Romeo Langford

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, I don't understand what Gordon's body has to do with it? Yes, his power is a huge asset for him, but that power isn't a requirement to being a great player. It helped him, but from everything I've heard/read Langford is more of a smooth, longer, athlete, which comes with huge benefits as well. 

The last year he has really became a true wild card defensively. Some of it is because NA is a little short in their lineup 6'4/5 and 6'3 to go along with Romeo, but his defense on Bazley was tremendous, I saw him guard Nunge well also.. even though he was giving up 5in-6in. And he can obviously use his length to guard smaller players. I think that is a major area where he sets himself apart from someone like Gordon. (Who I loved at IU)

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

I’m just going off what I saw. Saw him play against Hill, McRoberts, Oden, Conley, Carney, Rose, Teague... All in organized school games, not just run-n-gun AAU matchups. If you’re right and Langford is the better player...well...we should be expecting a run at the title next year because that would put Langford in his own category; because Gordon was top-tier in HS at his position.

To be fair, I will say Oden was the most dominant of that group. He was a freak.

In my lifetime these are the best players I have watched in Indiana high school basketball.

Alford, Blackmon(the dad), Skiles, Kemp, Montross, Bailey, Oden, Henderson, Robinson(the big dog), Gordon, Romeo.  I know there is more but this is off the top of my head.

5 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

But are you 100% positive you aren’t just romanticizing your 30s? That’s the real question here!:D

Just teasing you KOB! :cheers:

Probably I am because I use to get into good discussions on here about how basketball of today does not compare to what it was in the 80's and 90's.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

In my lifetime these are the best players I have watched in Indiana high school basketball.

Alford, Blackmon(the dad), Skiles, Kemp, Montross, Bailey, Oden, Henderson, Robinson(the big dog), Gordon, Romeo.  I know there is more but this is off the top of my head.

Shawn Kemp was outrageous in high school.  He'd get an inbounds pass, then go coast-to-coast and dunk over the entire opposing team. I am not saying he was the most complete high school player, but he was in a world of his own. 

You guys are probably all too young.

George McGinnis was Lebron before there ever was a Lebron.

Man amongst boys in high school.

All-state in both football and basketball.

Played one year for IU as a sophomore-back when freshmen couldn't play. Only averaged 31 ppg. Then left and went pro.

He and Oscar are the standards to compare any Indiana prep player to 

I’m enjoying this convo because I’m torn myself.  For me Gordon was a better shooter (slightly) better defender, and finishes at the rim better.  These are just my opinions and my mind could be changed if I watched more of Romeo.  Very good and cordial convo fellas!! 

Edit: I’ll add that I think because of his length and size that Romeo has more upside.  Again just my opinion.

17 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Edit: I’ll add that I think because of his length and size that Romeo has more upside.  Again just my opinion.

I would agree with this. I could easily see Romeo having a better career in the long run. It would’ve been nice to see what Gordon would have done without the knee injuries.

I can't speak on Romeo because I haven't seen him play. In the one highlight video I've seen of him, he far exceeded my expectations.

I've said in many conversations that not many HS kids come in and dominate the college game as freshmen. I know there are some that are really good, but Gordon could and would take over games. He came in with NBA size and developed NBA talent. Many of these guys come in and need to add bulk. Many need to refine their raw skills. Gordon didn't need to do any of that. To me, he truly had that feel of a man amongst boys.

9 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Its too early to know how this year compares, but Gordon was a top 2 or 3 recruit in a stacked class.

Mayo, Rose, Beasley, Love, DeAndre Jordan, Harden, Griffin.  Lot's of high end prospects in that class.

Yeah Gordon was great. I haven't seen anyone say otherwise; I've seen a lot say Romeo isn't in that elite level like Gordon which is silly. 

10 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’m enjoying this convo because I’m torn myself.  For me Gordon was a better shooter (slightly) better defender, and finishes at the rim better.  These are just my opinions and my mind could be changed if I watched more of Romeo.  Very good and cordial convo fellas!! 

I never saw Gordon play in high school, but I've never considered him to be a 'shooter'.  A 'scorer', most definitely.  But, his three point percentage was never great at IU or in the NBA.

