March Madness 2024

“Two years ago, believing his program had reached the verge of a breakthrough, Hurley overhauled UConn’s offense. Hurley barricaded himself in an office with assistants Luke Murray and Kimani Young, studying offensive sets from all corners of the basketball world, particularly European leagues. They melded concepts from FIBA and the Golden State Warriors to create an offense based on side-to-side movement, intricate off-ball screens, quick passing and open space.”

“I’ve been studying the top offenses in the country in-depth for the past five years, and UConn’s combination of off-ball screening and ball movement within their sets and the number of sets that they run makes it the most complex offense that I’ve seen in that time,” according to Jordan Sperber, a former video coordinator at New Mexico State (h/t CJ Moore of The Athletic).

“It's not an accident that, according to CBB Analytics, “more than 76 percent of UConn's total field goal attempts during the regular season came from either three-point range or the restricted area.”

https://clutchpoints.com/why-uconn-will-beat-purdue-in-the-2024-national-championship-game

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

“Two years ago, believing his program had reached the verge of a breakthrough, Hurley overhauled UConn’s offense. Hurley barricaded himself in an office with assistants Luke Murray and Kimani Young, studying offensive sets from all corners of the basketball world, particularly European leagues. They melded concepts from FIBA and the Golden State Warriors to create an offense based on side-to-side movement, intricate off-ball screens, quick passing and open space.”

“I’ve been studying the top offenses in the country in-depth for the past five years, and UConn’s combination of off-ball screening and ball movement within their sets and the number of sets that they run makes it the most complex offense that I’ve seen in that time,” according to Jordan Sperber, a former video coordinator at New Mexico State (h/t CJ Moore of The Athletic).

“It's not an accident that, according to CBB Analytics, “more than 76 percent of UConn's total field goal attempts during the regular season came from either three-point range or the restricted area.”

https://clutchpoints.com/why-uconn-will-beat-purdue-in-the-2024-national-championship-game

Both teams went to analytics and overhauled how they play and how they practice. Painter brought in coaches from Baylor to help their 3pt shooting with new drills. Adapt or become extinct. Like the T-Woody.

IMG_2786.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, Courtsense2 said:

The keys to this game seem rather apparent.

If Clingan is on the bench with two with 12 min to play in H1, they are in trouble.

How do the PU guards stand up to some legit pressure?

With all due respect, you dont win the BigTen regular season and reach the national title game without every player/position facing legit pressure.

I do agree, UCONN may be next level. But the mantra that Purdue guards can't handle pressure has kinda been dismantled all season. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Courtsense2 said:

If Clingan is on the bench with two with 12 min to play in H1, they are in trouble.

Said it earlier and I'll say it again. Clingan doesn't get 3 fouls the whole game. Big Ten gets screwed as usual. Not that I really want our rival to win, but to me, if has been pretty obvious every time a BIG team makes the final they don't get the calls. See Illinois, Wisconsin, for example.

7 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

With all due respect, you dont win the BigTen regular season and reach the national title game without every player/position facing legit pressure.

I do agree, UCONN may be next level. But the mantra that Purdue guards can't handle pressure has kinda been dismantled all season. 

Didn't handle the pressure from NC St guards that well the other night

• Like 2

TKR and Jones will continue to be key players for Purdue. They are guys that will have opportunities tonight and it will come down to how they perform. UConn really doesn’t have a good matchup for TKR so I could see him doing some work against Karaban and it seems that Jones has been the guy left alone to shoot and he will get looks tonight. Those are my keys…of course outside whatever happens with the two bigs.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Didn't handle the pressure from NC St guards that well the other night

That's one player having a bad game. That does not override a picture painted through 40 games. 

And UCONN guards may ,and probably ly should, dominate. I don't thi k that means Purdue guards didn't handle pressure well. It would Ean UCONN is really really good..

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

UConn really doesn’t have a good matchup for TKR so I could see him doing some work against Karaban

That gate swings both ways...Karaban isn't going to be an easy guard for Kaufman-Renn

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Courtsense2 said:

That could easily happen to Edey as well…then what?

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

TKR and Jones will continue to be key players for Purdue. They are guys that will have opportunities tonight and it will come down to how they perform. UConn really doesn’t have a good matchup for TKR so I could see him doing some work against Karaban and it seems that Jones has been the guy left alone to shoot and he will get looks tonight. Those are my keys…of course outside whatever happens with the two bigs.

I don’t agree with your opinion about TKR and Karaban. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

That is fair.  I think we will find out what they are made of next year when the distraction is gone.

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That gate swings both ways...Karaban isn't going to be an easy guard for Renn-Kaufman

True…but I think Trey can move well enough to cover him. We shall see. No doubt Painter could go to GillIs instead. I think UConn guards can cover Purdue but if they have to start helping on Edey…well Purdue has shown they shoot much better than last year. They are a complete team…both of them really…so this could go either way. Should be a classic. All 64 teams in the tournament I think these are the two best equipped to beat each other.

Edited by dgambill