Romeo Langford

Some three-point shooting stats from former Indiana Mr. Basketball guards their freshman years:

Kris Wilkes (‘17): 35.2% (4.8 attempts per game)

Kyle Guy (‘16): 49.5% (3.0)

Zak Irvin (‘13): 42.5% (3.9)

Gary Harris (‘12): 41.1% (4.6)

Jordan Hulls (‘09): 40.2% (3.8)

Eric Gordon (‘07): 33.7% (6.5)

A.J Ratliff (‘04): 43.6% (2.1)

Chris Thomas (‘01): 36.9% (6.2)

If Romeo is really as good as we all think he is, he should definitely be able to shoot over 40% from three on 3-5 attempts a game.  With our lack of shooters, we’re going to need him to.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Exactly. If Romeo does indeed choose IU, DG would be playing with 1 5* either way and Romeo>Shittu, IU roster>Vandy roster, Archie>Drew, and IU basketball program>Vandy basketball program. Really the only things better about Vandy for DG are it is hometown (since they moved there in 8th grade) school and he can be the best player on the team without competition.

I would really like to see Garland vs. Green...it won't happen, because Vandy's ceiling is NIT 6 seed, but I would put my money on Devonte. Devonte can be so good.

Edit: sorry I misread your post. I thought you said the only thing better about Vandy, is DG. But I would still love to see DG vs DG

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Some three-point shooting stats from former Indiana Mr. Basketball guards their freshman years:

If Romeo is really as good as we all think he is, he should definitely be able to shoot over 40% from three on 3-5 attempts a game.  With our lack of shooters, we’re going to need him to.

Great post. I don't think Romeo will have any problem shooting 38%+ from 3 next year.

38 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

I would really like to see Garland vs. Green...it won't happen, because Vandy's ceiling is NIT 6 seed, but I would put my money on Devonte. Devonte can be so good.

Edit: sorry I misread your post. I thought you said the only thing better about Vandy, is DG. But I would still love to see DG vs DG

Green can be really good or he can also be really bad.  He had a few games at the end of last season where he barely played.   Consistency will determine how much he plays this season. 

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Judging from those numbers, it's obvious that RoJo is a better shooter than 2017 NBA 3pt champion Eric Gordon. 

18 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Judging from those numbers, it's obvious that RoJo is a better shooter than 2017 NBA 3pt champion Eric Gordon. 

Gordon was hurt most of the year he was with IU.  He had that wrist injury that nagged him half the year.  Otherwise i assume he would have shot well into the 40's.  He was just that good.

22 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Was honestly pretty surprised at how low that number was for Gordon.  Granted, he attempted almost one more three per game than RoJo did, and efficiency is going to go down as attempts go up.  You’re also comparing a senior Johnson to a freshman Gordon.  And like I said earlier, if you take out the crazy Iowa game, RoJo shot 34.5% from three on the season, which is pretty comparable to Gordon’s percentage.  Regardless, I would say that just looking at the numbers, Gordon was not a great three point shooter during his one season at IU.

Edit - The wrist injury would also obviously affect Gordon’s shooting.

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Was honestly pretty surprised at how low that number was for Gordon.  Granted, he attempted almost one more three per game than RoJo did, and efficiency is going to go down as attempts go up.  You’re also comparing a senior Johnson to a freshman Gordon.  And like I said earlier, if you take out the crazy Iowa game, RoJo shot 34.5% from three on the season, which is pretty comparable to Gordon’s percentage.  Regardless, I would say that just looking at the numbers, Gordon was not a great three point shooter during his one season at IU.

EJ took many more difficult and  3's than RoJo did in his entire career.  I'm not putting down RoJo, but the numbers aren't very comparable.

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Out of curiosity, what were Bailey's numbers?

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Edit - The wrist injury would also obviously affect Gordon’s shooting.

You know you keep saying things like if you take out the crazy numbers. That has no basis. Your numbers are your numbers — you could also take out Rob’s worst game or games and his percentages obviously would increase. You can always take out bad games for anyone and improve their percentages, that doesn’t mean anything — the numbers are already averages, they already account for ALL games, good and bad, that’s why they’re averages, and the sample size is large and over 4 years. 

