fletcher Loyer was a high volume shooter this season but I suspect he'll have far fewer open shots next year, and will take less..Anyway, I agree that we need to find a better backup shooting guard and I think we will. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Rolls do change year to year. Leal doesn’t create his own shot, but if you have people who create shots for him, he can be a 5 ish attempt kind of catch and shoot guy

I agree roles change year to year but if Anthony Leal’s role changes to where he’s putting up an average of 4x the amount of shots he did on average last year then he either made an ungodly type of leap in skill or we didn’t address our needs. It’s a moot point anyway because more than likely, Leal won’t be seeing huge minutes and we will fill our backup guard spot with someone better.

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Paye32 said:

Depends. If Ballo demands a double team from opponents, similar to Edey,there may be a ton of shots for a guy like Leal. Depends on the defensive scheme of opponents. Fletcher Loyer was a high volume shooter this season but I suspect he'll have far fewer open shots next year, and will take less..Anyway, I agree that we need to find a better backup shooting guard and I think we will. 

Agreed. I do as well.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

I totally agree. Not a knock on Leal, but he’s a reluctant shooter, and that’s not what we need. Hickman is an in your face shooter.

Edited by Hoosier4Life53
  • Like 2

If the rumors are true about Carlyle committing soon then I never thought Hickman and Conwell would come here. Also the same with Payne if Ballo commits. If Carlyle and Ballo commits I think it will start getting harder to fill the rest of the openings. The top portal prospects will want to go somewhere where they can be a starter so will guys like Conwell or Payne will have interest coming off the bench.

I think for the back up guard roles we have to hope guys like Cupps and Newton can come in next year and play a big role coming off the bench. I think we need to look at the backup 4 and 5 position through the portal. It will still be hard to bring in some of the better portal prospects to fill those positions. That is why it might be guys lol me the Evansville or the guy from Grace to fill them.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 4