March Madness 2024

On 4/11/2024 at 7:45 PM, Stlboiler23 said:

Far from salty just having a conversation. How do you know we’re lacking?  Any proof there?  You think Kel’el Ware comes to IU if you guys didn’t open up the checkbook?  I think tradition matters for high school recruits more than portal guys tbh. 

You think we have the checkbook without the tradition? 

2 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

You think we have the checkbook without the tradition? 

I don’t think they’re mutually exclusive. Look at a school like Illinois. They’ve got robust NIL and have a history like Purdue’s not IU. Plenty of NIL heavy hitters don’t have better tradition than an IU or Purdue. All it takes is a John Ruiz at Miami to buy a Nijel Pack for example. Definitely helps having an alum like a Cuban or Ishbia for MSU that’s for sure. 

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I don’t think they’re mutually exclusive. Look at a school like Illinois. They’ve got robust NIL and have a history like Purdue’s not IU. Plenty of NIL heavy hitters don’t have better tradition than an IU or Purdue. All it takes is a John Ruiz at Miami to buy a Nijel Pack for example. Definitely helps having an alum like a Cuban or Ishbia for MSU that’s for sure. 

I like you boiler.  You’re are cards fan and sometimes reasonable, but sometimes you are exhausting.  There are always exceptions, but focus on the rule.  Generally speaking, no win = no fans = no media = no 💵.   With that, IU’s tank is starting to run low.  The RMK years are only going to last for so much longer, then generations will die off with the younger ones loyalty being less or going elsewhere.  It’s why we are at such a crossroads with our program. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IUALUM03 said:

I like you boiler.  You’re are cards fan and sometimes reasonable, but sometimes you are exhausting.  There are always exceptions, but focus on the rule.  Generally speaking, no win = no fans = no media = no 💵.   With that, IU’s tank is starting to run low.  The RMK years are only going to last for so much longer, then generations will die off with the younger ones loyalty being less or going elsewhere.  It’s why we are at such a crossroads with our program. 

I don’t disagree with any of that and think you make a lot of good points. But at the same time, NIL has evened up the playing field for teams that couldn’t compete before (see Miami for example). It’ll be interesting to see what the portal/NIL looks like once the COVID year is gone after this upcoming season. 

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

That was 3 coaches ago….but yeah…that’s a long time….and we’ve had only one top 5 finish since then. For the kids we are recruiting they were like 10 years old.

In general it’s been 8 years since a B1G title. Never won a B1G tourney and over 20years since a title game and over 30 since a championship. For a school that’s suppose to be known for its bball that’s not pretty.

We just have different definitions of the term then. 8 years ago means a 17 year old recruit was 9. That’s close enough to be in their active memory. Two of the stars of that team (OG and TBry) are still in the league. 

Maybe not exactly our best stretch, but it’s not nothing. Only 3 teams have won outright B10 championships since: Purdue, Michigan State and Michigan. (Illinois, Wisconsin and Maryland all had shares of one). 

15 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

That’s close enough to be in their active memory. Two of the stars of that team (OG and TBry) are still in the league. 

The problem is the memories of all the years since then are in their active memory as well.