Rob's 4 years:

Frosh: 38.8%

Soph: 44.7%

Jr: 37%

Sr: 37.3%

Saying hey take out one game and he's a 34.5% shooter is just not accurate.

7 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

What’s the Langford anything say? Anything noteworthy? Won’t load for me.

Not really. Romeo pretty much already knows but they are going to discuss everything as a family on the 28th. The quote that Dano posted above was a slight tell for me, but the family is doing it's best to maintain some suspense and I think that's a good thing.  It's not nearly as much fun if there's no mystery.

6 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

You know you keep saying things like if you take out the crazy numbers. That has no basis. Your numbers are your numbers — you could also take out Rob’s worst game or games and his percentages obviously would increase. You can always take out bad games for anyone and improve their percentages, that doesn’t mean anything — the numbers are already averages, they already account for ALL games, good and bad, that’s why they’re averages, and the sample size is large and over 4 years. 

All it really shows is that Rob was pretty streaky.  He was a good shooter from 3 but in an ideal world, he would have been a bit more consistent.

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

All it really shows is that Rob was pretty streaky.  He was a good shooter from 3 but in an ideal world, he would have been a bit more consistent.

I agree he was streaky generally, but look up at the percentages over his 4 years, never shot less than 37% for a season. He was and is a good 3-point shooter, that's getting misconstrued, but it's just fact. He was not the guy who could take over and be a consistently dynamite scorer, but he's a very good 3-point shooter.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I agree he was streaky generally, but look up at the percentages over his 4 years, never shot less than 37% for a season. He was and is a good 3-point shooter, that's getting misconstrued, but it's just fact. He was not the guy who could take over and be a consistently dynamite scorer, but he's a very good 3-point shooter.

He's not a very good 3pt shooter. He's a solid one. nothing more. 37% is not "very good"

14 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Rob's 4 years:

Frosh: 38.8%

Soph: 44.7%

Jr: 37%

Sr: 37.3%

Saying hey take out one game and he's a 34.5% shooter is just not accurate.

He went 9/12 in a single game.  That was a total outlier compared to the rest of the season.  He only hit 66 threes the entire season, so that one game accounted for a hugely disproportionate percentage of the threes he hit last season.  It’s totally accurate to say that considering the entire season outside that single outlier game, he was a pretty average to below average shooter overall.   I’m not talking about prior seasons, as he was a pretty good shooter his freshman and sophomore years.

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He's not a very good 3pt shooter. He's a solid one. nothing more. 37% is not "very good"

Agree. I'd call him solid or slightly above average. IMO "very good" is 40%+ and excellent is when you start getting into the 43+ percentages. 

43 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

He went 9/12 in a single game.  That was a total outlier compared to the rest of the season.  He only hit 66 threes the entire season, so that one game accounted for a hugely disproportionate percentage of the threes he hit last season.  It’s totally accurate to say that considering the entire season outside that single outlier game, he was a pretty average to below average shooter overall.   I’m not talking about prior seasons, as he was a pretty good shooter his freshman and sophomore years.

Would you like me to take out his bad game(s) and change the percentages? Would it then be totally accurate, after removing one of his bad games, to say his percentages were higher? No, it doesn't work like that. Are you ignoring the three prior years when he shot 38.8%, 44.7%, and 37%? Yes, you are. 

He's a good shooter. Whether people don't think someone who shoots at least 37% over 4 years is "very" good is subjective, and I have no issue with that. I also don't think he's a "great" shooter, and did not say so. He was not able to develop his game to create his own shot more consistently after the key scorers around him left for the NBA/graduated. All the above does, from my standpoint, is to nitpick on a player you weren't big on. That's ok, but no, it's not totally accurate.

44 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. I'd call him solid or slightly above average. IMO "very good" is 40%+ and excellent is when you start getting into the 43+ percentages. 

I'd say anyone who shot at least 40% on the season (with a good sample size, volume) is a great shooter, but that's totally subjective, and whether you call him solid or very good is all fair. There really aren't many volume 40% 3-point shooters....

Archived