March Madness 2024

1 hour ago, Sea Turtle said:

He just signed a guy 7'3".

They bring back almost everybody. They aren't going anywhere. 

Almost everybody back?  That may be true but one of their losses is huge.  I do see them as top 10-15 preseason rankings type good.  But they shouldn't be in FF consideration.

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Prepare to be shocked lol. 

Won’t be the first or last…but I watch enough NBA basketball to see how he doesn’t fit. The game is played with even more space than college. Sure I can see him making a team and being a guy on the end of the bench getting a few minutes here and there but ever being a starter? No. So why would you invest a first rd pick in a player you can’t start? Again…I might be wrong but if I’m him I go back to school…take the guaranteed huge NIL money and try one more time for a championship. Nothing will change from this year to next. He will still be 7’4…still won’t be a fit for the nba game and his career won’t be any different.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I’d be shocked if he is a first rd pick. 

20 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Prepare to be shocked lol. 

If Edey was allowed to enter the WNBA draft, Caitlin Clark would still be the #1 pick.  

• Haha 5

37 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Won’t be the first or last…but I watch enough NBA basketball to see how he doesn’t fit. The game is played with even more space than college. Sure I can see him making a team and being a guy on the end of the bench getting a few minutes here and there but ever being a starter? No. So why would you invest a first rd pick in a player you can’t start? Again…I might be wrong but if I’m him I go back to school…take the guaranteed huge NIL money and try one more time for a championship. Nothing will change from this year to next. He will still be 7’4…still won’t be a fit for the nba game and his career won’t be any different.

I’m guessing they see a guy who continues to improve every year. He’s only been playing basketball for 6 years and with his dominant 2-year stretch, someone will take a chance on him.

22 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Mid to late 2nd round would be way off every projection I’ve seen but it’s possible. Doubt it tbh. 

Projections don’t mean much. TJD was projected late 1st to early second round, and ending up being the next to last pick in the draft to many GMs’ regrets. 

Edited by Hoosier4Life53

19 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

The problem is he’s slow, and isn’t an exceptional athlete. Can anyone name a 7’4” player with those traits, that has been a success in the NBA? 

Bill Liambeer is probably the closest comparison but it isn't the 80s.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

You’re really reaching now. Smits was probably the best of that bunch, but he could actually shoot outside of 5 ft.

Beside the lucky banked in 3 Edey made against us, I've STILL never seen him score a basket outside 5 feet from the rim...

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Beside the lucky banked in 3 Edey made against us, I've STILL never seen him score a basket outside 5 feet from the rim...

Because he gets such a high percentage shot at the rim. Why go for a much lower percentage attempt?  That’s dumb basketball.  I’d imagine he expands his shot at the next level. 

Edited by Stlboiler23
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

The problem is he’s slow, and isn’t an exceptional athlete. Can anyone name a 7’4” player with those traits, that has been a success in the NBA? 

I already posted his comp.(Marjanovic) I mean Yuo Ming would be probably closest to him in the past and he played in an entirely different NBA. No doubt he will be in the league. Will play some…but he isn’t a viable option…he will get torched at the defensive end….and despite Mike Woodsons opinion…the game isn’t played inside out in the nba. He will have a spot im not disputing that…but he isn’t going to be a starter and he will get exposed.

There are plenty of bigs like Jokic and Embiid but they are much more mobile and can play away from the basket. Plus every team could throw a 7 footer at him….his size won’t be nearly an advantage (almost all have a big like him that he won’t be able to push around…check the rosters). With the widened lanes…he won’t be able to camp underneath…just the whole game is different….now if he learns to face up and play…and is able to work on his agility and improve there…sure than…but I’ve never seen someone make the leap he would have to.

4 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I miss the old days when IU was discussed on and IU message board. Not sorry.

Since I am a VU alum, how about I inject the Trailblazers into every thread. VU hold the record # of National Njcaa TITLE appearances with 34. VU truly own this state !!! 34 TITLE appearances !!

John Holmes was one of the talented coaches..... JOHN FREAKIN HOLMES !!!

Hey, another VU alum 🙂

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Because he gets such a high percentage shot at the rim. Why go for a much lower percentage attempt?  That’s dumb basketball.  I’d imagine he expands his shot at the next level. 

To what? 7 feet?

He doesn't take outside of 5 because he can't MAKE outside of 5...

• Like 1