2024/2025 portal/late decommits IU is interested in

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

There's a reason that the old "company store" business model doesn't exist anymore.  Why? Because it sucks getting paid in scrip whenever there are people out there getting s**t rich in actual money from your efforts. 

Here is one thing that will not change: the media rights to college basketball/football generate huge amounts of dollars.  And we're not talking drips and drabs.  These are obscene amounts.  Scrooge McDuck money bin amounts. 

The university is making god knows how much.  Your coach and possibly even his top assistant are making 7 figures.  And you're supposed to put your body on the line in exchange for a scholarship that isn't going to cost the university even $100K over 4 years and have to live by rules where someone can't buy you a damn bagel?

"....I owe my soul to the company store......"

The concept of playing as a team and for each other isn't dead.  Look at the back to back seasons UConn has had.  99% of kids aren't asking for the whole pie, just their slice.  And believe it or not, even the bench players are getting paid and some are even doing some good with it.  Anthony Leal made enough NIL money in one year to pay off his sister's 4 years of student loans in full and have some left over. 

I understand the discrepancy between coaches salary and player's lack thereof

I think the fairness should have been coaches making less, not players making more.  

If colleges are swimming in that much cash, then reduce ticket prices, subsidize tuition for all students.   There wouldn't have been as much gripping if coaches were still making 5 figures.

The issue is competitive fairness and the fact that there is no fairness in the current setup. Colleges are just in bidding wars for the best players.

Edited by iuswingman
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

One other thing to note, Carlyle shot 42% from 3 in his first 12 games (he missed the first 8 games of the season due to academic reasons) and only 21% in his last 11 games...maybe another "freshman wall" thing, and there are questions surrounding his shot selection, but he sounds and looks like (limited highlights) a really good player with an enormous upside...he's already on some NBA draft boards...

Good point about the freshman wall.  It is a real thing.  Let’s be honest, playing heavy minutes as a freshman is a tough adjustment and you can anticipate a big jump with experience.  How much easier is almost anything after you’ve been through it.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

I understand the discrepancy between coaches salary and player's lack thereof

I think the fairness should have been coaches making less, not players making more.  

If colleges are swimming in that much cash, then reduce ticket prices, subsidize tuition for all students.   There wouldn't have been as much gripping if coaches were still making 5 figures.

A) Putting up with that much media scrutiny and travel for 5 figures? These aren't the days of recruiting your own backyard and talking to newspaper reporters a few times a week.  Hell, I'd turn that down without thinking about it. 

B) And there'd be just as much complaining, if not more.  Asking a kid to put his body on the line in exchange for non-monetary compensation to generate revenue for the rest of the university so that other people can financially benefit but I'm not?

And that would just turn out like prohibition.  You're not going to stamp out anything, you're just going to funnel all the "unseemly" activity into illegal channels....much like it has been since the 1970s. 

Or would you rather have it "out of sight, out of mind" and just have the appearance of an idyllic arcadia on display?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

Is there any reason to expect Carlyle not to commit this weekend? I'm assuming that is what he is waiting for. Not sure if will want to think it over for a few days, take another visit, etc,

read this thread, to some he has....😉

3 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

Maybe Conwell is butt hurt we didn’t go after him sooner as in previous years, high school, beginning of portal this year. 

I would be surprised if that’s it.  Rabjohns is saying that other schools recruiting him are using negative recruiting to show him IU’s numbers with guard shooting.   The actual data is what we have to overcome.  

• Like 3

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

I would be surprised if that’s it.  Rabjohns is saying that other schools recruiting him are using negative recruiting to show him IU’s numbers with guard shooting.   The actual data is what we have to overcome.  

All the other coaches: IU hasn't had anyone that can shoot in the last 3 years

Woodson: See why we need you? You'd be a staple for us, not a "nice to have". 

Salesmanship 101. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

A) Putting up with that much media scrutiny and travel for 5 figures? These aren't the days of recruiting your own backyard and talking to newspaper reporters a few times a week.  Hell, I'd turn that down without thinking about it. 

B) And there'd be just as much complaining, if not more.  Asking a kid to put his body on the line in exchange for non-monetary compensation to generate revenue for the rest of the university so that other people can financially benefit but I'm not?

And that would just turn out like prohibition.  You're not going to stamp out anything, you're just going to funnel all the "unseemly" activity into illegal channels....much like it has been since the 1970s. 

Or would you rather have it "out of sight, out of mind" and just have the appearance of an idyllic arcadia on display?

A) You realize most people make 5 figures right?  and travel is only for a part of the year.   It wasn't that long ago that 6 figures was the norm for coaching and there was no shortage of coaches.

B) There are plenty of people that play sports for fun and there are plenty of students that would play for free tuition.

You act like playing basketball is a deadly or even dangerous occupation.  I can think of much more dangerous occupations that pay less.

Edited by iuswingman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

not a shocker really. if you looked at our numbers, see who we signed would you come here if you were a shooter. nope.

1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

All the other coaches: IU hasn't had anyone that can shoot in the last 3 years

Woodson: See why we need you? You'd be a staple for us, not a "nice to have". 

Salesmanship 101. 

I was pounding the table on Conway as early as anyone so I am not going to walk it back now.  I truly think he’s the perfect starting two guard for us.  Tough kid, plays hard, good shooter.  I think he would go to the top of Woody’s favorite players if we were to get him. 

If Carlyle and Rice were a package deal and were sold on being a combo, then that’s smart recruiting through because you get two dynamic guys in here.  

But I do think Conwell would start and Carlyle would have still gotten heavy minutes in a rotation since he can come in at either guard spot.  If we want to really go for it, that would be a very strong team.  