48 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I never saw Gordon play in high school, but I've never considered him to be a 'shooter'.  A 'scorer', most definitely.  But, his three point percentage was never great at IU or in the NBA.

Gordon was a great shooter and scorer in high school.  I was in HS at the same time, in the same conference, and watched him many times.  Yes his % isn’t outstanding in the NBA- 37% (he did shoot 44.8% from 3 a couple seasons ago), but most of his points come from distance.  His shooting is the main reason he got 6th man of the year and won the NBA 3pt contest last year.  I’ve watched him since he was 14- shooting is by far the best part of his game.

When comparing him and Romeo the main difference I see is the smoothness of Romeo.  Gordons game was more power based in HS.  I saw him throw down tomahawk dunks all over the MIC due to his strength and althleticism.  With Romeo, I’ve never seen a kid make the game look this easy.  It’s very impressive to watch, and he kind of reminds me of Kyrie in terms of his fluidity on the court. Never seems to be going full speed, but is so damn efficient.

Romeos b-ball IQ is sky high,  his jumper is flawless, he has similar athleticism to Gordon, has better length, and defensively he seems more advanced at this point in their careers. Eric Gordon has been a very good NBA player, but I think Romeo could find himself in the elite tier of NBA players within the next 4-5 years. Advantage Romeo.

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That is just your opinion and not a fact just like it is my opinion that Gordon was the better player.

I'm asking you why you feel that way Jesus. I fully understand what a fact and opinion are, we have been going over that with my first graders the past two weeks. They have to support their answer with a reason why though....

10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

playing basketball

I’ve watched Gordon at least 20 times in person, but I’ve only watched Romeo once in person and on TV and YouTube. I think I’ve seen enough though to question how you can make this blanket statement. They are very comparable and I’m a huge Gordon fan.

13 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

Shawn Kemp was outrageous in high school.  He'd get an inbounds pass, then go coast-to-coast and dunk over the entire opposing team. I am not saying he was the most complete high school player, but he was in a world of his own. 

He didn't do that to Rick Fox!!!!!!!!  LOL

19 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

I just scrolled through this and I feel like i need to comment on it.

Romeo is NOT better than EJ.

Thats just a fact. EJ was incredible in high school. 

Will he eventually be better? Maybe. But at this point in their careers...no way. 

Again.. you have seen them both enough to know?. "Thats just a fact" no.. absolutely it is not. The only thing I see he does better than Romeo is his ability to go get a bucket. And that was in HS and how much stronger he was than everyone. Romeo overall is a better basketball player. I honestly believe he is a better shooter, as well.. though I think that category is extremely close. The extra 2-3 inches and length really matter in this discussion. 

2 hours ago, hoosier10 said:

I’ve watched Gordon at least 20 times in person, but I’ve only watched Romeo once in person and on TV and YouTube. I think I’ve seen enough though to question how you can make this blanket statement (its Scott so I’m not surprised).  They are very comparable and I’m a huge Gordon fan.

No need to insult other members. 

1 hour ago, RoadToZion said:

I just scrolled through this and I feel like i need to comment on it.

Romeo is NOT better than EJ.

Thats just a fact. EJ was incredible in high school. 

Will he eventually be better? Maybe. But at this point in their careers...no way. 

Yes, it would be nice to at least see how Romeo handles the transition to college before we anoint him as among the "elite" in the NBA. Can he get there someday? Probably, but those that talk as if it is foregone conclusion should take Eric Gordon and the injuries that have limited his career as a cautionary tale. Romeo is damn good, certainly a once in a decade type of talent, but talk of him being better than Eric Gordon is at best extremely premature and at worst foolish. 

8 minutes ago, hoosierBGH said:

Yes, it would be nice to at least see how Romeo handles the transition to college before we anoint him as among the "elite" in the NBA. Can he get there someday? Probably, but those that talk as if it is foregone conclusion should take Eric Gordon and the injuries that have limited his career as a cautionary tale. Romeo is damn good, certainly a once in a decade type of talent, but talk of him being better than Eric Gordon is at best extremely premature and at worst foolish. 

Who said he's an elite player in the nba?

Archived