2024/2025 portal/late decommits IU is interested in

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Connor Essegian will be visiting tomorrow

I think if the Carlyle kid commits then him or a player like Blackman is about as good as you can expect given playing time to offer but us being able to offset that with likely a bigger NIL paycheck. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think if the Carlyle kid commits then him or a player like Blackman is about as good as you can expect given playing time to offer but us being able to offset that with likely a bigger NIL paycheck. 

There are tons of mins to be had. We didnt go to the final four. not trying to sound snippy like it reads. 😃

40 minutes ago, Indykev said:

There are tons of mins to be had. We didnt go to the final four. not trying to sound snippy like it reads. 😃

If Carlyle commits this weekend then we will have Trey and a Mc Donald’s All American coming off the bench. I think playing time is starting to get tight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

I know.  It just feels like it's out of control and needs a major correction.  Paying a kid $1.2 million to play ball while he gets his degree just seems plain crazy/irrational.  I'll never love it, but I'll accept a rational system

So you accepted an irrational NCAA gestapo system but not an NIL system that is market value based? That’s hypocritical. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Victobmyboy said:

So you accepted an irrational NCAA gestapo system but not an NIL system that is market value based? That’s hypocritical. 

Understand your point. But, i wish those getting big $$$ would be required to stay a minimum 2 years.  The pendulum has swung too far imo.   

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Indykev said:

If we land Carlyle I don’t see many minutes left after adding Rice. You need minutes for the incoming freshman Tucker, Galloway and Mgbako who both played major minutes, and Cupps won’t sit back and give his away. Probably looking at one more guard that would play 8-10 a game likely. 

3 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

They had ample time to make an alternative. They chose not to. 

I don’t think the current model is sustainable…I suspect it will change in the not so distant future. But that’s a topic for another thread.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

No professional league could survive under the current transfer/NIL regime 

Really? The English Premiere League seems to be doing very well. European soccer leagues have 2 transfer windows a year. Very similar to a transfer portal. To try and have financial fair play they can spend what their revenue is. But that’s a more recent phenomenon. NFL didn’t have a salary cap until the 90’s. Baseball doesn’t have a salary cap that’s capped. Any team can go over and pay an extra tax. US sports leagues have player unions which colleges players don’t have yet. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Really? The English Premiere League seems to be doing very well. European soccer leagues have 2 transfer windows a year. Very similar to a transfer portal. To try and have financial fair play they can spend what their revenue is. But that’s a more recent phenomenon. NFL didn’t have a salary cap until the 90’s. Baseball doesn’t have a salary cap that’s capped. Any team can go over and pay an extra tax. US sports leagues have player unions which colleges players don’t have yet. 

Which league has 100% free agency, no salary cap, no salary tax and no employment contracts? Also the teams/league don’t make the rules?

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Which league has 100% free agency, no salary cap, no salary tax and no employment contracts? Also the teams/league don’t make the rules?

The NCAA is just the organization universities created to set the rules. The issue is the universities through the NCAA set rules that have been deemed to be illegal. To solve the issue you need a players union and the athletes to be recognized as labor/employees.  Vermont basketball is attempting to make this happen now. Until there is a union you can’t collectively bargain to have rules. But the universities don’t want to share revenue until that have to so they are dragging their feet and letting the entity they set up be the bad guy punching bag.  

But to your point the is no issue imo with NIL and its sustainable. Even if IU has 0 money to spend on NIL there will be players that will come play. IU might finish last in the conference every year but the system is sustainable for however much any school wants to spend. Nobody is forcing schools to pay anything. They are choosing too. Before NIL other programs paid with no limit and won championships  now that’s it’s open to everyone it’s a problem? And to be honest the billionaires footing the NIL bill aren’t even making a dent in what they make a year. This is a rounding error to them. So in that light it is sustainable.  You might not like it but it’s totally sustainable.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosierdave said:

Is the staff still pursuing Conwell or should we emotionally move on? 

Saw he was visiting Ohio St, who already has Thornton/Johnson as their backcourt.

I would probably move on. I just don’t see him showing much interest in IU

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Victobmyboy said:

🤣🤣🤣 That's not even remotely market-based.  Ever heard of the term irrational exuberance? 

2 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

No professional league could survive under the current transfer/NIL regime 

Exactly.

• Like 1

IU doesn't make any sense for Conwell now for what he's looking for not to mention there is negative recruiting going against IU when it comes to the other teams involved with him. The reality is that Rice, Carlyle, Galloway, Mgbako, and Tucker will all be getting a lot of minutes and that's not counting any other guards/wings that will get minutes. IU will add a shooter or 2 but it won't be someone at the level of Conwell that's looking for a place to best set him up for an NBA opportunity. 

Edited by DC2345
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

IU doesn't make any sense for Conwell now for what he's looking for not to mention there is negative recruiting going against IU when it comes to the other teams involved with him. The reality is that Rice, Carlyle, Galloway, Mgbako, and Tucker will all be getting a lot of minutes and that's not counting any other guards/wings that will get minutes. IU will add a shooter or 2 but it won't be someone at the level of Conwell that's looking for a place to best set him up for an NBA opportunity. 

Is that because IU prioritized Carlyle over Conwell? Or did IU prioritize Carlyle only once it was apparent there wasn't going to be traction with Conwell?