I do hope though that Woody can get the bad shot selection out of Carlyle.  Let’s get back to smart Indiana basketball.  Woody is part of that.  We should have enough depth to deal with that.  It makes the players better for their own good.   

8 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

A) You realize most people make 5 figures right?  and travel is only for a part of the year.   It wasn't that long ago that 6 figures was the norm.

You realize that most people aren't being written about on both broadcast and social media, with every one of your decisions past and present being scrutinized and criticized, right? Living in a fishbowl with all kinds of public pressure warrants compensation beyond the norm. 

And this is going to sound harsh, but of course there are students that would play for free.....but if they had the talent to be a scholarship athlete, odds are they already would be.  Or, if you're think you're good enough, walk on and see if you can get a chance to not only play for free but make a little bit in addition.  Just because someone would do a job for less money doesn't mean they're more qualified than the person that makes more.

You act like playing basketball is a deadly or even deadly occupation.  I can think of much more dangerous occupations that pay less.

Of course there are.  But right, wrong or indifferent, those jobs aren't in as high demand, or else they'd be compensated as such. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Our fanbase would have FREAKED had we recruited either out of high school. 

It's like the conversation around McKinley Wright. He was a three star recruit, ranked in the 200s on the 247 Composite. Had he come to IU he would have been the lowest rated recruit of the entire Archie era. But he blows up at Colorado, so we get people who still to this day are convinced Wright would have changed the entire arc of Archie's tenure, and it's the IU administration that tied his hands.

4 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

You realize that most people aren't being written about on both broadcast and social media, with every one of your decisions past and present being scrutinized and criticized, right? Living in a fishbowl with all kinds of public pressure warrants compensation beyond the norm. 

And this is going to sound harsh, but of course there are students that would play for free.....but if they had the talent to be a scholarship athlete, odds are they already would be.  Or, if you're think you're good enough, walk on and see if you can get a chance to not only play for free but make a little bit in addition.  Just because someone would do a job for less money doesn't mean they're more qualified than the person that makes more.

Fishbowl doesn't require 7 figures and being paid more than doctors.  Bidding wars is the only reason they get paid ridiculous amounts.  If every school decided they would stick with 6 figures, there would be complaining but very few are taking a pay cut to change professions.

Obviously the talent wouldn't be as good but quit pretending no one would play for just a free education.  

Edited by iuswingman

Regarding Indiana State, I posted this a couple of months ago, but I think they probably would have finished third in the B1G.  Granted, it was a pathetic league this year, but after Purdue and Illinois, I think they were better.  They got totally screwed by big school bias in the tourney.  The proof is basically that all their starters are switching out to big schools. So, by definition, they had big school talent.  Kent and Larry moved to Texas.  Duke and a host of other big schools mentioned with Avila.  We know about Conwell.  Etc. 

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Fishbowl doesn't require 7 figures and being paid more than doctors.  Bidding wars is the only reason they get paid ridiculous amounts.  If every school decided they would stick with 6 figures, there would be complaining but very few are taking a pay cut to change professions.

Obviously the talent wouldn't be as good but quit pretending no one would play for just a free education.  

Supply and demand my friend. There are more doctors than elite basketball players. Not saying it’s right but as someone who works in healthcare I’d rather pay to watch basketball than go see a doctor.  lol. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

I didn't say nobody would.  I said there are a bunch that would.....but if they had the talent to be a scholarship athlete, odds are they already would be.  That's the whole "Just because someone that is willing to do a job for less doesn't make them more qualified than someone making more" comes in. 

If every school decided they would stick with 6 figures

"Hey coach, I know there's a cap of $999,999 for salaries, but if you come coach at my alma mater, we can hook you up for an extra $750,000 a year doing 'advertisements' for our network of *insert business here*. Wink wink nudge nudge."

And don't say it wouldn't happen, because it has.  Rollie Massimino at UNLV is one that we know about, and that was in 1991....you know...."back in the good old days when this stuff didn't happen". 

But hey.....if it wasn't freely talked about, it must not have happened. 🙄

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I didn't say nobody would.  I said there are a bunch that would.....but if they had the talent to be a scholarship athlete, odds are they already would be.  That's the whole "Just because someone that is willing to do a job for less doesn't make them more qualified than someone making more" comes in. 

"Hey coach, I know there's a cap of $999,999 for salaries, but if you come coach at my alma mater, we can hook you up for an extra $750,000 a year doing 'advertisements' for our network of *insert business here*. Wink wink nudge nudge."

And don't say it wouldn't happen, because it has.  Rollie Massimino at UNLV is one that we know about, and that was in 1991....you know...."back in the good old days when this stuff didn't happen". 

But hey.....if it wasn't freely talked about, it must not have happened. 🙄

That doesn't make the salaries and NIL amounts any less ridiculous 

• Confused 1

52 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Good point about the freshman wall.  It is a real thing.  Let’s be honest, playing heavy minutes as a freshman is a tough adjustment and you can anticipate a big jump with experience.  How much easier is almost anything after you’ve been through it.  

Also another year of maturity makes a big difference.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Feathery said:

Surprised you even have a lawn for ppl to get off of. All the alimony you have to pay with 9 ex wives. 

Let’s be clear his lawn is full or crabgrass and rocks.  He pretty much lives on a cement yard with weeds and rocks all over.  But the tenth wife grew up in a rock quarry so she’s happy.

13 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

That doesn't make the salaries and NIL amounts any less ridiculous 

Why are you offended for how much someone else is getting paid? Paid by people with the disposable income to pay them. It’s not coming out of the universities pockets. And the university is making over $140 mil a year off the football and basketball teams.