2024/2025 portal/late decommits IU is interested in

10 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

That doesn't make the salaries and NIL amounts any less ridiculous 

The NIL situation is what it is.  People wanted to clutch their pearls and say "It's wrong to pay STUDENT-athletes" rather than realize that the big names were getting paid under the table anyway and put regulations in.  So now it's a bidding war, and the definition of "ridiculous" is in the same hands that are writing the checks. 

But just eliminating it and saying coaches can only make less than a McDonald's GM isn't the answer either.  They tried banning alcohol 100 years ago and people were drunker than ever.  Put a cap on salaries and it's just getting pushed to subterranean channels. 

But that'd be alright, as long as we didn't hear about it...right?

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Our fanbase would have FREAKED had we recruited either out of high school. 

Not me.  I have been at the point where we need more BBIQ and winners like coach cig says about football.  We need more players with smart tough play and BB IQ that are proven winners.  A lot of these low level kids have won state titles or been close.

• Like 2

Just now, RoadToZion said:

I had an account there which was the same name as this. Pretty sure I am banned. 

I thought you did.

NGL though, the comment/post sounded RIGHT up your alley. Which I found hilarious. You didn't guarantee anything with Conwell/Hickman and weren't saying anything "everyone" else was. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

That doesn't make the salaries and NIL amounts any less ridiculous 

I think you're twisting yourselves into knots over a feeling. What we 'feel' is right, wrong, too much or not enough does not correlate into what reality is. You have the right to complain about it, but at the end of the day it's irrelevant. College athletic departments make a LOT of money. Good coaches and good players are in high demand because a winning product is lucrative for the athletic departments, the tv channels and the advertisers.. Thus, a percentage of this outrageously high revenue is paid to coaches and players. And rightfully so, I mean, they are the product everybody pays to see.

And even on top of all that, college basketball and football fund pretty much all other sports at their universities, giving athletes in other sports more opportunities. 

We - all the fanatics on this board - are a reason why the revenue is so high. If you 'feel' that there's too much money in college athletics then stop giving them money with your viewership. 

It's all about supply and demand. 

Just now, dwtaylor1055 said:

Malone scares me as first big off the bench, especially given Reneau foul issues

I think in this scenario-- Malone might be the first big off the bench, but the 3rd or 4th player off the bench. I think MM sliding over to the 4 is where the lineup will go when Malik or Ballo come out of the game. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think in this scenario-- Malone might be the first big off the bench, but the 3rd or 4th player off the bench. I think MM sliding over to the 4 is where the lineup will go when Malik or Ballo come out of the game. 

that is fair - MM able to slide to the 4 spot is/will be HUGE.    

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Malone scares me as first big off the bench, especially given Reneau foul issues

If Renau and Ballo both play 27-30mpg that would also give us the opportunity to go with a smaller lineup more times than not (20min+ per game). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

not comparing him to sparks but i just worry after seeing what sparks had to offer while playing well at Ball St then coming to the Big Ten he flopped.  Time will tell.  Certainly has upside 

This guy seems a bit more fleet of foot than Sparks and is shooting threes. I say bring it. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

This guy seems a bit more fleet of foot than Sparks and is shooting threes. I say bring it. 

12 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

He doesn't scare me at all

Only thing that confused me about this individual... why did he only play like 22-25 mins per game? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

not comparing him to sparks but i just worry after seeing what sparks had to offer while playing well at Ball St then coming to the Big Ten he flopped.  Time will tell.  Certainly has upside 

Completely different. Sparks was smaller and played below the rim more than he did anything else. Malone is 6'10 with a 7'4 wingspan. He shot 63% from the field, 37% from the 3 point line, and 81% from the FT line not to mention he dunks everything he can. There would be some adjustment going to D1 but his shooting will translate if nothing else. 

• Like 6